You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lille vs Reds

Vincent Vega

Lucas did look much more promising, but it has to be said -- this was a game, especially in that first half, that suited him. Slower pace, more space, not very physical. Its going to be a different job entirely on Sunday, and to be honest I don't know which one of them would be more effective (or less ineffective) in a fast-paced, brutally physical test.

When we lost our way was when the link through midfield broke down. We have a real problem with allowing our defense and attack to separate. I reckon Aquilani's a better player for connecting our play that way, but Lucas has the experience of big fuck-off grudge matches now and he might just be the better choice.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of what you've said. Regarding Lucas, he did continue to break forward but like Piscinin says Torres and Gerrard can sometimes ignore him so the runs he makes end up being futile. I would like to see his teammates put more trust in him and try to find him more often.

It didn't seem to be so much of a problem with Aquilani against Portsmouth, who continually linked well with Torres and Gerrard.

The players train together every day so maybe it's just a case that Aquilani is far better than Lucas? Certainly in terms of being dangerous in the final third, Aquilani did more on Monday night than Lucas has done in fifty odd games in that sense.

Lucas did well tonight though, so he deserves credit for it. I'd pick Aquilani on Sunday though; contrary to popular belief, the Mancs are hardly a physical side with the likes of Carrick and Fletcher in midfield.

I wouldn't pick Kuyt; Maxi works just as hard but is a much better footballer.

Just got in from the match.

In short, a match made to look easier than it actually was. We showed the best of us and worst of us in the space of 90 minutes. Once more we lacked width and urgency and all we fucking did was come inside for the ball and that includes Babel and Kuyt. We simply have too many people in midfield especially with Lucas. We lack that drive and the ability to spread the ball.

Babel done nothing again, and gave Insua fuck all option on the wing. Because he kept coming inside.

We looked woefully out of ideas sometimes and the result really doesn't tell the whole story. Lille where shocking infront of goal, and any half decent would have exploited us.

I know we won 3-0 and all that but it really wasn't a performance the score deserved. Apart from one or two chances in the second half Lille really didn't look to have a hold on the game.

But we really need to kill teams off when we get the 1st so early, no stepping back we need to play with ambition and attacking impetus.

Delighted with the result, but disappointed with the 'ambition' rather than the performance especially after the Pompey game.

606: DEBATE

What more proof or facts does anyone need that Rafa should stay at Anfield for at least another ten years?

rich05ard

Hahahahahaha.

He must be on the wind-up.

Decent game, some great performances by Torres and Mascherano, Lucas and Agger deserve a shout too. Reina was superb when called upon as usual, even though that ball came off his nut, it is very difficult to keep still when you're expectin to dive one way or another. World class save.

Oh, and I thought Kuyt was Kuyt.

606: DEBATE

What more proof or facts does anyone need that Rafa should stay at Anfield for at least another ten years?

rich05ard

Hahahahahaha.

Good back to back performances credit to rafa and the boys

but, another ten years of shit football for the firstseven months of a season and when the title is lost go for it? No thanks

All it's proving is we had the ability to challenge but bad tactics stopped us

I can't believe you're having a crack at Insua tonight Ant. He played really well. I'm beginning to thing Babel is Harvey Dent. Tonight he flipped the coin and it landed on the scarred side. Dirk was ok first half but very poor second.

That Balmont is a tenacious little bastard, with some good passing and movement. I like him.

Semi convincing display tonight, we are all happy to be thru, can only presume the pain of not being in the CL is spurring the team on at the mo, the Thursday league does suck, especially the away pitches etc.

The team seems to have a better feel since Aquilani's debut on Monday, nice to see Lucas realizes there is competition for his place!

My massive question is when will Rafa replace Kewell, ok, some will say Berger was the last decent leftman, but Kewell was atleast encouraged by Rafa, and lets face it we do not have a decent left sided player, except Benny (out of position), Babel is an amazing talent and a top class manager (maybe Ryan will save Rafa's arse!) would develop him into a world-beater, but he needs to be on the right, where he can get to the by-line instead of having to cut inside everytime coz he has no left foot! Its like having the Ginger playing right wing!

He has no right being on the left!

Average Albert? Dont make me laugh! He is one of many who need to find a new home!

We used to have the best midfield in the world and it wasn't that long ago, we only need one top-class midfielder, one top-class defender, and a top-class support for Nando! We can do these things, but we need Euro football, that's the minimum, Rafa is supposed to be a Euro manager, he can only understand, presumably, that we must treat each game from here on out like a knock-out and go for the win, in the Liverpool way!!! YNWA