You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Man Utd (25/10/09)

Hand Shandy

Whoever plays and whatever the result, we need a performance. Another game where we look totally disorganised, unable to control the ball or pass it and totally heartless will be too much to take. Especially against them.

Is right. If the players arent up for this game, well, there's little hope. Still I'll be in my usual seat singing myself hoarse. ;)

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true that article, we've been sold down the river and it's heartbraking. I hope Moores and Parry have read that.

Yep.

Back to tomorrow... I have absolutely not doubt whatsoever that Mascherano will be the best player on the pitch. Games like this are made for him even if his head/mind might be elsewhere. When its required the guy is an absolute fucking monster. All this giggs bullshit thats been going on, Masch will fucking eat him alive and shit out the rest of him on monday morning.

A suprising decent piece from Michael Calvin in the Mirror

Liverpool legend Bill Shankly must be turning in his grave over betrayal by George Gillett and Tom Hicks - MirrorFootball.co.uk

"There used to be a football club at Anfield.

It was a shrine to working-class heroes and a game of intoxicating simplicity.

Now there’s a shell, an empty tomb desecrated by grave robbers from an alien culture.

The Liverpool of Shankly, Paisley and Dalglish is an illusion, a hologram created for the 21st Century nostalgia industry.

Anfield is, like the Cavern Club and Penny Lane, a relic of Beatlemania.

Roll up, roll up, for the Magical Mystery Tour.

Appearances will deceive this lunchtime. Flags will be unfurled. Familiar anthems will shake the old ground to its foundations.

The world will sit back and watch, enthralled, as toe-curling romanticism collides with teeth-baring rivalry.

Nothing will change, even if Manchester United win by a cricket score and Gary Neville pees on the goalposts in a voodoo ritual enacted for the benefit of the Kop.

Sacking Rafa Benitez would be pointless. Liverpool cannot become a club again until it is rid of George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

You’ll know the story, understand the reasons behind today’s protest march by supporters infuriated by their insignificance.

They’re a pair of ugly Americans, linked by mutual loathing and a lust for a fast buck.

They’ve betrayed a legend, hawked a sporting and social heritage around the bazaars like a sullen slave.

They don’t understand football as a communal crusade. They couldn’t care less about its glorious irrationality. It is a corporate asset to be traded like so many pork bellies.

It’s easy to mock the afflicted, to pour scorn on Scouse sentimentality. But your club might be next. If Liverpool can be hijacked and forced to pay the masters’ mortgage, it can happen to anyone – even United.

The Manc nation, which stretches from Chertsey to Kowloon, might care to dwell on the priorities of Joel Glazer.

He will be at Wembley this afternoon watching his asset-stripped NFL franchise, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Anfield is nowhere near his agenda. His type views such landmarks as the 50th anniversary of Bill Shankly’s installation as Liverpool manager, on December 1 1959, as mere marketing opportunities.

Shankly will be portrayed as a man of the people, a cross between Che Guevara and Clarence Darrow.

It will not do him justice.

One of my most treasured mementoes is an autographed double album of him talking of his life and times, recorded just before his death in 1981.

Best to let him speak for himself, from beyond the grave. This was what he said when asked how he would wish to be remembered:

“That I’ve been basically honest in a game in which it is sometimes difficult to be honest. I’d like to think that I have put more into the game than I have taken out.

“I was interested in only one thing, success for the club.

“That meant success for the people. I wanted results for the club, for the love of the game, to make the people happy.”

Inspirational stuff.

Like listening to the last survivors of the Somme, it reminds us of what we have lost, tossed aside in the name of progress.

Ironically, the exaggerated emotions of allegiance to a football club have shielded greedy men like Gillett and Hicks from retribution.

The Royal Bank of Scotland couldn’t afford the fall-out from pushing Liverpool into administration by refusing to re-finance their loans.

Shankly didn’t have to deal with braying bigots on the phone-ins, or charlatans in the boardroom.

He had an uncluttered set of priorities: “At a football club, there’s a Holy Trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it.”

