You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano for Eto ?...How would it work

UlsterRed

I'm one of Mascherano's biggest fans, but just as an exploratory exercise what if both players swapped clubs, how would we adapt.

Here's how I think the system could work without Mascherano.

---------------------------Reina---------------------------

Johnson---------Carragher-----------Skrtel------------Insua

---------------------------Alonso--------------------------

Kuyt----------------------Gerrard--------------------Aureilio

--------------------Eto'o----------------Torres--------------

NOTE: - Both Kuyt and Aurelio are good at tracking back so this will give balance defensively

I just feel sorry for Carra and Skrtel....they are fucked if that happens.

if what happens? Gerrard is still one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and with Kuyt and Aureilio close by I see no problem.

There are 9 players on the pitch who can defend, bar 2 ( torres and Eto).

There are 8 players on the field who naturally can attack, bar 2 (Reina, Skrtel and Carragher)

I'm one of Mascherano's biggest fans, but just as an exploratory exercise what if both players swapped clubs, how would we adapt.

Here's how I think the system could work without Mascherano.

---------------------------Alonso--------------------------

NOTE: - Both Kuyt and Aurelio are good at tracking back so this will give balance defensively

Do you really think Alonso will be here as well?

I don't think Rafa would be insane enough to ditch the formation that brought us nearer to a title challenge than we have been in over a decade.

Eto'o's is not a Rafa player. We don't need him and we won't be bringing him in.

It could be more likely to see Toure in Maschers place + cash. I don't think we could handle Eto's insane wage demands if he was to arrive over here. If Man City are having problems then it kind of puts us out of the picture. That's unless he really likes our club, just can't see him being here anymore though.

It could be more likely to see Toure in Maschers place + cash. I don't think we could handle Eto's insane wage demands if he was to arrive over here. If Man City are having problems then it kind of puts us out of the picture. That's unless he really likes our club, just can't see him being here anymore though.

...Man city don't have the champions league to offer;)

---------------------------Toure--------------------------

....the thought of that team gets me tingling all over:yes:

I'd never swap Masch for Eto'o. Why? Because it's so much harder to get a really good DM than a good striker. Plus I think that Torres plays best as lone striker (we saw that on EURO08 too) with only Gerrard behind him. And we all know that Real Madrid was winning wwhen they had Makelele, as soon as he left they were shite again. So my answer is no, not Eto'o for Masch!

Edited by RazorBack

if what happens? Gerrard is still one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and with Kuyt and Aureilio close by I see no problem.

There are 9 players on the pitch who can defend, bar 2 ( torres and Eto).

There are 8 players on the field who naturally can attack, bar 2 (Reina, Skrtel and Carragher)

Gerrard's not a defensive midfielders arsehole. Never has been. He is very good in the tackle but his defensive positioning leaves a lot to be desired.

Gerrard's not a defensive midfielders arsehole. Never has been. He is very good in the tackle but his defensive positioning leaves a lot to be desired.

My mistake, I meant he's as good as anyone tracking back when needed. I never placed him as a defensive midfielder on my diagram, I was responding to fungus's comment about Carra and Skrtel being fucked in that set-up.

I wouldn't swap Mascherano for any player in the world, and that is what true Liverpool fans who watch him play week-in week-out would say.

So I'm not a true Liverpool fan?:whistle: :whatever:

If I had the option, I wouldn't sell him for anything, I wouldn't put a £50,000,000 price bracket on his head like Rafa done, but we have to deal with reality here, its possible that Barca will buy him and Rafa will sell for the right money.

...but hey, don't talk about it or else your not a real fan:|...head in the sand and it'll all go away!

...anyway, we all know Rafa likes Eto and has said it many times.

Edited by UlsterRed

So I'm not a true Liverpool fan?:whistle: :whatever:

If I had the option, I wouldn't sell him for anything, I wouldn't put a £50,000,000 price bracket on his head like Rafa done, but we have to deal with reality here, its possible that Barca will buy him and Rafa will sell for the right money.

...but hey, don't talk about it or else your not a real fan:|...head in the sand and it'll all go away!

...anyway, we all know Rafa likes Eto and has said it many times.

Rafa never put a 50m price bracket on Masch's head. All I remember him saying was something along the likes of "even 50m won't get them Mascherano."