You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Serious question for the GF. Help needed.

Can you simply put lining paper over old wallpaper and then paint it, or does it need to be stripped completely?

I know it's daft to paint straight over wallpaper, but Lurtzy and I have decided to rent a house and some of the rooms need 'doing up' so to speak and we don't want to go over the top.

Any help will be appreciated and those who prove useful will be duly spit-repped by Lurtzy and myself.

You can put lining paper over old wall paper and then paint it, it wouldn't be a disaster, but for a better finish you would be best off stripping the wall paper first, or steaming it off. It's not a major issue though. Obviously this is dependant upon which type of wall paper is already up. If Its flock or chipboard, then it needs ripping off.

Is the existing wallpaper in decent nick?

If so, you should be OK to bung some lining paper over it. If not, you're probably going to have to strip the walls.

And if you do that and it's an old house, be aware that you may end up having to replaster the walls.

Oh, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you to make sure the landlord doesn't mind you redecorating.

The missus used to do up houses for rent/sale & I got roped in to help.

Despite nominally being a bank manager , my hands could have got me out of Tsarist Russia due to the amount of woodchip & lincrusta I had to scrape off dodgy walls.

If you can get away with avoiding this fate , do so.

Thanks RT.

Landlord has okayed it and is paying for half the cost.

Some of the wallpaper is in decent nick so will probably be ok. I think we might need to go back in and have another look. I did notice that some of the stuff around the windows is less good (peeling and the like) so I think that will have to come off.

I don't think that the house is so old that plastering will be a problem. It's in a damn good state in general.

Briefs, can you not get a decent one coat paint and use a couple of coats of that?

haha PB15 i have seen the house i will be in the end of next month, 3 of the rooms have this, the bathroom has falling off artex. Anyone decorating in wood chip should be shot at dawn.

You can put lining paper over old wall paper and then paint it, it wouldn't be a disaster, but for a better finish you would be best off stripping the wall paper first, or steaming it off. It's not a major issue though. Obviously this is dependant upon which type of wall paper is already up. If Its flock or chipboard, then it needs ripping off.

Is the correct answer. End of.

I have just had every room of my place redecorated (the wallpaper stripped and the walls painted white). My bedroom had woodchip so that one I asked to be re-plastered.

Most of the walls had to be skimmed though as when you paint over the fresh walls it really shows up every little scrape or dint that the wall paper was hiding. So, if you do go down the route of removing the wallpaper then steam it off and pray that there are no nasty surprises underneath.

• 3 months later...

A little tip for you would be decorators, make sure the current paper is stuck down entirely by coating the wall either with a mixture of thin wallpaper paste or my preference a mix of water and unibound. This will cause the loose areas to bubble up so you can score and stick them down, prior to re lining or at least give you a uniformed solid base for sticking the new paper onto it.Put a couple of cap fulls of unibound into the wallpaper mix for extra stick. Also treat the lining paper once its up for a truly well stuck base to paint stick too. I love unibond me.