You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NFL Discussion and Fantasy League thread

odris

What a weak end to the season for my Colts. Luck was (as usual) getting no help from his offensive line, but this time his receivers bailed on him too. Wayne and Hilton the only ones making some sort of contribution, even if they too made big drops. Ravens weren't anything special either, so the opportunity was there to go to the Broncos for a meet up with Peyton. Gutted, the only small consolation is that we would have suffered a much more embarrasing defeat in Denver.

I'd like to watch the build up but after 3.5hrs sleep after last nights games and work again tomorrow ill be in bed by 7.30 and up at 1am for the game then leave got work as soon as it finishes.

Notre Dame defence has looked good all year but wether they can stand up to the Bama O-Line is another thing.They may stand up for the first half but if they can't keep the Bama offence off the field they will wear them down in the second half.

New Bills head coach.

Can't believe how many teams overlooking alive Smith.

Haven't seen Odris on here lately.

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2013, 7:03 AM EST

Getty Images

Doug Marrone is staying in Upstate New York but leaving college for the pros.

The Bills have agreed to hire Marrone, who has spent the last four years as the head coach at Syracuse, as their next head coach, according to multiple reports.

Marrone has been the head coach at Syracuse for the last four seasons, compiling an overall record of 25-25. He is coming off a season in which he went 8-5, concluding with a Pinstripe Bowl win over West Virginia.

Marrone's NFL experience includes stints as the offensive coordinator of the Saints and offensive line coach of the Jets. He was also briefly an NFL guard, playing four games for the Dolphins in 1987 and one game for the Saints in 1989.

The Bills, who fired coach Chan Gailey after the 2012 season, are now the second NFL team to fill their head-coaching vacancy. Five teams still have head-coaching openings.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping we would get Lovie but from what I've been reading the last few days, Doug could do a job for us. He completely changed the Syracuse program when he came and won the pinstripe bowl 2 times in about 4 years. Also ex OC of the Saints and while he wasn't the play caller (that was Payton) his influence on the offence was great. It's Doug's time to get a shot at an NFL team and I am looking forward to it, hopefully he keeps the players in check more than old man Gailey with his glasses hanging off his nose ever could.

Looks like this Shanahan/Andrews story has some way yet to go.

Report: Robert Griffin III’s MRI Shows Partial Tears to ACL, LCL | NFL | NESN.com

RGIII had a scan and according to reports the MRI show partial ACL and LCL tears. They aren't sure whether this is new tears showing, in which case he might not be ready for next season, or these are old tears showing.

Report: Robert Griffin III’s MRI Shows Partial Tears to ACL, LCL | NFL | NESN.com

Getting back from partial ACL and LCL tears is real hard work. Could potentially be real bad this for the Skins.

At some point the head coach has to make a rational decision and think of the future of his QB, unfortunately Shanahan neglected to act. Cousins should have been in this game ages ago.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Heard from some who were on the FedEx Field surface on Sunday that the green paint (from painting the dirt) is still on their shoes

Griffins Injury sounds really bad.

Second time he will have had major surgery on that next in 3 years.He is going to be lucky to be healthy in time for preseason.Poor call leaving him in there.

It is worse than originally thought. Dynamic rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III is reportedly going to have complete reconstructive surgery for ACL and LCL tears.

UPDATE: Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 1:13 a.m. by Mike Hoag

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported the news via Twitter early Wednesday morning. The projected recovery time for this type of surgery is six to eight months, according to Mortensen:

Chris Mortensen

?

@mortreport

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

9 Jan 13

Griffin's recovery will be the most talked about and speculated event of the offseason. How will it affect his continued presence in the league and effectiveness as a mobile quarterback?

Will he rebound as quickly as Adrian Peterson and come back better than ever?

Mortensen also confirmed that Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery early on Wednesday morning and that it is a complete tear of the graft that held his knee together after a 2009 knee injury at Baylor:

Chris Mortensen

?

