You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The thing with Keane is, had he ever come up against Souness he would have been slapped down each and every time they ever fucking played. I hate all this greatest midfielder bollocks that surrounds him. The greatest midfielder this country has ever produced is Souness and if Keane could of ever come up against him he'd of found out that his famous will to win had suddenly deserted him.

Souness is my favourite ever Liverpool player and my first footie hero as a kid. However, just because Souness was brilliant (and better then Keane by a distance in my opinion) that doesn't make Keane a bad player.

Keane is one of English footballs midfield greats. The fact Souness is our greatest ever midfielder, doesn't change what Keane was.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souness is my favourite ever Liverpool player and my first footie hero as a kid. However, just because Souness was brilliant (and better then Keane by a distance in my opinion) that doesn't make Keane a bad player.

Keane is one of English footballs midfield greats. The fact Souness is our greatest ever midfielder, doesn't change what Keane was.

No it doesn't, but I am sick of the ridiculous revisionism of Keane that has made him into in many people's eyes the greatest midfielder ever, or certainly post war.

He's not, in this country that honour belongs to Souness, infact the only midfielder I can think of to hold a candle to Souness was Socrates, another who'd of shit all over Keane.

No it doesn't, but I am sick of the ridiculous revisionism of Keane that has made him into in many people's eyes the greatest midfielder ever, or certainly post war.

He's not, in this country that honour belongs to Souness, infact the only midfielder I can think of to hold a candle to Souness was Socrates, another who'd of shit all over Keane.

I agree. Souness is the greatest midfielder ever in the UK. All I'm saying is that doesn't automatically make Keane not good. It's like the people who have decided that Garreth Barry is shite because we wanted him once we'd sold Alonso. I'm delighted Alonso has stayed, but that doesn't make Barry shite. In fact if we have Barry in our squad as well as Alonso and Masch then we really have great options.

Most people only really remember modern times. Man Utd fans of 25 and under will tell you that Keane is their greatest ever player. Man Utd fans of 35 and under may say Cantona, and Utd fans of 45 and under may say Best.

I hate keane, but there is no denying that he was a superb footballer.

I agree. Souness is the greatest midfielder ever in the UK. All I'm saying is that doesn't automatically make Keane not good. It's like the people who have decided that Garreth Barry is shite because we wanted him once we'd sold Alonso. I'm delighted Alonso has stayed, but that doesn't make Barry shite. In fact if we have Barry in our squad as well as Alonso and Masch then we really have great options.

Most people only really remember modern times. Man Utd fans of 25 and under will tell you that Keane is their greatest ever player. Man Utd fans of 35 and under may say Cantona, and Utd fans of 45 and under may say Best.

I hate keane, but there is no denying that he was a superb footballer.

Agree, I'm not trying to disparage Keane as a player he was very good but the revisionism by some so-called experts is frankly fucking staggering. I'm more having ago at them than Keane.

Neither Ipswich nor Norwich should have football teams. It just doesn't suit them. Even when they get excited it's like someone's told them the potato fairies are coming. One team's dressed like mustard pots, the other look like bottles of domestos. Hopeless. You can't even sing in that accent of theirs. They should concentrate on farming, shooting burglars and animal sex.

I think Keane was a brilliant football and IMO probably the best captain over the past 20 years. He was very similar in a way to Gerrard in that he leads by example but also he was more vocal. JohhnyH is right, just because Sky are obsessed with everything after 92' doesnt mean we should dismiss everything. Gerrard could very well turn out to be our greatest ever player, a couple of league titles and IMO he will be.

I've said it before - we would have really pushed on if Souey had managed to get Keane from Forest. As a person, I don't know. He's certainly intriguing - for someone who talks so much about learning lessons he seems to keep on making the same mistakes. Emotionally he seems to be about 17. That can sometimes lead to good things, and sometimes it can be utterly and excruciatingly embarrassing. It doesn't make him look like a good long-term bet.

Neither Ipswich nor Norwich should have football teams. It just doesn't suit them. Even when they get excited it's like someone's told them the potato fairies are coming. One team's dressed like mustard pots, the other look like bottles of domestos. Hopeless. You can't even sing in that accent of theirs. They should concentrate on farming, shooting burglars and animal sex.

Thread over.

He also delivered a withering verdict on Tony Cascarino, who argued that he would be "amazed'' if Keane "got another job in football'' after walking out on Sunderland in December.

"Tony Cascarino?'' Keane said. "I would not give him the time of day. I am quite happy to comment on people's opinion in football I respect, but [he] is a man I certainly do not respect, for a lot of reasons, and if I told you, you would be shocked. The day I worry about [him] will be a very sad day of my life

Outstanding. He's not all bad,Keane.

I can fully undertsand liking him as a player and as a captain as he was superb at both. However, to like that jumped up thug of a scum bag quitter as a person is just bizzare. He has no none football traits as a human being that I would like in any person I know.

I have a different assesment of him than you do - clearly, but respect your opinion.

I just think that someone with his drive, passion and commitment is exactly what the team of Sounness,Evans/Houllier needed. In fact I often used to think that I wished some of the wimbledon players attitudes could have been transplanted into our players of that era.

Can't understand this appointment. Why do some clubs still give jobs to managers on the basis that they were great players? Most of the managers at top clubs did not play their football at the highest level.

With the help of the owners millions, he may get them up. As with Sunderland, when the novelty wears off, Ipswich will realise that they have someone with erratic moods, no communication skills and who is poorly equiped to be a manager. By this time he will have quit anyway.

The players I really hate are the ones who seem to need to wind up other team's fans before they can enjoy their own achievements. Fat Frank, Ronaldino, Neville, Rooney, Drogba, Arshavin...they seem unable just to turn away and celebrate without trying to pee people off. Keane is a hell of a difficult character, but he never had that side to him.

I've no idea whether or not the so-called 'Toxteth Terror' STILL hasn't absorbed the very simple (insultingly simple, if you're a small dog) fact that I have him on 'ignore,' - I only comment because the daft fecker still seems to post soon after I have (thus I get a 'you are ignoring this idiot' message') - but I really do have him on 'ignore'. That means that I can't read what he writes. So for god's sake go away, you brainless twat!