You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What a load of sad revisionist bullshit. Supporters were grumbling because they saw we were about to lose a title we should've been winning.

We were not "about to lose" anything. It was still quite early in the season.

When you come that close to winning, everyone should look at themselves and see if they could have done stuff differently or better. The truth is that the "fans" don't come out of this looking good.

We were not "about to lose" anything. It was still quite early in the season.

When you come that close to winning, everyone should look at themselves and see if they could have done stuff differently or better. The truth is that the "fans" don't come out of this looking good.

It was December 1st (our 15th game), and our form was getting indifferent - 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss in the last 5 games including the game against West Ham. The previous match was at home against Fulham where our manager at the time to most people's bewilderment preferred to start the apprentice Lucas Leiva ahead of the commanding Xabi Alonso against a side that would sit deep and we would need pace on the ball to break down. And in fairness to the boo boys, we actually did lose the league in these two draws and was on top of the table due to games in hand.

It was December 1st (our 15th game), and our form was getting indifferent - 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss in the last 5 games including the game against West Ham. The previous match was at home against Fulham where our manager at the time to most people's bewilderment preferred to start the apprentice Lucas Leiva ahead of the commanding Xabi Alonso against a side that would sit deep and we would need pace on the ball to break down. And in fairness to the boo boys, we actually did lose the league in these two draws and was on top of the table due to games in hand.

So the other draws and losses didn't damage our chances?

Some people moaned and groaned because they shit their pants and thought "oh no another false dawn, let's collectively cry about it" (I guess that's what your alluding to), some were just downright spoilt twats. Either way it was by no definition 'support', and who knows what might have happened if the so-called 12th man would have been more evident at times that season.

Perhaps we'd have even beat Fulham if we'd have put personal preference aside in order to support the apprentice?

Perhaps we'd have even beat Fulham if we'd have put personal preference aside in order to support the apprentice?

Haha, sure, he'd suddenly leap to Xabi's level then! Or you could just admit the manager made a mistake playing him instead of the best midfielder in the league, but it's easier to blame the crowd, what the fuck do they know, right? (Apparantly more than the manager at the time).

Haha, sure, he'd suddenly leap to Xabi's level then! Or you could just admit the manager made a mistake playing him instead of the best midfielder in the league, but it's easier to blame the crowd, what the fuck do they know, right? (Apparantly more than the manager at the time).

We weren't really discussing the manager that's why I never mentioned him. He probably did make a mistake, in my opinion he did, but nothing is certain. What I do know is "our support was fucking shit" around that time, and who knows what it did for the players morale.

Wouldn't say he was the best in that position I've seen, he was world class though. That side was incredible when you think back, it'd wipe the floor with anything in the prem at the moment, save probably the mancs of course with their voodoo shit. Add Suarez to that team and you've got a truly great Liverpool side.

Thinking about past Liverpool sides with great melancholy should be a distinct psychological condition, it actually makes you ill.

Don't expect mongs to admit that they were mongs even if time has proven them to be...mongs.

A title we should have been winning? What a load of fucking shit and it still angers me. How close to that title are you now? We accumulated the highest points total we ever have in the PL, the reason why we didn't win it is because our team wasn't as good as theirs. He probably made mistakes, he also got a fuck lot right, just like every other manager.

Entitled bunch of idiots. I was fucking embarrassed with some of the stuff I heard at anfield that year, good to see that they are still embarrassing themselves with their baseless bullshit.

Don't expect mongs to admit that they were mongs even if time has proven them to be...mongs.

A title we should have been winning? What a load of fucking shit and it still angers me. How close to that title are you now? We accumulated the highest points total we ever have in the PL, the reason why we didn't win it is because our team wasn't as good as theirs. He probably made mistakes, he also got a fuck lot right, just like every other manager.

Entitled bunch of idiots. I was fucking embarrassed with some of the stuff I heard at anfield that year, good to see that they are still embarrassing themselves with their baseless bullshit.

Another disgraceful post from the sewers.

It's about context. When you slate matchgoing reds for booing the team it's dishonest not to take the context into account.

The context is that they are a bunch of morons.

Our bench included yossi and el fucking zhar. How we were even on contention is beyond me.

I was heartbroken that season but I really couldn't have expected more. If we won it with that squad it would have been because the team was greater than the sum of its parts, and you can thank the players and rafa for that.

That's why booing them is moronic.

Some sections of the crowd booed because the football was unambitious in those games and although we went top of the league, the Mancs were in Japan and were gathering games in hand. Everyone in the ground at those games knew we needed to build up a healthy lead to put the Mancs under pressure when they got back. We didn't though. I didn't agree with the booing at the time and I don't now, but everyone knew we were cocking up.

Some sections of the crowd booed because the football was unambitious in those games and although we went top of the league, the Mancs were in Japan and were gathering games in hand. Everyone in the ground at those games knew we needed to build up a healthy lead to put the Mancs under pressure when they got back. We didn't though. I didn't agree with the booing at the time and I don't now, but everyone knew we were cocking up.

I agree with that. The booing was bollocks but it was fans shitting themselves. I've no idea how booing was supposed to help. We threw away that title but its down to Rafa we were even there to throw it away.

Sometimes managers risk the 3 points against the easier sides "use their squad" because they face a stronger side in the next match. It winds me up. I think in the league there was a slight tendency to overthink it. Sometimes you gotta fuck the chess off and join the rest playing draughts in this country.

Its always nice when certain posters vehemently disagree with me. I feel validated.

This isn't about agreeing or disagreeing, it's about you putting forward your argument like a 4 year old upset she won't be allowed to use her princess-dress to kindergarden.

This isn't about agreeing or disagreeing, it's about you putting forward your argument like a 4 year old upset she won't be allowed to use her princess-dress to kindergarden.

Erm...

What a load of sad revisionist bullshit. Supporters were grumbling because they saw we were about to lose a title we should've been winning.

Despite your incredible lack of self awareness, you're right. And if I hadn't already wasted hundreds of posts putting forward rational, fair minded, non confrontational arguments in defence of Rafa, I may have done so today.

One thing TLW taught me though is that trying to reason with idiots makes you just as much of an idiot.

How we were even on contention is beyond me.I was heartbroken that season but I really couldn't have expected more.

We had more world class players in Masch, Torres, Alonso and Gerrard (then) ( arguably Reina) than any of our competitors. Rafa failed with the supporting cast.

I agree that with our points, and goals, total we were unlucky. But that side should have won trophies- and didn't. It was a far stronger side than the one which won Big Ears

It's about context. When you slate matchgoing reds for booing the team it's dishonest not to take the context into account.

It's not dishonest, it's lacking context. Context I did not provide because I was working on the assumption we all know what happened that season and I had no interest in going over old arguments.

Context does not change the fact our support was shit at that time and in no way helped the team and possibly hindered it.

We had more world class players in Masch, Torres, Alonso and Gerrard (then) ( arguably Reina) than any of our competitors. Rafa failed with the supporting cast.

I agree that with our points, and goals, total we were unlucky. But that side should have won trophies- and didn't. It was a far stronger side than the one which won Big Ears

What do you mean, arguably Reina?

What do you mean, arguably Reina?

An international reserve keeper is hard to categorise as "world class".If he had been offered the opportunity in those career defining games, we would know, but he wasn't, so he is a "might have been" rather than "was".

I hate the way that "World class" has become synonymous with "quite good". With Gerrard and Torres in their pomp, and Masch and Alonso still now, there is no doubt.

When you cast your mind back to that spine (including Reina) that was as generous a sprinkling of stardust as we have probably ever had.