You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aquilani

PaulMcC

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I've seen. Unfortunately, the rest of the players are not used to the speed of his passing yet.

All one touch, and looks nice next to Lucas. They both play nice one touch stuff.

This type of play would be ideal if he played for Barca. Our players still dwell on the ball too long. Hopefully they will get used to him, and his passes will generate more chances rather than stun our own players who are not ready for the pass

Aquilani can not be judged on last nights performance due to the weather - made the game a lottery and full of mistakes. The ball wasn't travelling true.

We are all waiting to proclaim him but the reality is that it will take him more than 10 games to get in the grove.

He is getting criticised on tv for trying to play incisive passes when the ball out wide was easier. Maybe in Italy he has confidence that the receiving player can actually control a bag of cement? The key difference in the premier is that defenders come around the player to get the ball and the referees don't blow up for the slightest contact.

The lad has a lot to learn and adapt but has shown enough that he has the right qualities to develop.

IMO what separates the bad/good/great players is what they (can) do when they receive the ball - shit or good pass. It is the milli second moment that defines the quality.

Aquilani has the key skill to receive a ball, immediately have it under control but MOST importantly is moving in the same motion to the next move. This sets him apart as a player.

Sad to say he would be better in Arsenal's team which perfectly suits his style and the press would be wanking over him - and he would become a superstar.

Not his fault he team mates can't trap a ball, pass (nearly) accuartely from two yards, etc, - what the fuck do they do on the training ground??

Anybody who has played football at a decent level will know how hard it is to get match fitness. Your performance is less than 80% for the first 3-6 games so let's give him a chance, eh?

I think there are massive question marks hanging over him - and not just those related to fitness. But then there were always going to be, weren't there? I need to see him start plenty more than three games to form a meaningful opinion.

If memory serves me right, there was always a massive question mark hanging over Billy Whizz, but it never did him any harm. I'm not sure anyone apart from the inflammatory idiots in the press are judging Aquiliani yet - I don't think we'll see anything like his true form until March/April, but I do think he needs to be retained in the team to give him the opportunity to get fit.

I watched him closely last night. He seems to be really struggling to know what position to take up. He rarely finds space. When he does get the ball he is sometimes trying to compensate by trying too much. He's got a very good touch and I'm sure he'll adapt to the pace of the league as he gets his awareness and match fitness back. How good he will be is anybody's guess then.

I actually thought he was very good at finding space.

I like the look of him to be honest.

All my thoughts have been mentioned further up in the thread. Comfortable on the ball, forward thinking, neat & tidy etc etc.

Villa away in those conditions would have been a tough game for him even if he'd been fit all season. He actually started quite brightly but then faded after about 25 mins.

Even though he's giving it's not coming off at the moment, at least he's trying something different & inventive around the box. He obviousley has a decent football brain on him and good vision. A bit more sharpness and I think we'll start to see a few quality killer balls from him.

Somebody said earlier they see promise in the Lucas / Aquilani combo & I agree. I thought Lucas played well against Wolves and was excellent last night. He looks to go forward with the ball much more when Mascherano isn't playing.

Somebody said earlier they see promise in the Lucas / Aquilani combo & I agree. I thought Lucas played well against Wolves and was excellent last night. He looks to go forward with the ball much more when Mascherano isn't playing.

I agree with that. Lucas is growing into a decent player - I think he holds his own against the vast majority of other central midfielders in England - the likes of Reo-Coker, Scott Parker etc... very much the Darren Fletcher of our midfield, if that can be a compliment.

If Masc does go and for the money we would get and be able to reinvest into the first team then it may not be bad business.

Two starts of Aquilani and two wins - they're great stats!

Let's hope he stays fit and this run continues and remember he's only going to get better from here as he gets fitter and more used to the pace of the football. Villa away is a tough game especially in those conditions as well.

Love the way he looks to spray it out wide early.

Think he'll do well with Riera in the side, Passing to Kuyt is like putting petrol in a diesel. Not sure how many times I've seen him look out to the right to spray it and Dirk's been sucking Rafa off or something. Cause he certainly isn't out wide.

how can people say he looks class?

i think hes been average at best and hes never a sitting midfielder in a million fucking years.its either behind the striker(s) or on the bench for me

He needs to make a name for himself, to stand any chance of an Italian call up for the W/C. We as a club need him to enhance, will make my judgement of him at the end of the season. Quite impressed over the two games, with Aquilani. Fitness is his target and maintaining it.

We won't see the best of Aquilani this season in my opinion. He's playing catch up after being injured for so long and not having a proper pre-season, add to that the fact that he's playing with new team mates in a new league then it'll take him a good few months to fulfill his potential.

Which is why it was such a strange signing - but that's another story.

I'd like to see us line up in a slightly different way with Aquilani in the side; I'd like Mascherano to be the defensive midfielder with AA and Gerrard ahead of him, and then the wide players even further advanced, and in wider areas than they currently occupy. That would give more space to Aquilani, Gerrard and Torres, which should allow them to influence the game a bit more. I think we'd see the best of AA in that position, as I don't think he's a defensive midfielder at all.

We won't see the best of Aquilani this season in my opinion. He's playing catch up after being injured for so long and not having a proper pre-season, add to that the fact that he's playing with new team mates in a new league then it'll take him a good few months to fulfill his potential.

Which is why it was such a strange signing - but that's another story.

I'd like to see us line up in a slightly different way with Aquilani in the side; I'd like Mascherano to be the defensive midfielder with AA and Gerrard ahead of him, and then the wide players even further advanced, and in wider areas than they currently occupy. That would give more space to Aquilani, Gerrard and Torres, which should allow them to influence the game a bit more. I think we'd see the best of AA in that position, as I don't think he's a defensive midfielder at all.

I agree with that. Will be next season before we can judge him, also in my eyes.