@mortreport

Dr. James Andrews will perform surgery in about 6 hours. Diagnosis already made that ACL graft of @RGIII's 2009 surgery is complete tear

9 Jan 13

---End of Update---

SportsCenter passed along the initial news on Tuesday, via NFL insider Adam Schefter:

SportsCenter

?

@SportsCenter

Source: RG III expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL. At that time damage to his ACL will be reviewed (via @AdamSchefter)

8 Jan 13

Obviously, a great deal of his recovery time hinges on what they find with the ACL.

Recoveries from knee injuries are always going to vary, and this is a player who already had an ACL tear while in college, which is likely why doctors are having a hard time figuring out the extent of the damage to his ACL now.

As the season came to a close, RGIII was nursing a right-knee injury that he initially sustained in Week 14 versus Baltimore, and it ultimately forced him from the Redskins' 24-14 playoff loss to the Seahawks.

He looked fairly strong to start Sunday's playoff game, but he tweaked the injury while performing a quick stop and throw, and he was limping badly after.

Then Griffin's knee noticeably buckled in the second half as he tried to make a quick lateral move to recover a poor snap. He instantly fell to the turf and remained there for several moments.

He was able to get off the field under his own power and stuck around the sidelines as the game concluded, but there were no doubts that his knee was not right.

Mike Shanahan made the call to leave Griffin in, and he has come under intense fire for doing so. News of this surgery is not going to help that. For his sake, and football fans everywhere, hopefully the ACL is not also torn.

The Cleveland Browns are done with their head coaching search, and they've chosen to bring back a familiar face from the past.

According to ESPN insider Chris Mortensen, the Browns struck a deal with Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski on Thursday night, a day after the two sides had a scheduled interview for the opening.

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport

Rob Chudzinksi is a done deal. He is the Browns new head coach. Confirmed.

11 Jan 13

Retweet

Favorite

Chudzinski has served in the NFL under Ron Rivera for the past two seasons, as he's helped transform Carolina's offense from one of the worst in the NFL to one of the more creative.

QB Cam Newton was an unorthodox pro prospect coming into the league, but Chudzinski got the most out of his abilities as a rookie, fooling defenses with his run-heavy, read-option schemes en route to finishing fifth in total offense in 2011. The team digressed some in 2012, finishing 12th in total offense, but it did crack the top 10 in rushing yards per game at No. 9.

If this report from CBS' Keith Britton is true, Chudzinski is also bringing along another offensive genius into the fold—former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner:

Keith Britton @KeithBritton86

Source says Chudzinski will likely bring Norv Turner as part of #Browns coaching staff

11 Jan 13

Retweet

Favorite

The Ohio native and served as tight ends coach of the Browns in 2004, and helped the team to a 10-win season in 2007—his first year as the offensive coordinator.

He was fired alongside Romeo Crennel after the 2008 season, heading to San Diego before stopping in Carolina. He'll now get the chance to revive his home state's football team in one of the NFL's toughest divisions—the AFC North.

We'll see if the 44-year-old Chudzinski is up for the challenge. This position hasn't been friendly to other coaches in the past, and the pressure to win now is always one of the biggest factors for Cleveland faithful.

So divisional playoff weekend. Who'll win? Added in my predictions below.

I'll go for 49'ers at home to Packers. I think the 49er defence is too good for the Packers.

Broncos at home over the Ravens. Last game for Ray Lewis I'm afraid.

Seahawks away over Falcons. I really like the look of this Seahawks side. Only away win this week I think.

Pats at home over the Texans. Hopefully the Texans will take their poor form from the last few weeks with them to Foxborough.

Pats @ Broncos and Seahawks @ 49ers next week. Offence of the AFC against the defence of the NFC. Out of all the possible scenarios for a superbowl, I'd say NFC would be the winners, I hope it'll be a Pats v. Seahawks Superbowl. Seahawks wins it