You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 10 Films Ever

Markmywords

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outright comedies aside:

Fargo

Godfather 1&2

Cinema Paradiso

Blade Runner

The Wild Bunch

My Life as a Dog

Un Prophete

Citade de Deus

Chinatown

Trees Lounge

The Third Man

Little Big Man

Donnie Brasco

Goodfella's

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Bonnie and Clyde

Counting has never been a strong point of mine. So stick them in your pipe and smoke them!

I’m surprised to note that there doesn’t seem to be too many pretentious shite choices. Threads like this usually bring out some people trying to come across with the most obscure movies. Nice to see no one putting in some shite 1970s subtitled wank and claiming it has fantastic lighting or some such bolox. So well done all.

It’s an impossible question though as it changes all the time. But in no order I love;

The Shawshank Redemption

Godfather I

Godfather II

Raging Bull

Goodfellas

Pulp Fiction

12 Angry Men

One flew over the cuckoos next

Jaws

Platoon

The Sting was a great shout by someone.

Schindlers List

Saving Private Ryan

The Silence of the Lambs

My absolute, out and out favourite- LOTR trilogy- pure cinema genius. Not seen a better film (I'm counting it as one, as Tolkien did with the books) before or since.

The other nine, in no particular order:

Gladiator- Russell Crowe owns this film. Outstanding.

Blazing Saddles- Mel Brook's masterpiece.

Airplane!- I have never laughed so much in one film. Hysterically funny.

Ghostbusters- Bill Murray. Enough said.

Kingdom of Heaven- Not everybody's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it.

Up- Disney Pixar's best ever.

Godfather I and II- Fantastic films. Could have been one of the greatest ever trilogies, but for the third one shitting it all up.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels- Brilliant and funny. Ritchie's finest.

To follow on from what JohnnyH was saying, glad there's not much pretention going on in the thread, and my list changes all the time too, with the exception of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But I've gone for my favourites as they stand at the minute. I'm hoping that Robin Hood will be in there come May this year....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
There are so many good films that it is hard, without spending ages on a site like flickchart, to really give a definitive list. Here are some films that I really like, in no real order:

Pulp Fiction

Snatch

In Bruges

Good Will Hunting

The Hustler

12 Angry Men

Forest Gump

Cast Away

K-PAX

Die Hard

Groundhog Day

GoodFellas

The Godfather

White Men Can't Jump

I already know that I've missed loads that I could watch repeatedly, but fuck it.

In Bruge.

Fucking great film.

I might just buy that tomorrow.

Edited by Walton Park

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Alvin and the Chipmunks 2

Moma’s Big House

Hostel

Pearl Harbour

Officer and a Gentleman

Top Gun

Titanic

The Patriot

Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 (in pre-production)

Top Ten are pretty much set in stone, the next ten are more changeable.

1. City Lights

2. Synecdoche New York

3. Fargo

4. The Big Lebowski

5. The Seventh Seal

6. Pulp Fiction

7. Blade Runner

8. 2001: A Space Odyssey

9. Taxi Driver

10. Stroszek

11. My Neighbour Totoro

12. Aguirre: The Wrath of God

13. Ikiru

14. Rashomon

15. There Will Be Blood

16. No Country For Old Men

17. Sanjuro

18. Sideways

19. Heart of Glass

20. The 25th Hour

Top Ten are pretty much set in stone, the next ten are more changeable.

1. City Lights

2. Synecdoche New York

3. Fargo

4. The Big Lebowski

5. The Seventh Seal

6. Pulp Fiction

7. Blade Runner

8. 2001: A Space Odyssey

9. Taxi Driver

10. Stroszek

11. My Neighbour Totoro

12. Aguirre: The Wrath of God

13. Ikiru

14. Rashomon

15. There Will Be Blood

16. No Country For Old Men

17. Sanjuro

18. Sideways

19. Heart of Glass

20. The 25th Hour

Interesting top 20, some I'd put in mine. The one in bold is a surprise though, especially as the other films were superbly directed. It was a mess.

Interesting top 20, some I'd put in mine. The one in bold is a surprise though, especially as the other films were superbly directed. It was a mess.

I couldn't even begin to describe how much I love that film, mess or not, as it pushed my buttons in so many different ways that other films never would. Maybe it calls for a certain mentality (depressive, probably) for it have such an impact, or maybe that's bollocks too, I don't know. I suspect the way it affected me on certain levels has blinded me somewhat to its flaws. It does seem to garner a love/hate response. The layered detail in the writing is just amazing though- but then Kaufman is more writer than director I guess.

1. Shawshank Redemption

2. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

3. Dog Day Afternoon

4. American Beauty

5. Goodfellas

6. Groundhog Day

7. Midnight Cowboy

8. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

9. Children Of Men

10. In Bruges

This is not set in stone (well not the last five). I may have to change this if I remember a film that I have forgotten. But these films are my favourites as I see it right now. With the exception of Goodfellas (which is utterly cool) and Groundhog Day (which has an unwavering ability to make me smile constantly as I watch it) all the others have at least one scene in them which really moves me.

Spoilers

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Shawshank - The reunion at the end, when Red looks up and sees "Brooks was here"

Cuckoo's - When the Chief speaks, when the Chief sets McMurphy free

Dog Day - Anytime Sonny is vulnerable or afraid, also when he is killed

American Beauty - The look on Kevin Spacey's face when he is told his daughter is in love and that same look being on his face when he is dead.

Midnight Cowboy - Practically everything Ratso does but especially when he drifts off at the end.

Eternal Sunshine - The sequence where he is trying to hide Clementine away in his distant memories. It is just a beautiful idea executed to perfection.

Children of Men - The scene where they bring out the baby and everything just stops. I'm literally welling up thinking about it. One of the most powerful scenes in cinema history.

In Bruges - When Ken is preparing to kill Ray but finds that Ray is about to kill himself. The scene between them after that is just beautiful. A perfect blend of comedy and tragedy. You really feel for Ray in a way I never thought I could feel for a Colin Farrell character. And the scene when Ken falls from the tower to warn Ray. Brilliant.

I'll give it a whirl though narrowing to 10 is hard for the indecisive.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird

2. The Third Man

3. East of Eden

4. Casablanca

5. Mr Smith Goes to Washington

6. Godfather 1 & 2

7. Goodfellas

8. As Good as it Gets

9. Life is Beautiful

10. Singin' in the Rain

10.5 Gone with the Wind