Read that, Liverpool fans, and weep."

I was one of the few who cried when Moores sold out to Americans, even though I fucking hate the state of america but its about owners who wont put debt on the club. give me Abramovic any day of the week

I was one of the few who cried when Moores sold out to Americans, even though I fucking hate the state of america but its about owners who wont put debt on the club. give me Abramovic any day of the week

get a grip, you fucking big wet nelly :whoops:

Whoever plays and whatever the result, we need a performance. Another game where we look totally disorganised, unable to control the ball or pass it and totally heartless will be too much to take. Especially against them.

Couldn't agree more. We don't have to play the most dazzling football, but I want to see composure, effort and organisation. Surely those are the minimum acceptable standards for Liverpool players?

I'd be tempted to go with the following:

Pepe

Carra Skrtel Agger Aurelio

Mascherano Lucas

Johnson Dirk Yossi

Torres

I know Carra at right back is not ideal (and nor is having a central defence without him, in my view). However, we need more solidity at the back without compromising our ability to attack and, in the absence of anyone else capable of playing there in order to let Johnson push up, I'd do it. This team is the best I can think of without Gerrard that addresses our need to tighten up at the back as well as retain and use the ball better up front. Central midfield is still a huge concern for me though - we desperately need someone to take the ball off the centre backs and we haven't got anyone who even wants to do that, never mind actually capable of doing so.

It's from The Star so probably just rubbish coinciding with a big game:

"JAVIER MASCHERANO has further rocked the listing Anfi eld boat this morning by snubbing a new contract.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, already on the ropes after four straight defeats, has always believed the Argentine midfielder would join his golden list of long-term stars.

Skipper Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger and Yossi Benayoun were all secured on bumper summer deals. Mascherano, 25, is strongly linked with Barcelona. And that is a real worry for Benitez, as he hoped that his South American playmaker would be another one to commit his long-term future to the Anfield cause.

But Mascherano has no wish to join the elite list, a huge blow to Benitez hours before facing Man United today.

Benitez is willing to shower Mascherano with riches in line with Liverpool’s other superstars. Mascherano, currently on around £60,000 a week, will be guaranteed a £30,000-a-week increase if he signs a new deal.

But Mascherano says the cash is of no interest to him, leaving Benitez and the fans deeply concerned that the Argentinian could be the next big name exiting Anfi eld, following Xabi Alonso’s departure to Real Madrid.

Asked about possible talks over a new deal, Mascherano said: “I have never asked for a new contract.

“I already have a contract with Liverpool. I don’t play football for the money. I play for me to win. Obviously I will not play for free. But at this moment the money is not the most important thing for me. I have talked with Rafa over the summer but nothing has happened.

“I’m here. I play for Liverpool and I will try to give my best.

“I am a professional and I have to think about Liverpool.” Mascherano’s stance casts further doubts over his future at Anfield but he is still keen to silence talk about a move to Barcelona.

He added: “I don’t want to talk any more about Barcelona. I try to give my best to Liverpool.

“Sometimes you have good form. Sometimes you are not in good form. But I will continue working to do my best.

“I am very relaxed about my situation because I know I go to training every day and give my best for the club.”

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: Masch in Raf bash

Couldn't agree more. We don't have to play the most dazzling football, but I want to see composure, effort and organisation. Surely those are the minimum acceptable standards for Liverpool players?

I'd be tempted to go with the following:

Pepe

Carra Skrtel Agger Aurelio

Mascherano Lucas

Johnson Dirk Yossi

Torres

I know Carra at right back is not ideal (and nor is having a central defence without him, in my view). However, we need more solidity at the back without compromising our ability to attack and, in the absence of anyone else capable of playing there in order to let Johnson push up, I'd do it. This team is the best I can think of without Gerrard that addresses our need to tighten up at the back as well as retain and use the ball better up front. Central midfield is still a huge concern for me though - we desperately need someone to take the ball off the centre backs and we haven't got anyone who even wants to do that, never mind actually capable of doing so.

