You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hate

Section_31

To be honest, anyone who didn't start watching football in the last five years and doesn't support Liverpool would be fucking terrified of a resurgence of the 1980's Liverpool sides.

We fucking dominated everything and most people in that age group either 1) Hate us and tell their kids about it/friends about it/the media about it/etc. at every oppurtunity, 2) Respect us, grudgingly but am glad we fell off our perch, or 3) Love us.

edit: New Sky fans probably see Liverpool as perennial 'nearly-rans' with 'two lucky seasons(FA Cup, Euro Cup)' and are upset that Liverpool are trying to break the 'Chelsea, Arsenal, United' top three. I just remembered some sky fans trying to talk football in North america... Funny stuff that.

I think its largely because of the fact we're on TV a lot, and our recent games have tended to be interminably dull for the neutral. It's much the same as Liverpool fans wanting to see, for example, West Brom stay up ahead of Stoke because they play more entertaining football.

Um, we're pretty hateful towards other clubs too, not just the bitters and mancs. Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and other clubs have taken enormous amount of flak on this forum alone.

Giving out shit and enjoying seeing someone get beat is not hate though is it.

I like seeing the geordies get beat. Comedy gold. I don't hate them though.

Deluded as they are they love thier football.

Hate is such a strong word and it is over-used.

Possible the only team I hate are Everton. The Mancs less so because begrudgingly you have to admire thier achievements.

I think old school arsenal fans are alright - it's all these new sky generation, va-va-voom relpica top wearing cunts that do my head in. fucking henry left them 2 years ago and they still walk the streets in shit arse top s with va-va voom on. cunts. oh and all this "hoof". fuck off - have you watched anything of arsenal pre-wenger. double cunts.

have to agree i hate arsenal fans, but i have to say its true,the venom of hatred is stepping up every year,its obviously got worse since istanbul and let it continue,it means we are doing well so fuck em all,the amount of away grounds where u hear anti liverpool songs is spreading too .

Commentators do seem to be a bit more biased against us recently, especially banging on about people takcling Alonso always getting carded. But I think the more we talk about being hated or hard done by, the more we will be. As fans we need to retain our class when winning/drawing/losing, not like Utd who are bad winners and losers.

Its all to do with style of football, In Roy Evans time Liverpool were not hated like they are now, I think Liverpool have been hated a lot more since Gerrard Houllier took over and the football played since, like it or not, neutral fans think we are a dull (and lucky)team but we are quite successful with it, which annoys them

Arsenal were completely despised remember until they played good football

Its all to do with style of football, In Roy Evans time Liverpool were not hated like they are now, I think Liverpool have been hated a lot more since Gerrard Houllier took over and the football played since, like it or not, neutral fans think we are a dull (and lucky)team but we are quite successful with it, which annoys them

Arsenal were completely despised remember until they played good football

That's one of the reasons i despise their fans, they think they've the god given right to win everything because they play good football.

The scouser point for me is the crux of the matter. The rest of the country just does not like us. It's strange because since I moved from Liverpool to Scotland people have always warmed to me because of the accent. A mutual hatred for Thatcher helped too.

I ,too, have noticed and it stems from a few things but of the top of my head:

A) Scousers

B) People don't like that Gerrard dives

C) Negative football

D) Foreign managers who don't really " play the game" in regards to interaction with media

E) We're winning.

F) Most neutral fans are infact cunts.

We were hated and respected, certainly the media hated us, especially in the North West.

Remember when City beat us in 81 and Granada playing the song the Party's over. Gerald Sinstadt had to apologise for that.

Even then it was all about Utd.

I remember that well I think it was Brucie's first season and we were at home whwne we lost to city. I also remeber the Kop singing "where's your party now?" as we marched on to another title later in the season.

We got a very grudging press coverage in Shankly's last few years - it was always 'the red machine grinds on' with the implication we were dull and boring, but it was pretty respectful during Paisley's era because he was a gent and we played increasingly stylish stuff (and hacks got quite proud of the fact we dominated Europe). I suspect that part of the problem these days is that some of the current hacks grew up seeing their own teams beaten over and over again by us, so there's a certain degree of relish in their coverage of any setbacks we have. What I really find an odd phenomenon is Richard Keys' growing obsession with us - he seems to genuinely loathe us these days, much more so than he did, say, in 2005. I see him this season and it's as if he's spent the previous day desperately searching for as many negative things as he can find to raise about us. He's become really psychotic.

Is it something that's really LFC-related? People just generally seem more hateful these days, and it's probably just something that goes in cycles. There's a massive difference in attitude towards any opposing fans these days, but obviously the more successful the club, the more hated they are.

As sad as it is, there seems to be no such thing as "friendly rivalry" any more. In all my years as a season ticket holder, including both home and away games, there was only one match I can remember ever feeling really intimidated and uncomfortable; when we played Feyenoord in the mid-90s. It was a shock to not just witness, but actually feel the deep loathing and disgust coming from their fans.

Nowadays that kind of display is evident across the board, and not just from away fans, it includes our (Everton) fans too. I've felt ashamed of some of our fans for quite a long time, but it's a depressing state of affairs when you actually feel intimidated by your own supporters.

I don't even know if it's football related. People are just more twattish now, and football is as good an excuse as any for them to display that kind of nobbish mentality.

Good post SKI people in general hate a lot more not just in football, people hate on each other for no reason sometimes. With regards to us as a club, there are more and more pundits, fans, press sticking the knife in for all the reasons outlined by everyone.

I just dont understand how anybody can hate another club. I dont hate Everton (Comedy gold to me just like Newcastle) or Manchester United who are the only club I dont like but I dont hate them, infact I respect their achievements.

I have just started a new job and the numbers who upon hearing who I support instantly come out with 'oh I really hate Liverpool' but very few explain why.