You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the stat for the number of decent passes which have bounced off his knee or arse?

I'm not Code72. I'm sure he can answer that with a totally unskewed analysis of some probably made up statistics.

That said, the Actim Index is made from a cumulative score based on things like passes completed and shots on target so he can't be doing as badly as everyone seems to think he is.

I'm not Code72. I'm sure he can answer that with a totally unskewed analysis of some probably made up statistics.

That said, the Actim Index is made from a cumulative score based on things like passes completed and shots on target so he can't be doing as badly as everyone seems to think he is.

Once he has the ball under control in space, he's not all that bad. I'm sure that's exactly what the stats will show you.

Dirk's shortcomings are lack of pace, inability to beat a man, and bad touch. These are things which the stats simply don't cover.

He's by no means as bad a player as many people make out, but he is the cause of many of our attacking moves breaking down, so just like Luis Garcia he is a marmite player.

The difference with Kuyt from Luis is that he works harder and is nowhere near as skilled, but the stick both get stems from the amount they lose possession going forward, and it's the kind of thing which people who measure performances only with stats don't pick up on.

Once he has the ball under control in space, he's not all that bad. I'm sure that's exactly what the stats will show you.

Dirk's shortcomings are lack of pace, inability to beat a man, and bad touch. These are things which the stats simply don't cover.

He's by no means as bad a player as many people make out, but he is the cause of many of our attacking moves breaking down, so just like Luis Garcia he is a marmite player.

The difference with Kuyt from Luis is that he works harder and is nowhere near as skilled, but the stick both get stems from the amount they lose possession going forward, and it's the kind of thing which people who measure performances only with stats don't pick up on.

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I think one of the other things that go into the Actim Index is successful dribbles, ie: receives the ball and successfully passes it to a team mate. I think we'd probably find that Dirk loses the ball less than people think.

just been on rawk, There some weird people on there. It seems you can't critisize a player...EVER!

some guy actually thinks kuyt has been good this season!!! I basically said he is shit and he replies by saying kuyt can't stop scoring and gives me a load of stats trying argue back lol

Fact is anyone who has watched us this season should know kuyt has been nothing but shit.

In fact, here's how it's calculated:

What kind of stats are produced?

Actim Stats are a collection of team, player and match statistics. They are derived from all the actions that take place during a match, including goals, shots on target, corners, assists, clean sheets, fouls, off-sides, passes, tackles, blocks and clearances. The raw data can be used to generate a wide range of tables and statistics such as player profiles, team and player head to heads and form guides.

How is the Actim Index calculated?

Complex mathematical formulae were devised to calculate the value of each player's contribution, match by match. In simple terms, the Actim Index comprises six calculations:

# Calculation 1 - Assesses a player's contribution to a winning team, based on points won by the team when he appeared

# Calculation 2 - Assesses a player's performance in each game, by allocating points for actions that positively contribute to a winning performance such as shots, tackles, clearances and saves. It also takes points away from players for negative actions such as yellow/red cards and shots off target

# Calculation 3 - Allocates points based on time on the pitch

# Calculation 4 - Allocates points for goal scorers

# Calculation 5 - Allocates points for assists

# Calculation 6 - Allocates points for clean sheets

So ok, you could claim that Dirk scores highly because of the amount of time he gets on the pitch, but then he won't have scored particularly highly on Calcs 1 and 6 will he?

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I think one of the other things that go into the Actim Index is successful dribbles, ie: receives the ball and successfully passes it to a team mate. I think we'd probably find that Dirk loses the ball less than people think.

How about unsuccessfully receives the ball, or receives the ball and passes backwards or sideways rather than beating a man? Either you aren't following me or being deliberately dense. Stats will tell you certain things about a player, but they won't tell you anywhere near everything. There are no stats for using space, or making clever runs. None for drawing a defender. There's so much which happens in ninety minutes which just isn't measured in the actim index or any other statistical valuation of a player you want to make up. At some point you have to use your judgement as well.

just been on rawk, There some weird people on there. It seems you can't critisize a player...EVER!

some guy actually thinks kuyt has been good this season!!! I basically said he is shit and he replies by saying kuyt can't stop scoring and gives me a load of stats trying argue back lol

Fact is anyone who has watched us this season should know kuyt has been nothing but shit.

