You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chris De Burgh

Liverpool supporters opposing George Gillett and Tom Hicks' ownership of the club have received a massive boost after Irish crooner Chris De Burgh added his voice to calls for the pair to leave.

The 'Lady in Red' singer, 61, has long been known for his love of the Reds and was a shareholder at Anfield before being forced to sell to the Americans as part of their takeover in February 2007.

With the club currently seeking investment to reduce debts of £237 million incurred through loans by Hicks and Gillett, De Burgh described the pair's running of the club as "a complete b******s" and claims that the duos' families were clueless about their presence at the stadium.

He said: "I bought some shares in Liverpool because I wanted to have something for my children in the future.

"Unfortunately, when the Americans bought the club, I had to sell my shares. They have made a complete b******s".

"I've had an opportunity to spend quite a lot of time with both of these gentlemen concerned and I cannot say that I was much impressed.

"In the directors' lounge, their families would turn up in scarves and hats, all newly bought. Most of them didn't have a clue why they were there.

"These people are not football supporters and more importantly they are not Liverpool Football Club supporters and they should go."

The Liverpool Supporters Union - Spirit of Shankly, who have vociferously opposed the Americans' ownership, welcomed De Burgh's comments, made to a packed audience at Dublin's Submarine Bar in Dublin last week.

A spokesman said: "Chris De Burgh's latest comments echo the sentiments of many Liverpool fans about Hicks and Gillett.

"It is good to hear those who are more in the public eye, particularly being an ex-shareholder, expressing to fans their feelings on the damage that Tom and George are doing to the club.

"We are now stepping up our 'Not Welcome Here' campaign now against Hicks and Gillett. Liverpool fans are famous for their banners and we are now urging them to make banners calling for Hicks and Gillett to sell up."

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEVdQffiZ0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEVdQffiZ0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

EXCLUSIVE: Celebrity Liverpool FC fan speaks out against owners > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Haha 19 seconds in " I have something for your daughter "

Get that bastard to sign up because I'm going to drop a mega rep bomb on his arse. Top quality. I mean, totally inapropriate an' all, but sheer brilliance.

Is this the guy who wrote in the programme, "I couldn't think how I was going to get to Istanbul. Then I remembered, "My Private Jet""?

I remember going through the same thoughts but completely forgot about this option

He ain't that rich!!!!! he only has a helicopter!! I know he goes to games in it!

now if he could just record a single in support of them he'd really help the cause - hell, he could even do it with the corrs...

He already recorded a single in 1998 protesting against Houllier's first abysmal signing, that ''Don't Pay For Ferri, Man! Don't Even Fix A Price...''

• Upvote 1