You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Return of the King

Red Phoenix

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer for this not to happen.

Pako was Rafas best mate and he had no qualms about fucking him off when he disagreed with him. I'd fucking hate to see Kenny treated the same way.

EDIT : However if it worked well I'd be fucking delighted.

King Kenny will never betray Liverpool the way Paco did - we should not forget that before Hillsborough what a great track record Kenny had in bringing players of the following quality to Liverpool F.C - McMahan, Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton, Redknapp and Staunton as well as re-structuring the youth academy which would over the next 10 years produce Mcmahnaman, Fowler, Owen, Gerrard and Carragher. It is a frightening thought to see where the club would have been in the 90's following his departure if it had not been for his significant contribution.

I am really happy about this news, not just because it is Kenny but because of what it says about Rafa. As mentioned, many managers would shy away from bringing in someone who is already a massive legend at the club and no doubt a big personality. It suggests to me that maybe Rafa's ego isn't as big as some have suggested, that he is open minded, values Kenny's opinion and more concerned about what Kenny can bring to the party than what his appointment will do in terms of Rafa's control of the whole club.

In the past when these sort of appointments have been made i.e. "a link with the old bootroom" there has always been the suspicion that the idea has originated in the boardroom and the manager has gone along with it. I think that Sammy's appointment and Kenny's potential appointment will have been primarily Rafa's idea and I think that bodes well for the club.

In terms of what Kenny brings, he seems quite canny and brings a certain level of calmness and experience. I saw an interview with him quite recently in which he was asked about some comments Ferguson had made about Rafa and how Rafa had then responded. He said that Rafa should just take it as a big compliment. I think that if he were part of the club and part of the daily discussions with Rafa and the backroom staff then this view would probably be taken on board by Rafa, if it is not already, and that would probably serve us slightly better.

May be a short return for Kenny though if they put him in charge of the Academy, didn't he appoint Steve Heighway!?!?

I love Kenny to bits but were I Rafa I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with such a legendary figure in the background.

That's kind of how I see it to but it's great for Kenny to still be involved. It'll be interesting to see how this is all going to work.

As a side note, when I logged on this morning this thread was next to the one about Voronin coming back which looked a little strange!

Fucking brilliant! I love shit like this. If there's anyone I want to see back involved at Liverpool, it's Kenny.

It would be so good to have Kenny and Sammy Lee in and around the club. With Ablett in charge of the reserves too, there's a real homely feel to the club again, which is what everyone wants as this was the ethos the club had through the glory years.

I'm absolutely delighted.

Fucking brilliant! I love shit like this. If there's anyone I want to see back involved at Liverpool, it's Kenny.

It would be so good to have Kenny and Sammy Lee in and around the club. With Ablett in charge of the reserves too, there's a real homely feel to the club again, which is what everyone wants as this was the ethos the club had through the glory years.

I'm absolutely delighted.

Was thinking that when I saw Sammy Lee on the bench against Chelsea and he was giving it loads and shaking his head and I just thought 'fucking brilliant'.

You can't buy that kind of passion.

Guest Dog Chaser

Rafa would see an even greater surge in popularity if he can lure Dalglish back to the club, maybe Rafa's bringing him in to translate Fergie,s comments/rants/mind-games/bullshit into English?

love to see kenny back.im old enough to remember watching him play and later as a manager,his role in the club after hillsborough was massive ,he loves the club,the city and the people.Legend is the right word to describe kenny.As someone previosly mentioned,would love to see him at press conferences putting the boot into ferguson.

This is a great move by Rafa and IMO shows how confident he is in his own ability and position. Could you imagine asking your boss to employ some fella who used to have your job, was generally loved within the business and did you job more succesfully than you? If you weren't 100% sure of your position you wouldn't entertain it.

Carlsberg don't do Saturday mornings...

Brilliant news. Let's just hope it comes to fruition.

Concerns have been raised about having Kenny in the background and what that may mean for Rafa and his authority. However, I don't think it's a problem, as Rafa is confident enough about his own position, and the mutual respect between them is such that both will work very well together. Kenny is too much part of the soul of Liverpool to go doing anything to disrespect and undermine Rafa. And Rafa knows this. They both only want what's best for the club.

I believe Rafa has Kenny's 100% backing and with that, will get total co-operation with him, without Kenny being a yes man. He's got Rafa's respect enough to be able to speak his mind and say what he believes in.

I'm certain that they will be good for each other.

Bring it on!

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
fuck. this is too much stimulation.

I think i have just done the deed without touching myself on reading this, god help me if it comes off...

You'd probably be better off with a Doctor to be honest, but you'd probably go blind first

Brilliant news. Let's just hope it comes to fruition.

Concerns have been raised about having Kenny in the background and what that may mean for Rafa and his authority. However' date=' I don't think it's a problem, as Rafa is confident enough about his own position, and the mutual respect between them is such that both will work very well together. Kenny is too much part of the soul of Liverpool to go doing anything to disrespect and undermine Rafa. And Rafa knows this. They both only want what's best for the club.

I believe Rafa has Kenny's 100% backing and with that, will get total co-operation with him, without Kenny being a yes man. He's got Rafa's respect enough to be able to speak his mind and say what he believes in.

I'm certain that they will be good for each other.

Bring it on![/quote']

Agreed.

Also, I don't think the stress of day-to-day management has truly been what Kenny wanted for a long time - He's been tempted back into the game before but it's telling that he left Blackburn the season after their title win and hasn't taken a proper managerial position since Newcastle. I don't think there would be any undermining of Rafa.