You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Carra be dropped?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carra be dropped?

• Yes
    • No
    • Droppings too good for him; shoot him in the face

I liked his comments as well, it made a nice change actually! He needs the likes of Carra on his side and it will have helped.

He really doesn't need defensive mistakes and all these goals being conceeded and another league season going up in smoke. Carra will attract little criticism because he's a local player but Benitez will be hung out to dry. I dont know what happens behind closed doors but I wish Benitez got tough with these players and made it clear what he expects and lays out the consequences if the players who are constantly picked don't perform to the required standard every week

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skrtel has had one decent game this season (last Sunday) so there is no way I would drop Carragher ahead of him. And who is he dropped for? I'm not so sure Agger is ready just yet to be starting games (and, if he does start, he'll need to be able to last at least 65 mins as there is nobody comes off before then) and the other option is a far from convincing Greek who looks to me like an accident waiting to happen.

Any chance of getting Hyypia back on loan in January??

• 2 weeks later...

Who are you going to drop Carragher for? Skrtel has been worse than Jamie this season, and your not going to drop him for Kyrgiakos. For me, Carra and Agger should be first choice. If we bring a new centre back in, then a decent case can be made for dropping Carra, but not with the current options we have.

Who are you going to drop Carragher for? Skrtel has been worse than Jamie this season, and your not going to drop him for Kyrgiakos. For me, Carra and Agger should be first choice. If we bring a new centre back in, then a decent case can be made for dropping Carra, but not with the current options we have.

Aye. I definitely go with Agger and Carra for a run of games now, hopefully playing with Agger will bring the best out of Carra.

The defence was already showing a lot of potential problems last season.

The normal (fair) view of Rafa as a defensive coach actually turned into a myth last season that we were not attacking enough in the PL:

Overall we were top scorers but had only the 3rd best defense.

Moreover, when it really mattered the defense was appaling at the end of the year:

3 goals let in at home in the CL QF usually knocks you out.

4 goals conceeded at home in the key CL run-in game against a side who were not really up for it

& Finally 4 goals in 1 half in the CL QF return leg after we had clawed our way back into the tie.

The situation was naturally going to get worse as Carra aged & Sami left, neither of which we could do much about.

I posted in the summer that i thought CB was our main issue even before any other business occured.

(Carra needs to be moving into a role where he doesn't play every game to save hislegs, but is available for the really big games when we really need him as he still has great ability)

Once we couldn't afford to match Xabi's new market level of wages, the problem got even worse: We lost his superb ability to keep the ball, which always makes you tighter at the back as if they haven't got it, they can't hurt you.

On top of this, Masch has gone into a huge strop, possibly because his wife genuinely cant settle, possibly because he has also had his head turned by the riches on offer in Spain.

He was the best ball-winning DM around.

Finally Arebelo was a much better defender than people give him credit for (remember the Nou Camp game)

Replacing him with an English (overpriced) player who could attack better but defend worse was a move I disagreed with as you would get found out against the better teams.

So, an already creaking unit lost a great player (Sami) & the best ball-retainer we had 9Xabi) with its rock for the last 5 years (Carra) gradually pushing into veteran status & its main ball-winner (Masch) fucked off.

In the light of this, CB should have be a priority above all else, whilst the Arbeloa/Johnson switch was probably not a good idea.

Clean sheets are the basis for success in football & we are not getting any at the moment.

We shouldn't drop him but he is being much more exposed by our softer centre this season. Masc and Alonso was a fantastic partnership, perhaps too defensive at times, but they had a great understanding and I think Masc benefited from Alonso's game intelligence.

This is no criticism of Lucas as he's doing OK, but he's not as good a player or the same type of player as Alonso.

Add Johnson being a more offensive full back, Insua still adjusting to the first team and the tactics expected of him then our centre backs are bound to struggle.

I think perseverance with Agger and Carra is the way forward.

• 2 weeks later...

If Agger was fit, I'd have Skrtel and Agger at the back - no question.

Carragher is getting in the team on reputation, not form.

- He got raped by the West Ham player - Hines.

- He should have got sent off against United.

- He got sent off the weekend.

- He is meant to be organising the defense, but we look vulnerable at every set play.

- Add together the 'hoof's and hopeful balls up field.

I won't be popular for saying this, but he shouldn't be in the team if we have all our players fit.

