You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like The Boot Room ethos?

yes, but a relevant one!

That was great, but it was then! This is now so lets have a new perspective, Wenger has turned Arsenal around! Why can't we have a similar evolution?

As Bill Hicks used to say, not everyone dies from Drugs how about some positive drugs stories?

That is completely irrelevent. "let's pretend we haven't won anything". We did win them. To attribute a win on penalties down to being lucky is taking the concept of being incredibly simple and making it into an artform. You get yourself into the position to win it on penalties in the first place. To discount it as lucky is just plain stupid.

Penalties just mean that the teams were well matched. United won their last one on penalties having been the poorer team. They were the poorer team in 1999 but nicked it.

That is up there with one of your daftest posts, which is a feat in itself.

Actually I find it a bit interesting, and to me its just another piece in the box of evidence that Rafa`s tactics might not be the bee`s knees like many would want you to believe, yes we have won a few titles, but it was hardly down to Rafa`s tactical excellence, it was a bit of luck even if we should have been the better team on the day, just like in athens were we lost against a pretty average Milan team.

Hopefully Rafa has learnt a few things these last couple of months about going for the kill, but dont tell me we won those finals because of Rafa`s brilliance.

Actually I find it a bit interesting, and to me its just another piece in the box of evidence that Rafa`s tactics might not be the bee`s knees like many would want you to believe, yes we have won a few titles, but it was hardly down to Rafa`s tactical excellence, it was a bit of luck even if we should have been the better team on the day, just like in athens were we lost against a pretty average Milan team.

Hopefully Rafa has learnt a few things these last couple of months about going for the kill, but dont tell me we won those finals because of Rafa`s brilliance.

How exactly did we get to the finals in the first place. The players just played a bit?

It's funny but they are celebrating 1984 on Liverpool Tv at the moment! dont know why they are bothering myself we only won the league!

The European cup doesnt count, and the littlewoods cup needed a replay!!! Getting more like Everton every year.

You mean the average Milan side that outclassed the league champions Manchester United in the semi-final?

You're really moving on thin ice here, especially since you don't seem able to see the impressive tactical achievement in just reaching two CL-finals in three years.

You mean the average Milan side that outclassed the league champions Manchester United in the semi-final?

You're really moving on thin ice here, especially since you don't seem able to see the impressive tactical achievement in just reaching two CL-finals in three years.

Most English teams reach the semi finals these days, we were the only club in the top 4 this season who did not reach the semis in the FA Cup and the CL league.

My main point is that Rafa has shown nothing to suggest he should get total control of this club, its time to deliever for him now and he should concentrate on the first team and the problems he has got going there.

Most English teams reach the semi finals these days, we were the only club in the top 4 this season who did not reach the semis in the FA Cup and the CL league.

My main point is that Rafa has shown nothing to suggest he should get total control of this club, its time to deliever for him now and he should concentrate on the first team and the problems he has got going there.

Put the posts down, have a rest and have a cup of tea or the beverage of your choice.

One point which everyone seems to be missing.

Is it any wonder that rafa seems to be doing all the recruiting, restructuring, hiring and firing? There's a power vacuum at Anfield with 2 absent owners, no Foster Gillett any longer, no Parry, etc. We don't even have board meetings any more. Rafa is probably the only one able to think long-term at the moment and noone else is showing the remotest interest in running the club. Yes, it's a model that makes him more powerful and follows in the Wenger mould, BUT in the absence of anyone else looking out for the club, I'm mightily relieved he's doing all this.

What I love about Wenger is that he has the balls to play the young players, he played Fabregas at 16 against Man United. He also has a great record at spotting young players and making them into superstars, how many superstars has Rafa nurtured from nothing?

Giving a debut in the first team to arguably the best 16 year old in the world is not what I would describe as having balls. You can only nurture superstars if they have superstar potential. We have quite clearly had no-one approaching Fabregas's quality in our youth ranks during Rafa's time here.

Like you, I also admire much of what Wenger has done (you'd have to be either blind or the most ridiculously one-eyed Red ever not to), but if we're talking great managers for developing young players, Ferguson pisses all over Wenger. Even putting aside the Giggs generation, he won the league, league cup and world club cup this season whilst giving ten young players their first team debuts. That is almost literally incredibly. Wenger's philosophy is laudable, but also a little self-defeating if it doesn't lead to trophies. Ferguson gets the best of both worlds - and makes it pay too, as the sale of his latest surplus youth player for £6m proved this week.

We play in England, the most succesful English clubs have picked a manager and went with his ideas.

Another unremarked upon piece of simple wisdom. You're going to have to change your name to The Common Sense Boy; not as cool, granted - but it might make people pay more attention.

wahey, Rashid ruining another thread by acting like a twat. Quelle surprise.

Suck a fucking dick Rashid. Somebody had to say it.

Is this deliberately ironic, mate?

My impression from this thread is that Rafa could shit £50 notes for the transfer kitty and piss diesel for the team bus and he'd get flak because he shouldn't be involved in the transfer kitty and the transport.

I don't want the academy to be just a player factory, I want it to produce players that fit the overall ethos of the club, the squad and the style football we play, in short players that give the manager what he needs. We've had a state of open warfare between the club and the academy, a completely counter-productive state of affairs and one that's ultimately prompted this recent review.

Now we seem to be hiring youth coaches with indisputable pedigrees, men capable of and willing to work with the manager to understand what he wants from the academy and then delivering it. I just don't have a problem with it at all, it seems like the sort of thing we should be doing.

I think Messi need injections every day or two cos his bones weren't growing properly.

His parents and Independiente couldn't afford it so Barca done it all for him. Obviously they didn't do it cos they liked him as a person.

That'll make him stay there forever imo.

Yeah they were pumping him full of Hormones and god knows what else, Not even sure he was born I'd put my money on him being grown in a lab with Maradonna/Pele DNA (hopefully they blocked out the bits of his DNA that controlled addiction and impotence).

My impression from this thread is that Rafa could shit £50 notes for the transfer kitty and piss diesel for the team bus and he'd get flak because he shouldn't be involved in the transfer kitty and the transport.

I think it's already been established over the past two seasons that any success is inspite of Rafa not because of him.

threads mainly about peoples expecttaions and agendas

We probably have the 3rd most expensively assembled team and the we do have the 4th highest wage bill - by rights we shouldn't win anything............

the youth team has been in 3 youth cup finals in 4 years - so despite not producing first team players it must have done something right