You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'Liverpool 2008 FC' - A New Beginning

Guest ShanklysGhost

Guest ShanklysGhost

AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL LIVERPOOL SUPPORTERS

Friday 25/1/08 was a day that will go down in infamy in the history of Liverpool Football Club. Friday 25/1/08 was the day that the stewardship of our beloved club by two most undesirable proprietors was sealed. Friday 25/1/08 was the day that Liverpool Football Club lost its soul.

I have stood and sat in the Kop for fifty years, through its greatest, its humblest (some on here may not realise we were in the old second division within the living memory of most Liverpool supporters) and most tragic times. I have witnessed all our major triumphs and all our humbling defeats. But now no more. This, my fellow Reds, is the end of the line for me.

Unlike many of those who resisted the takeover of Manchester United by the Glazer family I am not set against Americans per se owning our club. It is these particular Americans that I am opposed to for obvious reasons (it was educational to hear that former Chairman of Aston Villa, Doug Ellis, was prepared to accept a lower offer for his shares from Randy Lerner rather than allow Gillett gain control of the club). And make no mistake HICKS &GILLETT are in this now for the long haul – no matter how many REDS are left sleeping on bare mattresses!

What we are witnessing now is the birth of a commercial sports franchise the hub of whose operations will just happen to be within the City of Liverpool. It will be about as Scouse as any Merseyside branch of Tesco or Sainsbury. And worse still, as we have already become aware, our new and most unwelcome owners will do this in a way so underhanded that it would make MI6 blush.

But I haven’t ventured on to Liverpool fan websites for the first time in my life simply to deliver an ‘I Quit’ ultimatum. I have come here to say that ANY Liverpool fan that continues to go to matches is propping up the current regime. Boycotting the odd match here or there will not make the individual fan any less of a collaborator. S/he has to be ready to abstain from match attendance for the duration.

Unfortunately, the outlook for this kind of protest, at first sight, is not encouraging. Barely 300 people failed to renew their season tickets at Old Trafford after the Glazers took over. And those who stayed but decided to boycott club merchandise (and hypocritically vandalise the property of Manchester United executives) couldn’t prevent the clubs turnover reaching a record £250m last year (NB the 76% here who stated they would reduce their financial commitment to LFC should H&G remain).

The formation of an opposition football club on the other hand appears slightly more promising. Playing well outside Manchester at Bury’s Gigg Lane ground, FC United of Manchester regularly commands gates in excess of 3,000. More importantly, the dissidents are not only sticking with their new creation – they are growing in number.

There is much we can learn from the experience of Man U fans who opposed the Glazer takeover. I believe that we could make a sustained boycott of Liverpool FC much more effective and that a new club venture could be more successful. I believe this because Liverpool is a more tightly knit community with a more distinct identity with a greater appetite for struggle.

Fellow Reds, we are now at a crossroads. Either we can just talk of contempt for Gillette and Hicks while continuing to aid them in their monstrous scheme by passing through the turnstiles or we can sever our ties with their alien creation and reclaim our heritage by forming a new club: ‘Liverpool 2008 FC.’

I call upon the moderators, administrators and members of this forum, with links to the official and unofficial Liverpool Supporters Clubs and Associations to lobby your committees and officers to convene within a month an open meeting in a local public venue to discuss the topics that I have just raised: namely the launch of a long term boycott of ALL Liverpool FC fixtures and the establishment of a new association football club, ‘Liverpool 2008 FC.’

I hereby authorise all those who sympathise with the opinions expressed herein to reproduce them for a wider audience.

*Knock knock*

*Knock knock*

Helloooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Nobody around? Oh, okay.

*Closes gate*

I'm just Glad SG is back on here .Need a bit his unique brand of in your face to get this place back to being enjoyable

Welcome Back SG

It's not the ORIGINAL SG.

This fella says he's been going the game for 50+ years and I know the other SG and he is in his 30's.

Friday 25/1/08 was a day that will go down in infamy in the history of Liverpool Football Club. Friday 25/1/08 was the day that the stewardship of our beloved club by two most undesirable proprietors was sealed. Friday 25/1/08 was the day that Liverpool Football Club lost its soul.