I'd agree with you on Johnson teach, i would much prefer him playing RM as i don't think he's a full back at all . With Kelly coming through his debut so well on tuesday i think that should be the combination for the right hand side.

As for getting the ball off the centre backs , it's a problem alright and the only answer is Agger making strides forward like Jocky used to do so well.

That bit about Mascherano is worrying. But if he wants to go then fuck him. Those comments should never have been said just before a make-or-break match, even if he didn't directly say "I want to go to Barcelona".

The lad should be grateful that Rafa rescued him from obscurity and turned him into the captain of Argentina. I thought he was more committed than that, but then again, like so many other players, I've been left disappointed with their disloyalty.

I wouldn't play Johnson on the wing; he's a right back. What we need is someone top class out right. I don't think Kuyt is that player personally and have said so for a long time.

I think Benayoun is definitely good enough but he's probably better centrally.

Once Gerrard is fit and playing in behind Torres, personally I would drop Kuyt and play Benayoun on the right.

The lad should be grateful that Rafa rescued him from obscurity and turned him into the captain of Argentina. I thought he was more committed than that, but then again, like so many other players, I've been left disappointed with their disloyalty.

Why would you be disappointed with the players' disloyalty? Owen said it clearly, he is a pro and has to provide for himself and his family. If Owen, who at least has ties to LFC, does what he does and says stuff like that, why would a dude from Argentina with no real ties to the club apart from the paycheck be any different.

If he goes, he goes, but today I expect him to be ready to die for LFC, and I have no doubt that he will.

Overall, football players are, to a great extent, loyal to the highest bidder. Then there are the Maldinis and Carraghers of this world, exceptions to the rule, and the ones that truly earn the respect and adulation of the fans.

RAFA AND STEVIE ON TODAY'S GAME

ALTHOUGH the result against Lyon was disappointing, I was pleased with the work rate of the players.

We had chances to win the game and today, against Manchester United, we have another opportunity to try and turn things around.

If you think too much about the negative aspects of losing, as against the positives that come with winning, it doesn't help the preparation.

As always, we have approached this game in a positive way. We will try to push United from the beginning and see if we can beat them again.

We did that last season, particularly at Old Trafford where we won 4-1. We also beat them here at Anfield and did so without Fernando Torres, who was injured, or Steven Gerrard for most of the game.

Injuries have been a frustration for us lately but it helped after Tuesday that we've had four days to work with the players to see who will be available for today. We've been working hard to try and get them ready as soon as possible.

We've had to manage with different options at times, but I'm confident the squad can help us bounce back from a difficult spell.

No matter who is selected to play, we have to approach today's game with the same spirit that saw us beat United home and away last season.

If we can win again this afternoon, it will help us moving forward into our next games.

The defeat at Sunderland last weekend saw us move down to eighth place. However, when you are not doing as well as you would like, it is better not to worry too much about the table.

The difference in the top half is not too great. There are four or five teams at the top who are all very close. Win or lose one or two games in a row and everything can change.

It is better to just concentrate on yourselves, improve the team and try to get three points in each game. If you can then put a run together, the table will look more appealing.

We won six games in a row before our run of four defeats.

We are not used to losing matches like that but know that if we can win six games in a row once, we can do it again. We just need to win the first one again and take it from there.

Win today and we close the gap to four points behind Manchester United. Lose and it will be 10.

Of course, we could draw and it remains seven points, but generally people will look at the situation in one of two ways, positive or negative.

We will approach the game with confidence that we can win.

It was a similar situation when we went to Old Trafford last season, except United still had a game in hand, even when we closed the gap to four points.

We had just nine games to play then, whereas after today, there will be 28 remaining.

There is a long way to go in the title race but, before we can talk about that, we have to do things properly.

The mentality of the players was really good in the days following our loss at Sunderland last weekend, and also this week after the defeat to Lyon.

Their reaction has been good. They know that we have to improve and everybody is working very hard to try and change things.

As I say, we have to look for positives. Our experiences against United from last season have helped us ahead of today's game. We know we can beat anyone if we play to our level.

