You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris

Red Lead

I'm off to Paris with the missus this weekend for 3 nights. Apart from all the usual tourist attractions, is there anything else worth seeing or doing? Also, is it worth our while going to Disneyland for one of the days.

I'd like to go to a nice restaurant on the Saturday night. I heard Paris is quite expensive for booze, so any cheap(ish) locations will be appreciated. Cheers...

I like Disneyland, but make sure you don't bother with the studio part of it. Not that its shit (its boss), but its two seperate entry fees until a certain time - better to just go into the one with the rides and that. Fuck the parades off as well, they're shit and while they're on all the rides are empty.

Beer is very expensive in Paris, but if you are a wine drinker then you'll get a very decent glass of red for a couple of euros in any half decent bar and a great Bordeaux for a fraction of the price you would pay in Britain

My favourite restaurant is Au Pied de Couchon (the pigs trotter) near Les Halles. Classic bistro menu and a beautiful belle epoque dining room. Its been open 24 hours a day every day since about 1947 serves good food for a reasonable price by parisien standards.

Les Frères Blanc | Au Pied de Cochon

The first stone of the "Pont Neuf" was laid in 1578, but the work was completed only in 1604. Contrary to all architectural and structural considerations, it is now the most famous bridge in Paris for in fact it is two spans each anchored on the tip of the Isle de la Cité. For its time it was quite wide, constructed to house rows of shops, but in the the end Henri IV granted permission for transient commerce only. In early times (1775-1854) the bastions (supports?) were topped by shops. Unique to this bridge are the 384 ' grotesques' bizarre sculptured faces on the cornices. The bridge is classed as a "Monument historique".

Well worth a look……………………….

paris-1.jpg

Go for a hot chocolate at Angelina's Rue de Rivoli. It's quite near the Louvre and is full of tourists, but the hot chocolate is the most decadent thing you'll ever have, it's nuts. It was recommended to me by a French woman who runs a restaurant local to me. Proper opulent surroundings too.

Go and poke around the left bank - Rue Mouftard and so on. Plenty to see round there.

Some good bars in the 3rd (I think) arrondisement.

I always get ripped off for food in Paris - it's possible to pay high prices for some very, very ordinary nosh.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Paris . Fantastic place .

We went up the Eifful Tower .Had dinner it the restaurant there overlooking the city .Night time went to The Ritz for dinner and a load of ale . This morning we walked around the shops and then had a cruise along the Seine with a four course dinner.

We stayed at the Westin Hotel which was nice.However the thing that sticks in my mind is the Fuckin price of drinks .

Pint £11.00

Mini bar

small bottle of coke /sprite water - £8.00

peanuts £5

37.5 ml champagne £48.00

I did not purchase any items from the mini bar

Would you consider it for some sporting event in the middle of November?

I have never been to an international match and I never will.

Just love the city. You can get anywhere within the city limits in such a short space of time with the metro, so no matter where you are you are relatively central.

If ever you get bored you can always go down and watch the craziness down at place de concorde.

I have never been to an international match and I never will.

Just love the city. You can get anywhere within the city limits in such a short space of time with the metro, so no matter where you are you are relatively central.

If ever you get bored you can always go down and watch the craziness down at place de concorde.

Aye, Paris is a lovely city. I was there as a kid and rememeber bits of it. I remember going for a piss in a McDonalds on the Champs Elysees.

Aye, Paris is a lovely city. I was there as a kid and rememeber bits of it. I remember going for a piss in a McDonalds on the Champs Elysees.

You musnt have thought much of it if you only remember bits and one of those is a piss in a mcdonalds on the champs elysees!

You musnt have thought much of it if you only remember bits and one of those is a piss in a mcdonalds on the champs elysees!

Ah I did. I remember we went into the City on the train and then on the way back on the metro some fella decides to throw himself under a train. We were stuck in teh tunnel and then the Gendarmes came down and opened the carriages to let us walk out. We had to walk the last 100 metres to the station through the tunnel. True Story.