I have stood and sat in the Kop for fifty years, through its greatest, its humblest (some on here may not realise we were in the old second division within the living memory of most Liverpool supporters) and most tragic times. I have witnessed all our major triumphs and all our humbling defeats. But now no more. This, my fellow Reds, is the end of the line for me.

Unlike many of those who resisted the takeover of Manchester United by the Glazer family I am not set against Americans per se owning our club. It is these particular Americans that I am opposed to for obvious reasons (it was educational to hear that former Chairman of Aston Villa, Doug Ellis, was prepared to accept a lower offer for his shares from Randy Lerner rather than allow Gillett gain control of the club). And make no mistake HICKS &GILLETT are in this now for the long haul – no matter how many REDS are left sleeping on bare mattresses!

What we are witnessing now is the birth of a commercial sports franchise the hub of whose operations will just happen to be within the City of Liverpool. It will be about as Scouse as any Merseyside branch of Tesco or Sainsbury. And worse still, as we have already become aware, our new and most unwelcome owners will do this in a way so underhanded that it would make MI6 blush.

But I haven’t ventured on to Liverpool fan websites for the first time in my life simply to deliver an ‘I Quit’ ultimatum. I have come here to say that ANY Liverpool fan that continues to go to matches is propping up the current regime. Boycotting the odd match here or there will not make the individual fan any less of a collaborator. S/he has to be ready to abstain from match attendance for the duration.

Unfortunately, the outlook for this kind of protest, at first sight, is not encouraging. Barely 300 people failed to renew their season tickets at Old Trafford after the Glazers took over. And those who stayed but decided to boycott club merchandise (and hypocritically vandalise the property of Manchester United executives) couldn’t prevent the clubs turnover reaching a record £250m last year (NB the 76% here who stated they would reduce their financial commitment to LFC should H&G remain).

The formation of an opposition football club on the other hand appears slightly more promising. Playing well outside Manchester at Bury’s Gigg Lane ground, FC United of Manchester regularly commands gates in excess of 3,000. More importantly, the dissidents are not only sticking with their new creation – they are growing in number.

There is much we can learn from the experience of Man U fans who opposed the Glazer takeover. I believe that we could make a sustained boycott of Liverpool FC much more effective and that a new club venture could be more successful. I believe this because Liverpool is a more tightly knit community with a more distinct identity with a greater appetite for struggle.

Fellow Reds, we are now at a crossroads. Either we can just talk of contempt for Gillette and Hicks while continuing to aid them in their monstrous scheme by passing through the turnstiles or we can sever our ties with their alien creation and reclaim our heritage by forming a new club: ‘Liverpool 2008 FC.’

I call upon the moderators, administrators and members of this forum, with links to the official and unofficial Liverpool Supporters Clubs and Associations to lobby your committees and officers to convene within a month an open meeting in a local public venue to discuss the topics that I have just raised: namely the launch of a long term boycott of ALL Liverpool FC fixtures and the establishment of a new association football club, ‘Liverpool 2008 FC.’

I hereby authorise all those who sympathise with the opinions expressed herein to reproduce them for a wider audience.

Good post. Now is the time for action, not for patience.

A successful boycott needs support from the vast majority of fans. It’s almost like a strike. A strike where 10% participates, the rest goes to work as usual, serves no other purpose than to punish the 10% involved.

Sadly, I very much doubt you’ll find sufficient support. After Hicks’ PR-stunt promising us a new stadium (again), Macsherano deal, supporting “Roffa”, it looks like many fans now have taken a “let’s wait and see” attitude. The fact we’re saddled with £350M debt and is still as far away from a new stadium as ever before and the fact Hicks has proved he is a lying bastard don’t seem to sink in.

Personally I’d rather support a new born Liverpool 2008 FC than some American’s milking cow. However, let's discuss that later. Right now let's fight to get our club back.

Good post. Now is the time for action, not for patience.

A successful boycott needs support from the vast majority of fans. It’s almost like a strike. A strike where 10% participates, the rest goes to work as usual, serves no other purpose than to punish the 10% involved.

