You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Exclusive in The Times

Randy Marsh

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, this latest piece in the times does not sit well with me, especially Barry.

Does rafa honestly believe he is the only manager in our history to be knocked back on a player? All of them were.

He never got barry, why keep going on about it?

The Times is Pro Benitez.

The News of the World is Anti-Benitez.

Somewhere in the middle lies the Truth.

Lets not forget if he had got Barry he would have got him on more or less a straight swap in cash terms for Xabi and considering we made a real profit of 13m to 18m on Xabi for Alberto just think what other sacrafices would have been made in other areas of the team to get that 13m back.

Also talk about making a rod for your own back considering most fans thought Rafa was being very stupid in trying to swap Barry for Xabi in the first place.

Best he just shuts his gob and wins the game at the weekend

Just on Barry.

So Barry was the only one who could make keane last more than six months, all from left midfield. And were was Xabi going to play last season then?

I bet Yossi and Rieira enjoyed reading that bit

It just gives his detractor huge amunition to attack him with.

Its sounds pretty stupid to me but he did want to play

------------------Mascher------------

Kuyt---------------------------------Barry

------------------Gerrard--------------

--------------Torres--------Keane-------

Which i pointed out at the time and unfortunately we will never know if that would have been better or worse than we did last season my guess is it would have been worse.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Rafael Benítez: Win league title or I’ve failed at Liverpool | Football - Times Online

Rafael Benítez: Win league title or I’ve failed at Liverpool

Rafael Benítez has intimated for the first time that he will consider his reign as Liverpool manager a failure unless he can deliver the league title back to Anfield.

It is approaching 20 years since Liverpool were last crowned champions of England and Benítez, who became manager in June 2004, has conceded that even the Champions League success he masterminded in 2005 would not remove the feeling of disappointment should he be unable to guide the Merseyside club to Premier League glory.

“Anyone who knows me knows that I want to win every trophy, every game,” Benítez said. “But if you ask me what I prefer, I will say the Premier League. If I do not win the title, I’m sure I’d be so disappointed maybe I would have this feeling [of failure].”

Liverpool lie seventh in the league table, 11 points behind Chelsea, the leaders, and face an uphill battle to get back into the title race, particularly after a poor run of form in which they have won only once in their past nine matches in all competitions.

Their plight has been made even worse by their Champions League form — which has previously served them so well under Benítez’s reign — deserting them to such effect that they are on the verge of being eliminated at the group stage for the first time during the Spaniard’s tenure.

But with demotion to the Europa League seemingly beckoning, Benítez admits that he is struggling to come to terms with the fate seemingly awaiting Liverpool. “It’s not easy to accept the situation,” Benítez said. “But it’s not the end of the world. We must keep going.”

The Liverpool manager was heartened to discover yesterday that the injury crisis that has deprived him of several first-team regulars in recent weeks is beginning to ease.

Steven Gerrard, Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger are back in training and expected to be available for the visit of Manchester City to Anfield on Saturday, although Fernando Torres’s groin problems are likely to keep him on the sidelines. Agger is OK,” Benítez said. “He had a small problem with his back but he’s training. It was a very good decision from Denmark’s manager [to withdraw Agger from the international squad] because he is much better now. I think he’ll be OK for the weekend.

“Johnson has been training. Not full sessions, but training, so hopefully he’ll be OK for the weekend, too. Gerrard is doing well. He finished a full training session today, so if he can carry on, he’ll be OK as well.”

Gerrard confirmed his expected availability and will be welcomed back into the Liverpool squad by his manager at a time when his talismanic presence and match-winning ability will be greatly needed.

“I’ve had a problem in my groin that has taken a while to get over but I’m just relieved a second injection seems to have done the trick,”

Gerrard said. “It’s a case of so far, so good and the aim now is to make sure I get a good week’s training under my belt so I’m ready for the game with City.”

Seems to me he is fighting for his job here.

Very Houlieresque and it shouldnt be but thats what comes of picking fights you dont need.

This team is nowhere near as bad as the Houllier one. However we have the owners factor and the Xabi factor and the injury factor all hitting at the same time.

Very Houlieresque and it shouldnt be but thats what comes of picking fights you dont need.

This team is nowhere near as bad as the Houllier one. However we have the owners factor and the Xabi factor and the injury factor all hitting at the same time.

And the last season's fucked up signings factor.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Why on earth is he doing all these interviews now? This isn't a dig just an honest question and for the record, I am pro-Rafa.

It was one interview