You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where to start....

1) You claim that Shilton should have broke Maradona's jaw instead of going for the ball. Yeah, that would be smart, especially in the world cup following Schumacher's attack on Battiston. If Shilton had done that, he'd been sent off.

2) Shilton didn't jump straight up for the ball, because he came running from the line. And anyway, it's beside the point. He made the right decision, because if Maradona had not used his HAND, then Shilton would have knocked it away.

3) Clemence was a fine goalkeeper, but let's face it, the post-Liverpool Clem was not the Clem of the seventies. Shilton was impressive in the Forest/So'ton years. Remember - Clemence lost his place to Grobbelaar, and the season Grobbelaar became no 1, he was more errorproned than ever.

1) He would have got the ball and probably taken Maradonna with him, if you want to use my poetic licence at least use it in the spirit it was intended.

2) Clemence would never have given him the chance.

3) Was Clemence errorproned? We still won the League Cup & European Cup though.

Grobbelaar never took over from Clem during the season I don't know were you got that from.

Incidentally the reason Ray Clemence left Liverpool was because he was shagging Tom O'Connor's daughter, and John Smith had a zero tolerence policy on anything that would bring disripute on the club.

Clemence

Still mindblowing suggest you actually read what you posted.

I`'ll just give you one season Shilton was better because I remember it well, the season in question is Forrest one the title which would never have happened without Shilton and thats before you even begin to review Clemences from that season.

The following season Clemence rediscovered his form and was immense

At least I can be objective.

So because Clem conceded a few more goals (it was 10 actually) that made Shilton better.

I'll give you that Nick, for that one season he matched Clem. The rest of the time no, he was nowhere near him.

I'll repeat he was the biggest fucking con in the history of English football.

Again: it's crazy to blame the goalkeeper for that goal. If you think that Maradona is a cool guy and Butcher/Shilton/rest of the 86 squad are bitter twats, fine with me. But blaming Shilton for letting it in - it's insane.

I'm not blaming him for letting it in.

I'm saying a different & better keeper who should have been in goal (and probably still at Liverpool) would of handled it differently and successfully.

England doesn't seem to mind winning the World Cup on a wrong decision so why should Maradona care?

I guess if Geoff Hurst had spent the next 20 odd years spouting on about it being the "goaline of god", laughing at the Germans, saying it was revenge for the second world war, etc. some players in the german team might think he was a bit of a nob?

Same thing no?

I think what Maradona does is pretty funny, don't get me wrong, but if I'd been playing in that England team, in the world cup quarter final, and didn't have the biggest brain in the world, I'd probably still be pissed off at Maradona.

I guess if Geoff Hurst had spent the next 20 odd years spouting on about it being the "goaline of god", laughing at the Germans, saying it was revenge for the second world war, etc. some players in the german team might think he was a bit of a nob?

Same thing no?

I think what Maradona does is pretty funny, don't get me wrong, but if I'd been playing in that England team, in the world cup quarter final, and didn't have the biggest brain in the world, I'd probably still be pissed off at Maradona.

Barnes, Beardsley & Lineker aside, that's a fucking big compliment to some of those living brain donors.

Butcher is a typical inger-lund man, supporter, footballer.

Never accept defeat because you were shit or that you were'nt up to it blame it all on Johnny Foreigner.

The Fact Diego revels in it makes it even funnier that people are wound up by it.

Butcher could of said nothing but now he's turned it in to something much bigger the knob.

Same thing no?

finally a bit of sense

Guest Han_shoots_1st!
Mate - what a completely fucking arsehole statement.

If you want to open that debate, go right ahead and I'll make you look a cunt. Just start another thread.

No, you fuck off to Boreham Wood. You might find that's where loads of people would agree with you and on Thatcher, who's not popular round here you know...

Fuck this lads, nearly every player cheats, including Liverpool ones.

You'd swear Maradona was the only one. Just look a you tube for a compilation of Gerrard best ones. And for those saying at least he doesn't brag about it, it certainly doesn't stop him doing it. He will dive again and is happy to do it.

And for those saying Shilton should have taken Maradona out, I can only assume they fully condone the goal.

And for those saying Shilton should have taken Maradona out, I can only assume they fully condone the goal.

I don't condone what Maradonna did, but nor am I arsed about it.

I'm not saying either that Shilton should have taken Maradonna out. What I am saying is that had Clemence been in goal, and knowing the way he played he'd of taken the ball & player regardless of Maradonna handling it. There are plenty of ex reds & Tottenham defenders with the bruises to prove it. Once Clem decided he was going for it that was the end of the matter all you could do was get out of the way. Probably the best keeper ever for commanding his area.

He doesnt have to join a love in. He doesn't have to like or forgive Diego but he looks like a fucking pleb crying and moaning 22 years on. Get the fuck over it.

I dont buy into the whole Ingerlund phenomena either, but Butcher has valid reasons to be unhappy about it. If this happenned in a European Cup Final where we lost to a snidy cunts blatent handball, whether from the best player in the world at the time, or the equivalent of Mark Bright, we would be unhappy about it 22 years later. I would doubt the credibilty of fans if they were not unhappy about it.

For the record, I hope Butcher nuts the fat drug taking cunt.

Everyone cheats. Owen cheated twice against the Argies, Simone cheated, Maradona cheated. Even Gerrard has gone done easily once or twice playing for Ingurland. So fucking what? It happens.

At the same time, I understand why Butcher is still fuming about it. As Phily said, if Kaka had punched a winner against us in Istanbul, we would be fuming as well. Especially if Kaka goes on about it for years. I mean, has anyone forgot the "indirect freekick" when we played Inter?

Maradona is a genius and it was clear from the 2nd goal he scored in the same game. However, if any England player or fan is still angry about his first 'goal', they have a point too.

So because Clem conceded a few more goals (it was 10 actually) that made Shilton better.

I'll give you that Nick, for that one season he matched Clem. The rest of the time no, he was nowhere near him.

I'll repeat he was the biggest fucking con in the history of English football.

Reminds me of Monthy Pyhton's Holy Grail and thou shall not pass this bridge. Lets call it a draw then!