RAWK is literally compiled of 90% bell ends, who all apparently have season tickets on the kop, know how to support the team better than anyone else and ignore comments from peripheral posters unless they are deemed negative or different to the thoughts of the "legends", then they'll jump all over you and patronise you until blood seeps from your nose and ears. Add to that people giving you a dressing down if they don't like the topic you start rather than just not involving themselves in it, as well as the persistent "mods, close this thread" shit, you have the most irritanting forum ever.

How about unsuccessfully receives the ball, or receives the ball and passes backwards or sideways rather than beating a man? Either you aren't following me or being deliberately dense. Stats will tell you certain things about a player, but they won't tell you anywhere near everything. There are no stats for using space, or making clever runs. None for drawing a defender. There's so much which happens in ninety minutes which just isn't measured in the actim index or any other statistical valuation of a player you want to make up. At some point you have to use your judgement as well.

I am getting you, I just think that Kuyt is a pretty easy target for whipping boy in our team and it annoys the fuck out of me. For some people, it really sticks in their throats that Kuyt had a good last half of last season because it softens their argument. That's not aimed directly at you btw.

I am getting you, I just think that Kuyt is a pretty easy target for whipping boy in our team and it annoys the fuck out of me. For some people, it really sticks in their throats that Kuyt had a good last half of last season because it softens their argument. That's not aimed directly at you btw.

I do understand that, and I'll be the first to praise him when he's playing well. Unfortunately this season he has been poor overall. Not knocking the goals he's scored, I'm grateful for those, and also he's not the only player to be well below par. I have found him to be very frustrating this season though when he has been the cause of many fruitless attacks. Ideally we would drop him for a bit to let him sort his head out, but with injuries, and only equally poor or worse options to replace him that won't happen.

I hate the Hatred against Kuyt the only time he wioll get a decent rest is when he gets injured. It's fucking wrong he is repped as a workhorse so we overplay him. It's quite obvious the lad is tired but he still plays nearly every game from start to finnish. If he got a rest he woiuld come back like last season's Dirk. I know its wrong but i wish him a minor injury. Mybe a twisted ankle or something that insures he gets a little rest

So he can come back and show what he can do after a nice rest. Then all of you haters would be proved wrong i love Dirk. The guy loves this place and always gives his all i couldnt ask for more. I bet wed be even worse if he didnt play players like him lift the team.

I really like Kuyt, but when he's not on form which is clear at the moment, then he shouldn't be in the team.

He plays every game, whether in form or not and that for me isn't right and must baffle other players.

Kuyt's form is directly related to how the squad as a whole is performing. He is the ultimate 'squad' player, and when the team is doing poorly, then he'll be one of the worst on the pitch.

When the team is playing well, then Kuyt is one of the best on the pitch.

Agreed.

He is a player who relies on the other players around him. He needs quality runs from Torres and Gerrard to link up with. Or over lapping runs from Johnson.

He is tidy in possession and will make the right passes more often than not. He will work hard and when the team is on top he looks a good player. Plus he contributes with goals and assists, not to mention his abiltiy in defense, which is admirable for an attacking player.

However he's not dynamic, he can't beat players for fun and be a match winner with individual brilliance, unlike Gerrard, Torres and to a lesser extent Benayoun for example.

But currently he's in poor form and he shouldn't be undroppable. It must make someone like Babel even more frustrated, as he can be a match winner, with flashes of brilliance... we need flashes of brilliance at the moment, rather than the efficiency of Kuyt.

IMO the dissatisfaction w Kuyt has alot to do with expectation of buying a striker/poacher. Most would agree he was moved out to the right because he was not that player. Has he found a home there, yes - to an extent because of his work rate and his unselfish play not cuz he is a great winger. But it is the same w Lucas, no reason slagging Kuyt - if he wasn't doing what Rafa wanted to a T, he would be dropped. For all the talk of wingers, does Rafa rate/want a flyer that hugs the sidelines?

He's in terrible form.

I'd drop him, and play Gerrard on the right.

If Aquilani ever gets fit, I'd like to see him, Gerrard and Yossi play behind Torres. They could switch it about however they wanted and let the defenders work out who to mark.

If Aquilani ever gets fit, I'd like to see him, Gerrard and Yossi play behind Torres. They could switch it about however they wanted and let the defenders work out who to mark.

i know what you're saying, but it wouldn't really offer the quality in width we lack with daving dirk out wide