You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WENGER: BENITEZ IS A 'SUPER MANAGER'

acks

Arsene Wenger today labelled Rafa Benitez a 'super manager' as the Liverpool boss looks to revive our Champions League campaign in Lyon.

The Arsenal chief was quizzed on Liverpool's mixed start to the season which has left them needing victory in France tonight to get back into Group E contention.

Wenger pointed to Benitez's superb record in management as proof he was the right man to turn Liverpool's campaign around.

"Rafa Benitez is a super manager," said the Frenchman.

"We live in a world where democratic judgment is only in the present, and that's why it's very important to have directors who are strong enough to resist, as well to explain why they resist."

Edited by acks

Well said Wenger.

Everyone looks at the short term. But we should not forget where we were before Benitez took over. How he has improved our team, the success he's brought all in tough circumstances. Keeping Gerrard by winning the Champions League in 05' as huge and down to Benitez.

We've got 11+ injuries at present, including many of our best players, any team would struggle with that. Sure we have still had a disappointing start in all comps this season, but I am not going to forget what Rafa has done for this club - such as last season's league challenge which was superb.

i might as well start the debate then......

keep your friends close and your enemies even closer!

Wenger winds me up whenever we play them. He is so one-eyed it's untrue, and he's a very bad loser, but he has always come across as a fundamentally good person. He was good mates with our last manager too (probably an excuse for some on here to hate him).

Arsene Wenger today labelled Rafa Benitez a 'super manager' as the Liverpool boss looks to revive our Champions League campaign in Lyon.

The Arsenal chief was quizzed on Liverpool's mixed start to the season which has left them needing victory in France tonight to get back into Group E contention.

Wenger pointed to Benitez's superb record in management as proof he was the right man to turn Liverpool's campaign around.

"Rafa Benitez is a super manager," said the Frenchman.

"We live in a world where democratic judgment is only in the present, and that's why it's very important to have directors who are strong enough to resist, as well to explain why they resist."

first point is why the fuck are the press asking the Arsenal Manager on Liverpool? Hoping to get a bit of shite that's why, the fucking parasites.

The bit in bold is important and the reason why I am fearing the worst.

Still a twat though.

Wenger winds me up whenever we play them. He is so one-eyed it's untrue, and he's a very bad loser, but he has always come across as a fundamentally good person. He was good mates with our last manager too (probably an excuse for some on here to hate him).

good points but

i'd rather have a 'moaning dog kicking cunt' of a manager with premiere league titles under his belt than a 'thoroughly nice chap' with zilch

anyone who wouldnt swap bacon faces titles for a nice guy at the helm needs shooting in my opinion.football is a ruthless game

You can love Rafa no ends, support him to the core but please don't say the above.

This is his 6th year if you haven't noticed.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Rafa should be sacked tomorrow. I'm just saying it has been full 5 years for him at LFC.

I'm saying everyone looks at the current table without taking into account where we were before Rafa took over and what steps forward we have made.

I'd rather have countless league titles and a nice guy i.e. Kenny and Bob, and (IMO) Rafa.

so theoretically you'd 'reject' titles if our manager was succesful but he was a cunt? wtf

by the way,bob (our most successful manager) was seen as quite an arrogant person actually because of some of the quotes he said.

I'm saying everyone looks at the current table without taking into account where we were before Rafa took over and what steps forward we have made.

We can't keep looking at where we were 5 years ago though. Before we realise, it will be 10 years ago.

No one is denying what Rafa did to this club. At the same time, you have to remember, this is not "short term". 5 years is a long time in football.

so theoretically you'd 'reject' titles if our manager was succesful but he was a cunt?

by the way,bob (our most successful manager) was seen as quite an arrogant person actually because of some of the quotes he said.

First point. Yes if that was Maureen.

Bob was seen by even more people as being kind, humble and generous, I am going with that and my own experience.

Don't confuse being ruthless with being a cunt.

We finish one place higher in the league on average under Rafa than in the premier league years before him, which has been at the expense of Arsenal.

Our points total has also increased at about 7 points per season, excepting 05/06 and last season, when we did very well.

Whether that's good enough is the question but it seems some people will not take into account the fact that he has made improvements, which is rather classless of them in my opinion.

We have made improvements under Rafa the only trouble is obviously teams around us are not going to stand still and they themselves are getting better.

Over the course of Rafa's tenure at the club we are the third best team behind Man United and Chelsea which is progression but its whether or not we can continue to progress or just keep pace.

Under the current ownership and financial situation i cant see how we can progress to overtake Man United and Chelsea on a regular basis and with the money City now have available to them i think regardless of who the manager is they are going to have a very hard job keeping us as challengers.

This is not saying Rafa is faultless because he isn't but personally i would much sooner see us make ownership changes before managerial changes.

We finish one place higher in the league on average under Rafa than in the premier league years before him, which has been at the expense of Arsenal.

Our points total has also increased at about 7 points per season, excepting 05/06 and last season, when we did very well.

Whether that's good enough is the question but it seems some people will not take into account the fact that he has made improvements, which is rather classless of them in my opinion.

Evans and Ged didn't have Chelsea's millions to conted with?

Houllier came up with this five year plan and now everyone quotes it, Arsene set out his plan ten years ago and it is only coming to fruition now.

If it takes ten years to build a team capable of dominating then so be it, patience doesn't have a time limit, that is only relevant if we haven't moved on in five years which isnt the case.

Leeds and Blackburn were the previous models. The only other teams to have posted a title apart from the usual suspects in the premier league years. Newcastle also have a big income when they are doing well and the ground is full.

The point is he has made improvements which are measurable anyway, no point quibbling about which teams got in our way.

Houllier came up with this five year plan and now everyone quotes it, Arsene set out his plan ten years ago and it is only coming to fruition now.

If it takes ten years to build a team capable of dominating then so be it, patience doesn't have a time limit, that is only relevant if we haven't moved on in five years which isnt the case.

wengers proved he can win the premiere league,do you really think he'd still be there now if he hadnt? no chance!