You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EXCLUSIVE: Gunners Target Alonso

TLW

No but you said Rafa was right to buy Keane over Villa because he will settle quicker and is used to the premiership etc. However i find that to be complete bollocks just because they come from the premiership it doesn't mean they'll settle straight away, Pennant came here 2 years ago and still hasn't settled and a similar thing happened to Bellamy when he was here.

I just think its too simplistic to say a premiership player will settle straight away and should be the reason you sign one over a more talented foreign player. The quality of the player should always be of the most importance not what league he's currently playing in.

The reason why I do not agree with your use of Pennant is that I do not categorise him as a class player so in effect it would take longer for him to adapt or even to have an impact on the team. He never had quality performances and as such I did not see at the time why Rafa signed him.

Keane on the other hand is a consistent performing goalscorer who is rated highly in anyones book. A players player if you will.

As such Keane and Pennant would not adapt in the same time period that you have set out (2 years) as in many ways Pennant is an inferior player to Keane.

So we move on from Pennant to Bellamy who is a similar player but moved on why. Why? Because although Bellamy had tons of experience he did not simply socre goals or do enough for the team.

Comparing straight talent of Keane and Villa and in many ways Keane will come up short, however I can see him adapting faster in the Liverpool team than Villa and in some way scoring more goals than him that dont only require talent but also experience.

I'm going to say this just once. It's not about individual players. Individual players don't win you the title (we'll, except Ronaldo. But he's made of some kind of human-like polymer that most people don't have access to.) It's about building the best TEAM. We all saw how ineffective Torres was alongside Villa. So, yeah it would be great on paper to have Villa and Alonso instead of Keane and Barry. In fact, I'm pretty sure half the cunts on this forum would rub their nob raw at the simple thought of it. But, if Keane and Barry are going to forge a better TEAM than keeping Alonso and/or signing Villa, then what's you're fucking problem with Rafa doing that?

I'm going to say this just once. It's not about individual players. Individual players don't win you the title (we'll, except Ronaldo. But he's made of some kind of human-like polymer that most people don't have access to.) It's about building the best TEAM. We all saw how ineffective Torres was alongside Villa. So, yeah it would be great on paper to have Villa and Alonso instead of Keane and Barry. In fact, I'm pretty sure half the cunts on this forum would rub their nob raw at the simple thought of it. But, if Keane and Barry are going to forge a better TEAM than keeping Alonso and/or signing Villa, then what's you're fucking problem with Rafa doing that?

I wholeheartly agree with that post. I am even going to rep you.

The fact that Beintex wants Barry and Keane in the squad means that he has identified a weakness within the team and seeks players that can make the squad better.

That enough for me to back him up.....

Having to have 8 of 25 homegrown players in your CL squad is definitely a part of this. That, and Premiership experience and people who will fit into the squad. It's because they're not foreign that some people have a problem with, which is weak.

Simple because if Rafa wants Barry then Senna would do a better job than Barry and be a more effective player for us.

He is a quality version of Momo and yes if you actually watched the Euros he can get forward into goal scoring positions and can obviously pass the football

I'm not being rude - how the fuck do you know this. Are you a scout? Have you watched them every week for the last year? Have you studied their stats like Rafa's men do?

So fucking what if Senna can get forward. None of us know how Barry will be played. None of us know which formations Rafa is going to use.

Your passing your comments as fact and they are obviously not!

In your opinion maybe, in your dreams maybe but not fact. It's obvious you don't want him to sign and everybody knows it already. Please give it a rest.

:eek:

I'm not being rude - how the fuck do you know this. Are you a scout? Have you watched them every week for the last year? Have you studied their stats like Rafa's men do?

So fucking what if Senna can get forward. None of us know how Barry will be played. None of us know which formations Rafa is going to use.

Your passing your comments as fact and they are obviously not!

In your opinion maybe, in your dreams maybe but not fact. It's obvious you don't want him to sign and everybody knows it already. Please give it a rest.

:eek:

Vivaldo, meet Red Nick...

I have been on here before and I have to admit that before yesterday I was suportive of Alonso leaving in favour for Barry.

Now I am not so sure......

In the past few seasons we have seen Alonso play behind the attacking midfield, in front of the defence. As in very deep trying to dictate the play with his long range passing.

Yesterday I saw him play very foward, supporting the attack....and I must say it was like watching a different player. He can pick out mid range passing with ease and can also pick up the ball from outside the box and score.

I mean I still support the managers decision to bring in Barry but not at the expense of Alonso. If he is used where he was used yesterday then he can be a very usefull player to have in that positon....

Its now time for RAfael Benitez to show the same class, style and professionalism as Xabi has showed this close season and officially welcome Xabi back into the fold and forgive him for his outburst about Pako leaving adversely effecting the team

Go on Rafa you have class and style and now is the time to show it.

Its now time for RAfael Benitez to show the same class, style and professionalism as Xabi has showed this close season and officially welcome Xabi back into the fold and forgive him for his outburst about Pako leaving adversely effecting the team

Go on Rafa you have class and style and now is the time to show it.

Even if Rafa felt the need to do this, which I doubt very much he does, I would expect him to do it private. :thumbup:

I reckon rafa still wants to sell him and i don't think he'll start on wed. It's two legs remember and i reckon gerrard will play anyway. I expect to see alonso on the bench.

Rafa shouldnt cut off his nose to spite the teams face.

Its clear no one is going to give us the money we want for Alonso and we wont be getting Barry so time to bury the hatchet and get Xabi playing like he did 2 seasons ago

I reckon rafa still wants to sell him and i don't think he'll start on wed. It's two legs remember and i reckon gerrard will play anyway. I expect to see alonso on the bench.

Gerrard is injured for Wednesday isn't he?

Can't seem him playing Plessis and Spearing in a CL qualifier.