You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sanchez Ayala

Kopite Pete

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, after settling down from early nerves he looked fine yesterday and slotted in well. Having Carra next to him will do no harm whatsoever. He's a big lad and still only 19 I think so plenty of hope for him.

However, I await "he's shit" "another crap foreigner" "Macia's a cunt" "Hobbs is better" to soon drag the thread down and depress everyone.

He's much improved from the player that he was in the U18's last season. Would still rather see him be loaned out next season and get some regular first team football, as it would be far more beneficial than sitting on our bench, and getting the odd ressies game. He's only 19, so still has plenty of time to prove himself. Hopefully the few first team games he's had, will mean a higher calibre of team will take him on loan.

It's worth bearing in mind that it was Burnley.

He has made plenty of progression this season though and the reserves certainly don't look the same at the back without him.

4th choice? I am not sure. Maybe this time next year if his progression continues at the same pace.

We have four centre halfs anyway. Carra and Agger are definitley keeps. The greek is a good man to rotate when we have the more physical away ties like against Stoke where he was immense and not against Atletico away where they are more tricky and fast. Sell Skrtel and replace him with a good up and coming English centre half to fight with Carra and Agger. Maybe even be Carra's ling term replacement.

I like Ayala though, he is only 19. Evans didn't break into the mancs team until last year and he was 23.

I'd still like to see Wilson brought to be in the first team, but with San Jose most likely leaving and as the rest of the youth/ressie players are a long way from ready Ayala is definitely next in line. I'd like to see him go and play a full season somewhere. He looks like a talent though.

One of the highlights of the season for me was when we played Burnley reserves with Owen Coyle playing as a striker. Ayala kicked the crap out of him from minute 1 to minute 90. Coyle was seriously losing it.

Remember seeing the highlights of that and thought that Coyle was going to slap him

Did well yesterday, pretty solid. Not ready to be 4th choice tho, a season on loan in the championship would do him good.

Regards to a new cb in the summer, i'd like to see cahill from bolton, he can play the ball out of defence and is good with his feet, strong in the air. Would be a good succesor to carra imho. Could mean the end of Skrtel tho which would be a shame.

Ayala looked good yesterday, and I think he could become an excellent player in the long term. How does he compare with Kelly at centre half though? Or do people see Kelly as a right back?

It's too close to call between the two IMO. Ayala reads the game better, gets caught out of position less but Kelly's attitude and mentality are spot on. He's definitely a center back playing as a full back for experience but based on his performance against Lyon you wouldn't bet against him being able to make a career out of it. Injuries and slow healing are what you worry about with him though.

San Jose's been sold hasn't he? Been solid for AB every time I've seen them this season. Think we missed a trick there.

He's on loan with an option to buy (for a rumoured 2-3.5m). He always looked good in the reserves until he came up against a big pacy bruiser when he was absolutely brutalized. Hasn't much pace either. Was nice on the ball though.

Of the three that are about the same age Kelly, Ayala and San Jose, San Jose is definitely the one I would let go.

You seen much of him @ AB then? He's played at full back a couple of times hasn't he?

I really like the improved Ayala. He has the potential to be a very commanding centre back for years to come.

Of the defenders we have in the reserve setup, I think that Ayala is the strongest, most aggressive and the most dominant in the air.

I like the fact that he's not intimidated by any centre forward he comes up against, and whilst at the moment he is prone to the odd rash challenge, over time, he'll learn to channel his aggression and improve his timing in the tackle.

He's not the most technically gifted player, but he knows this, and in general likes to give the ball short to either a full back or a deep lying midfielder to then set up a move.

As for the others mentioned in this thread, I think Kelly is suited better as a right back at the first team level, San Jose could, and in my view, should, be utilised as a holding midfielder, sitting just in front of a centre back pairing, and Mavinga is better used at centre back than he is at left back, but this is based purely on reserve level football. He, much like Kelly, may be better suited to a full back position if he gets a chance at first team level.

Another player who has caught my eye since he's joined is Victor Palsson, who seems comfortable both at the back, or in midfield. He comes across as another who is not intimidated by his opposition and has the aggression needed to succeed at a higher level than the reserves, but probably not at the very top level to be fair.

I thought he did well yesterday after an iffy opening 10 minutes or so.

I'd send him out on loan for the whole of next season though. It'd be better for him to get regular first team football than bi-montly reserve games and the odd first team one here and there as fifth choice centre-half.

You seen much of him @ AB then? He's played at full back a couple of times hasn't he?

I've never seen him at full back. He's always been at CB, the times I've seen Bilbao.

He held his own against the forwards he's faced. And like you said, he's calm and assured on the ball, seems to read the game well, is a decent header of the ball as well. Plus he's only 20, and he's gaining valuable experience in Spain.

I think we should hold on to him, 3 million is practically nothing these days.

• 2 months later...

Kop kid Ayala eyes return to Spain

Liverpool youngster Dani Ayala is set for a season-long loan to Valladolid with a view to a permanent move. The 19-year-old central defender was tipped for stardom when he joined Liverpool from Sevilla in September 2007 and played five times for the club last season. But he has only one year left on his contract, and after the departure of Rafa Benitez is eyeing a return to Spain with second division side Valladolid.

He said: “Right now I am waiting to see what my future is because I don’t know what will happen now Benitez has left. I am happy at Liverpool but I would be very excited to play in Spain.”

Kop kid Ayala eyes return to Spain - Football News - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

-----------------------------------

I think ayala has the potential to succeed & we should definitely be keeping him. Disheartening that we've let him come to last year on his contract.

Kop kid Ayala eyes return to Spain

Liverpool youngster Dani Ayala is set for a season-long loan to Valladolid with a view to a permanent move. The 19-year-old central defender was tipped for stardom when he joined Liverpool from Sevilla in September 2007 and played five times for the club last season. But he has only one year left on his contract, and after the departure of Rafa Benitez is eyeing a return to Spain with second division side Valladolid.

He said: “Right now I am waiting to see what my future is because I don’t know what will happen now Benitez has left. I am happy at Liverpool but I would be very excited to play in Spain.”

Kop kid Ayala eyes return to Spain - Football News - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

-----------------------------------

I think ayala has the potential to succeed & we should definitely be keeping him. Disheartening that we've let him come to last year on his contract.

That's a shame, he definitely shouldn't be sold, looks a quality prospect. When he came on against Chav$ki at Anfield, he pocketed Drogba for the remainder of that game and we didn't concede. Be a shame if we let both him and San Jose go.