You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez

Guest simon

Guest simon

Luis Suarez: Liverpool Lead Chase for £15M Ajax South American Scoring Sensation

luis-suarez-200.jpg

Liverpool are leading the chase for one of European football’s brightest attacking talents, the Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez. The talented frontman currently tops the Dutch scoring charts for his club Ajax and is one of the few plus points in a disappointing season for the Amsterdam giants.

Suarez has been playing in Holland for the past three seasons and has consistently scored goals whether playing on the flanks or just behind the main striker. However, this season has been his best so far after scoring 22 goals in 31 league appearances (30 starts). Eight of those 22 goals have come via the penalty spot. Despite the Uruguayan’s best efforts, Ajax are 12 points behind leaders AZ and four behind 2nd placed FC Twente meaning they will not qualify for the Champions League next season.

Ajax’s failure to qualify has led Suarez to urge the club to bring in new recruits. He told Sportsweek, “It would definitely be useful for Ajax to sign some quality players. It’s up to the coach to decide on which position we need to strengthen the squad. However, we could use some physically strong players in my opinion.”

“I’m extremely disappointed that we failed to qualify for the Champions League once again. I need to play at top level in order to keep improving as a player.

“Nevertheless, missing out on Champions League football is not just bad for me, but also disastrous for the club. Ajax have to wait yet another year to play at the highest level.”

Liverpool may well be the club that provides the Uruguayan with the ‘highest level’ of football required as Rafa Benitez is a keen admirer. The player’s versatility would also interest the Spaniard who is looking to strengthen his squad significantly this summer and Suarez’s comments suggest he may well be eyeing a move away from the Amsterdam Arena.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

[YOUTUBE]qW8HaqpatNo[/YOUTUBE]

The 22-year-old began his career in his homeland with club Nacional where he won a Uruguayan title before moving to Groningen in the summer of 2006 for €800,000. In his only season for the club he scored 10 goals in 29 league appearances (26 starts) before Ajax made their move for a fee of €9.5M.

Suarez has been a big hit since his move to Amsterdam after scoring 39 goals in just 64 league appearances (59 starts). His present contract expires in 2012 but with Liverpool interested this may well be his last season in Holland. The Uruguayan with 6 goals in 19 appearances for his country won’t come cheap and does have a reputation for ill-discipline which is perfectly illustrated by the 20 yellow cards he has received in 3 seasons in Holland. He was also sent-off on his international debut against Colombia in February 2007. However, for what he lacks in discipline, he certainly makes up for in talent. Not only does he score goals but he is also very creative and could provide Liverpool with the necessary ammunition to push on next season.

there's an article about him in the Guardian, didn't sound very good:

-

To a football fan, few things are as exciting as unbridled, gasp-inducing potential. And to that same fan, few things are as irritating as a diver who tries his very best to deceive and achieve through the most unflattering of ways. What if I told you the two could be combined? Melded into one super-talented, super-annoying Uruguayan Ajax attacker. Half man, half amazing and yet only half a man, acting childish and insolent – he is Luis Suárez, the 22-year-old tinglingly talented protagonist extraordinaire.

Having shown off superb touch and mobility and a deplorable attitude eager to scrape out any advantage there is to gain, Suárez has nursed a love/hate relationship with his audience. His whimsical irreverence makes him both infuriating and a joy to behold, mesmerising the eye while vexing the brain.

Last week, against AZ, he decided a crucial penalty was the best time to try a daring, delayed chip, which was saved by the keeper. "Luis is unpredictable," his manager, Marco van Basten, said. "He's hard to influence. But that makes him kind of special too."

But aside from taking penalties – he's converted eight, helping him share the lead in the scoring charts with Mounir El Hamdaoui, who has taken no penalties, at 22 apiece – Suárez is at least as fond of earning them. Indeed, he could have helped Sir Isaac Newton come to his ground-breaking conclusion a lot sooner than an apple and the moon did, so keen is he on going to ground in the penalty box.

However, having maxed out on the law of diminishing returns, he has so frequently conned referees that nothing short of a dismembered leg will get him a penalty these days. That became apparent on Sunday, when a challenge on him that deserved at least some penalty consideration was waved away by a referee determined not to be fooled.

That, yet another Oleguer Presas sending-off and a disjointed Ajax allowed lowly Sparta to extract four goals from them. The away 4–0 loss meant that Ajax have conceded 10 in just two games. "This was very bad, very painful, very annoying. How in God's name is it possible that we can't beat Sparta when it really matters?" said Van Basten. "Is it even fun to be manager any more?" he was asked. "Not now, no. Not right now … I don't want to leave. But the directors may want something else. That's possible, of course. "

Upon the return of the team bus to the Ajax stadium it was once again boxed in by angry supporters. As the team filed off to try to calm their tested and testy fans, the picture of the fallen giants turned ever more grim. The players bowed their heads in shame, looking decidedly modest in stature, as Van Basten tried to defend his side and the "process".

To his right stood his star, Suárez, looking mournful and unable to contribute for lack of Dutch. He is a metaphor for this Ajax – talented but inefficient, annoying, altogether concerned with the wrong things and, worst of all, unable to communicate, internally or to the fans.

Luis Suárez and Steve McClaren: misunderstood geniuses of Dutch football? | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Guest simon

Theres other places over the past few days. This had more info on him personally i think he is the ideal strike partner for Torres he a great assist machine.

Theres other places over the past few days. This had more info on him personally i think he is the ideal strike partner for Torres he a great assist machine.

what on earth makes you think that? he has major attitude problems, is a diver and against Villa in the UEFA cup hardly did anything. not at the right level for us and certainly not worth £15m.

Guest simon
what on earth makes you think that? he has major attitude problems, is a diver and against Villa in the UEFA cup hardly did anything. not at the right level for us and certainly not worth £15m.

He's class and i disagree with everything you just said.

Simon he doesn't really play as a striker mate, so you're chatting a bit of poo poo.

Guest simon
Simon he doesn't really play as a striker mate, so you're chatting a bit of poo poo.

He would though. He is an assist king. And got a cracking strike on him.

He would though. He is an assist king. And got a cracking strike on him.

He would what?

I know his strengths mate I've seen him play quite a few times this season, and always been impressed by him.

He normally plays as a wide forward, in either of the positions Dirk and Riera occupy for us, so would fit in to our system perfectly.

We wouldn't, nor should we, change our system to play him upfont with Torres. He can do that if required, but our current formation works perfectly well.

If Saurez works out... He'd be a steal.

If he doesn't? A serious failure.

No shit, Sherlock!

If Lance was correct, he would be right.

If he was incorrect, he would be wrong.

You heard it here first.

No shit, Sherlock!

If Lance was correct, he would be right.

If he was incorrect, he would be wrong.

You heard it here first.

No. You didn't get it.

If he works out, his dynamic play would be like Arshavin for Arsenal. A total dynamo.

If he doesn't work out, I reckon he'd be as poor or worse than Babel due to his nature/attitude.

I don't think he'd be just 'ok'.

No. You didn't get it.

If he works out, his dynamic play would be like Arshavin for Arsenal. A total dynamo.

If he doesn't work out, I reckon he'd be as poor or worse than Babel due to his nature/attitude.

I don't think he'd be just 'ok'.

I did get it, I just wanted to make fun of your bizzare choice of words to describe your views.

He's been talking today about how disappointed he is that Ajax haven't qualified for Champions League as he wants to play at the highest level he can. It he had the discipline to play wide left/right for us and still score goals could be a decent signing. Would he be as good as Silva?