I do think we have seen the best of Carra, but anyone who thinks Skrtel is a better option is obviously looking at a different player. Can anyone - and this is the third time i have asked now - name a single game in which Skrtel has been outstanding for us? Even when he plays well, he still makes an error or two that gets punished against the best teams. He's also one of the most jittery and uncomposed centre-backs i have ever seen at this level.

Can anyone - and this is the third time i have asked now - name a single game in which Skrtel has been outstanding for us?

Chelsea - earlier in the season.

Can you remember the last time Skrtel was at fault for one of the goals we conceeded?!

Carragher hasn't got a great record against Arsenal. I have seen him get raped by Henry many times.

I don't think that is the best game to appreciate him - where speed and movement are vital. Again I think Skrtel and Agger would be best against that type of team.

I do think we have seen the best of Carra, but anyone who thinks Skrtel is a better option is obviously looking at a different player. Can anyone - and this is the third time i have asked now - name a single game in which Skrtel has been outstanding for us? Even when he plays well, he still makes an error or two that gets punished against the best teams. He's also one of the most jittery and uncomposed centre-backs i have ever seen at this level.

Skrtel has been outstanding in almost every game in 2007/08 season since he came in January 2008. Of course without his debut against Havant. He was immense and everybody was cheering him up. And the main think is that he was not making this stupid errors that he is making now.

2008/09 until his knee injury he continued in his top form and performances without errors and stupid fauls ( had 2 or 3 yellows in about 30 games).

After this injury he started to look more shakey from time to time but was still class.

This season is a disaster for him. Generally he plays o.k. but in every single match he makes at least one big mistake that could be punisched and he is just lucky that they mainly weren´t punisched more often.

This facts show that he is quality, just off form with a bit of unluck.But he will come back. Mazbe with Agger he will be better.

But agree with LFD

Carragher hasn't got a great record against Arsenal. I have seen him get raped by Henry many times.

I don't think that is the best game to appreciate him - where speed and movement are vital. Again I think Skrtel and Agger would be best against that type of team.

You evidently didn't watch it. Henry wasn't playing ...

If Agger was fit, I'd have Skrtel and Agger at the back - no question.

Carragher is getting in the team on reputation, not form.

- He got raped by the West Ham player - Hines.

- He should have got sent off against United.

- He got sent off the weekend.

- He is meant to be organising the defense, but we look vulnerable at every set play.

- Add together the 'hoof's and hopeful balls up field.

I won't be popular for saying this, but he shouldn't be in the team if we have all our players fit.

The fact is, is that we have not seen them together once. Some of this can be attributed to injuries, but I can't remember ever seeing them as a partnership as CBs in a back four. I blame Benitez for this. Certain players are security blankets for him (see Kuyt).

I certainly think Carra should be rested more often. I'd also be interested in seeing Kelly at the back. I'de pair him with Carra at the end of matches we were winning comfortably (or losing comfortably). I think the future may be Agger & Kelly. Both good on the ball, tall and not slow (wouldn't say fast).

I think the future may be Agger & Kelly. Both good on the ball, tall and not slow (wouldn't say fast).

Do you not rate Skrtel then?!

I think Skrtel is vastly underated, I think he's our best all round centre back.

I think you just described Carra this season. Can't remember any goal this year where Skrtel has been obviously at fault. Can't say the same of Carra.

I think you just described Carra this season. Can't remember any goal this year where Skrtel has been obviously at fault. Can't say the same of Carra.

That's the way I see it.

Same last season.

Do you not rate Skrtel then?!

I think Skrtel is vastly underated, I think he's our best all round centre back.

Yes I do. He has no obvious weakness. Having said that he has no obvious strength. Not that that's a bad thing. He doesn't jump out at you watching the game which I think is a sign of an efficient defender. I do wish he was a little more aggressive in the air but the same is true of all our CBs apart from the Greek (who unfortunately does little else).

I suppose the idea of two ball playing defenders was sexy to me.

He'll be suspended won't he? Unless it get over-turned?!

Only for one match.

© PLAYERS SENT OFF UNDER LAW 12 (4) and (5)

A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by physical means or by handling the ball, will be suspended automatically from all approved First Team matches commencing forthwith, until such time as his Club's First Team has completed its next match in an approved Competition.

[source]