Sadly, I very much doubt you’ll find sufficient support. After Hicks’ PR-stunt promising us a new stadium (again), Macsherano deal, supporting “Roffa”, it looks like many fans now have taken a “let’s wait and see” attitude. The fact we’re saddled with £350M debt and is still as far away from a new stadium as ever before and the fact Hicks has proved he is a lying bastard don’t seem to sink in.

Personally I’d rather support a new born Liverpool 2008 FC than some American’s milking cow. However, let's discuss that later. Right now let's fight to get our club back.

If people were to give up their season tickets (which would only result in people on the waiting list being given the opportunity to replace them) then how do they get them back when G+H fuck off? Surely they would go to the back of the queue, even for season tickets in the new stadium - if it ever gets built.

And before anyone jumps on my words, it was just a question.

If people were to give up their season tickets (which would only result in people on the waiting list being given the opportunity to replace them) then how do they get them back when G+H fuck off? Surely they would go to the back of the queue, even for season tickets in the new stadium - if it ever gets built.

And before anyone jumps on my words, it was just a question.

You’re probably right. A ticket boycott would probably fail. Boycotting the shop and e-season ticket might succeed, although it doesn’t seem to be enough support even for that right now.

Be prepared for at least a 25%+ increase in season tickets prices next year, boycott or not.

You’re probably right. A ticket boycott would probably fail. Boycotting the shop and e-season ticket might succeed, although it doesn’t seem to be enough support even for that right now.

Be prepared for at least a 25%+ increase in season tickets prices next year, boycott or not.

I'd imagine it would be steep.. It may be that I cant afford it, in which case, I would have to seriously think about giving it up anyway.

I'm boycotting everything else and would be up for boycotting specific matches if that were to happen in the future.

Im totally with mate but I do love my team but these barstards wont get another penny out of me.

I'll go to the away games when I can because they dont get that revenue.

I might even have to bite the bullet if we got to another CL final

Its very hard for your average supporter who goes to all the games to give up the one thing that gives him enjoyment and I dont think anyone who continues to want to go should be criticised for it

I would rather shoot both the fuckers than give my support to another club

I dont like the owners and i would do all i could to get the two of them out but Liverpool is in my blood it would be like saying i don't like my kidneys anymore so i will swap them for another liver it just cant and wont happen

I'm scouse my club is Liverpool neither can or will ever change even if the Devil himself buys the club

To be honest my club is the players on the pitch and the spirit and desire to win that they show in the right fit and proper way

It never bothered me that John Smith got well paid nor Noel White nor David Moores and if this club makes zillions then i dont care who pockets it cos the truth is someone is always going to pocket it

What i do care about is the name and image of my club and these two fuckers have dragged it through the mud over the last few months and they might have gone past the point of no return?

The fact is if they back the manager and behave in the right way and shut the fuck up they could do enough to continue running the club

That doesnt mean all is forgiven far from it i would support any bid that wanted to buy My Club and get these fuckers out as i believe most Reds would

But and here is the big But

If people continue the all out warfare that has been called for then it will split the fans down the middle and as soon as you divide you are beaten

Any opposition to the owners has to be more savey it isnt the ticket money that provides the income at Anfield regardless of what people think. If people decide not to renew then the next name on the list will and all you will have done is cut your nose off to spite your face

A campaign based at sponsors would provide more benifit everyone who wants a Liverpool shirt already has one so dont buy the new one and email the sponsors to say why you wont be

Buying stuff in the ground dont do it this again will send the right message

Anyone who has an e season ticket dont renew it and email saying why

All of these would have a bigger impact than giving up your ticket

Its about letting the right people know what you will do and then doing it so they can see the impact

Well that is my 2 pence worth anyway

I think thats like rearraning the deckchairs on the titanic while it sinks. A boycott of games is the only way, Hicks gloats that 'BRAND LOYALTY' means that fans will continue to put up with his shit for years, while prices rise and performances fall. He's stated it time and again, you only have to look at the Rangers fans view of him to see its what he's done there and what he'll do to us.

Unfortunatley, how many really would give up their season ticket ? Not sure I would if I had one, as there is hope of DIC coming in and the fact that 'If I dont take it smoeone else will'. So not easy either way, but while people continue to attend anfield and buy tickets, Hicks is making money and laughing at us.