Once again, we must show character and play as a team. That can be key here this afternoon and also for the rest of the season.

We are currently in the middle of Kick It Out’s One Game, One Community campaign.

The message is clear. There is no place for racism, not only in football but anywhere.

As always, everyone at Liverpool Football Club is right behind the campaign to keep racism out of football.

I've heard it said that a game against Manchester United is the last thing Liverpool need right now.

That's not how we see it.

You will remember last season when we beat them 2-1 here without Fernando Torres, and also myself for the majority of the game.

It was a huge boost to win that game. We hadn't beaten United for some time but, despite going through a bit of a sticky patch, we came from behind to win.

That gave us great belief and confidence for the rest of the season.

We know it's been difficult of late, but this is exactly the kind of game that can help us turn it around.

Losing to Lyon on Tuesday was disappointing for the team but also on a personal level as I suffered a setback with my injury.

After losing three games I was desperate to get out there and help the lads, but unfortunately I broke down and had to come off.

We've had quite a few injuries lately.

It's the easiest thing to do when you've been on a bit of a losing streak to start looking for excuses and blaming things like injuries or whatever.

It's too easy to point the blame at individuals, be it the manager or team-mates. That's not the way to go. It's time for all of us to get together and dig in.

It's time for the whole squad to roll our sleeves up, stand up and be counted and fight through this.

There's no getting away from it, Liverpool don't lose four games on the spin. It hasn't happened for over 22 years, so we need to put it right.

It's the first time we've experienced a run like this under Rafa. Now it's time to show a bit of character.

We know we can close the gap on United to just four points, similar to when we went to Old Trafford and won 4-1 in March.

This time, there is a lot more football still to be played.

If we beat United today, it spins everything back round in our favour. You're suddenly on a massive high, whereas your major rivals are reeling from a defeat.

The mood in the dressing room is good. Obviously the lads were down after Tuesday night, but you come in the next day and start getting it out of the system. You pick yourselves up, and come this afternoon, everyone will be looking forward to getting back out there.

Everyone's pulling in the right direction to try and turn things around.

While our main focus is on today's game, it's also important to look at the bigger picture.

It's not ideal to be worrying too much about the league table right now, or even in the next few weeks.

It doesn't look right when Liverpool aren't in that top four.

But we're confident as a team that we'll move back up the table, into the position we want to be. Three points this afternoon will help us achieve that.

We mark the Kick it Out, One Game, One Community campaign at Anfield today.

The campaign has been running for some time, reinforcing an important message, which as a club we always support.

As a player, racism isn't something you ever want to hear anywhere in the game.

Everyone needs to play their part, whether that's on the pitch or off it, to make sure racism is kept away from football.

I wonder if this Masch 'rescued from obscurity' thing is going to take hold? Seems daft to me, beyond parody, but you never know nowadays.

The lad was stuck in a bureaucratic nightmare, a legal minefield. Suggesting we are the only ones who would have bothered to unravel it or else he would have slunk back to Argentina and become a gaucho is very silly indeed.

I wonder if this Masch 'rescued from obscurity' thing is going to take hold? Seems daft to me, beyond parody, but you never know nowadays.

The lad was stuck in a bureaucratic nightmare, a legal minefield. Suggesting we are the only ones who would have bothered to unravel it or else he would have slunk back to Argentina and become a gaucho is very silly indeed.

I agree, to me it was simply a case of quick thinking and shrewd maneuvering by Rafa. He was the quickest to act, but there would have been others. Just as there was for Tevez.

I agree, to me it was simply a case of quick thinking and shrewd maneuvering by Rafa. He was the quickest to act, but there would have been others. Just as there was for Tevez.

He should still be grateful to Rafa for capturing him. At the time there was a whole clamour on these boards that he wouldn't even get a look in and what a terrible signing he was because he was yet another CM and we had Sissoko, Alonso, Gerrard and Lucas already vying for two positions and Mascherano was quite simply shit for WHU bla bla bla yadda yadda yadda. But you all forget that don't you?