You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Wire

Brownie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your Wire boxsets aren't American like mine, then you're not hard core, there might not be evidence for this, but it's scientifically proven fact.

Lent my mate my season four all american yesterday and he got it home last night only to find it wouldn't play, ultimate NIGHTMARE scenario.

Definitely the best TV show I've seen. When you have the box sets, its all too easy to sit there as the credits role and think ; ''Just one more episode...'

The sheer scope of it is what I find so endearing. Theres never been such a large group of interlinking characters in a TV series before, and every one of them is fully formed, believable and brilliantly acted. Its so easy to suspend your disbelief that its a TV show and get sucked into it as if its completely real.

Its great introducing it to people who've never seen it and them having their realisation moment that its fucking boss.

right you's wire loving motherfuckers' date=' ive just spent 24 euro i should be saving on series 1.

what have i done, now if i like it(which i'm guessing i will) ill have to keep on getting series after series.

nonetheless, online shopping is ace.[/quote']

I just did the same mate. So easily done.

Good work.

I'll be honest at first I just though it was 'good', but soon I'd nearly reached the end of the first series and didn't know how I'd gone through them so fast, it's one of those shows that gets better the more you watch it too.

I watched the first season again last week and I noticed plot points I'd not even picked up on the first couple of times. There's just so much going on and so many characters.

One thing I'll never know though is how the creators (two middle-aged white men) mastered all that project slang?!?

One was a Baltimore crime reporter and the other a Baltimore detective then High School Teacher. On the DVD of series 4 there's a great couple of Documentaries about the making of the show - and it's impact etc. Full of great little nuggets. For example, the old Deacon, who's a bit of a fixer in seasons 3 and 4 - used to be a drug Kingpin in Baltimore, he was arrested and sent to prison for 14 years. The guy who arrested him was Ed Burns - co-creator of the wire (and former detective). Tight!

right you's wire loving motherfuckers' date=' ive just spent 24 euro i should be saving on series 1.

what have i done, now if i like it(which i'm guessing i will) ill have to keep on getting series after series.

nonetheless, online shopping is ace.[/quote']

I got series one for Christmas - just finished Series 4 last week. Addictive shit.

One was a Baltimore crime reporter and the other a Baltimore detective then High School Teacher. On the DVD of series 4 there's a great couple of Documentaries about the making of the show - and it's impact etc. Full of great little nuggets. For example, the old Deacon, who's a bit of a fixer in seasons 3 and 4 - used to be a drug Kingpin in Baltimore, he was arrested and sent to prison for 14 years. The guy who arrested him was Ed Burns - co-creator of the wire (and former detective). Tight!

Yeah I've seen that mate it's a top watch, but I still don't know how they've picked up all that street slang though.

They say things in Baltimore (according to the documentary on Season 5) like 'gump' (an idiot) or 'carry' (instead of Play, 'are you trying to carry/play me') which they don't say anywhere else, the guy who plays Bodie said he couldn't even get his head around some of the turns of phrase because he's from New Jersey.

Fascinates me the way they don't say 'cop' either but they say 'she's a good po-lice'

• 3 months later...

Just finished the first season. Completely hooked. Sat down with the missus to watch the first episode; she jibbed it and was laughing at every third word being "Fuck" and I found it hard to warm to but carried on thinking that I would be rewarded. I was. Great stuff. Don't know why but I love the Stringer Bell character, so calm and composed. That bit at the end where he comes over to speak with McNulty is class.

This time last week (well about 2.30am) I was stood on the corner of Slater Street pissed shouting "Yella tops, get dem yella tops yo! Election day special, two gets you three!" Rounded off with a "Pandemic! Pandemic!"

Nobody offered to buy any, everyone looked concerned.

*Strolls in and sees a forum full of Wire heads*

"My work here is done."

*Strolls off again*

You should set up franchises Paul, wasn't your first Wire thread called 'probably just for me and Hoddy'?

I've contaminated my mates with this now, I used to tell them various shit from episodes and they'd say 'I'll have to give it a watch'. Following constant mytherin they did do, and two in particular are hooked. Everytime I go out now they won't shut the fuck up about it. And it's ALL.YOUR.FAULT!

Bought series 1 to get me through the night feeds for our new baby. I was due to do the 3 am feed last night but got up early to watch a few extra episodes during my nightshift. Watched episodes 5-8 from midnight till 3am this morning. Disturbed that this little fella may be subliminally absorbing the vocab and his first words may be "Yo Motherfucker get to the pit".

It's ace telly. Really enjoying it. Watched one episode in the hours of daylight and the mother in law wandered in and watched it but she prefers Inspector Frost !!!!!

I reckon I could be investing in the full kit over the next few months. Good stuff.