You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Apparently, we shouldnt protest against G&H at the match, according to Andy Proudfoot

kopitegaz

RED WATCH: Fans becoming problem rather than solution

Jan 23 2008 by Our Correspondent, Liverpool Daily Post

Fans becoming problem rather than solution

THERE was a time when a crisis at Liverpool was being only two points clear at the top of the table. And actually being in second place was considered such a seismic disturbance that the papers would trumpet ‘what’s gone wrong at Liverpool?’

In those days such melodramatic headlines could be smugly laughed off, safe in the knowledge that soon all would be well and that normal service would be resumed shortly.

Nowadays we can draw no such comfort from the current crisis surrounding Anfield, where for once the hyperbole of the national Press cannot be dismissed so easily.

For the truth is that the wheels are coming off at Liverpool. On the pitch, off the pitch and in the stands, the team are facing challenges on a scale unprecedented in recent times.

And no-one is emerging with any credit from our response.

Of course the absentee owners form an easy target for the fans to vent their spleen against, and their behaviour in recent weeks has been rightly castigated.

The crass announcement about the courtship of Klinsmann has undermined Benitez, perhaps fatally, and the continued speculation about their intentions, irrespective of their repeated protestations, is deeply unsettling and feeds the media frenzy currently surrounding the club.

But are they directly to blame for the frankly awful performances on the pitch we have witnessed this season?

Is it their fault that we’ve seen more draws this season than in 20 ‘Carry On’ films?

Is it their fault that many of our first team squad seem incapable of withstanding the pressure of playing for a big club?

These shortcomings have not just manifested themselves since the Benitez spat became public, they have dogged us from day one.

Looking at the season as a whole, the periods of success can be seen as the ‘blips’ in an otherwise depressing period of under-achievement, rather than the other way round.

The current turbulent backdrop has merely given some of our weaker players the excuse to under-perform. And it wasn’t the co-owners who signed them.

So what has so irked the fans who noisily voiced their protest against all things American on Monday night?

Their lack of support for Benitez can be rightly decried, but it appears that the threat of saddling the club with the debt incurred to fund the new stadium is the catalyst for this outpouring of disgust.

Now I haven’t researched this particular point, but I suspect that any such undertaking would have related to their purchase of the club, in contrast to the Glazers’ acquisition of Man United, rather than the funding of the stadium.

Some fans seem to believe, and indeed expect, that the Americans should build the stadium out of their own pockets, and then just hand it over to the club as a free asset. Cuckoo.

What I’m absolutely certain of is that the sort of prolonged protests staged during Monday night’s match will do much more to distract the players than any amount of backroom financial wrangling.

Was this display of unrest consistent with the ‘Liverpool Way’ we all profess to hold dear?

By all means express displeasure before or after the match, preferably in a civilised manner, but once the team cross the white line, all our efforts should be focused on supporting the team.

So far the fans have occupied the high moral ground but any more nights like Monday and we’ll be part of the problem, not the solution.

Some of the relevant points he makes, seem to get lost along the way because he seems to be a pretentious wanker.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Chimp

What a complete load of wank. I really should come up with a more articulate and balanced appraisal but that pile of tosh just doesn't deserve it.

Buy the club - debt on G&H.

Build a stadium - debt on LFC (fair enough, and to be paid off with increased revenue).

All right thinking fans would be fine with the above scenario, but it is the sneaky loading of the purchase debt onto the club in addition to the stadium debt that is out of order, to mention nothing of undermining the manager etc.

And with regard to the article, it read a little as though he was rather too proud of his turns of phrase.

It really irritates me when apathetic pricks say that voicing our discontent about the current owners is not "the Liverpool way". The only reason I can think why people would say such a thing is because we've never had to do it before because the owners/ chairmen have never tried to jeopardise the club's future in the past.

I wish some people would stop worrying about how we come across to other people and just do what's right. Basically, if Hicks and Gillett get this loan, another Leeds United is on the cards, in my opinion.

What a wanker that fella is.

Guest The Chimp

There's nothing more Liverpudlian than fucking someone off who's trying to take the piss, and the club reflects the city as far as I'm concerned.

"Shall I just bend over and then you can shaft me fellas?"

What a fucking cretin. How can that tit miss the point so badly when he is meant to be a fan voice? I hope he keeps his head down now the clueless bastard.

The Liverpool Way in terms of the way the fans conduct themselves has no relevence anymore, we are in completely unchartered waters.

There's nothing more Liverpudlian than fucking someone off who's trying to take the piss, and the club reflects the city as far as I'm concerned.

The Chimp speaks sense (not a statement I thought I'd ever make before joining this forum!). Scousers are reknown for not taking any shit. Why should we make an exception now, when the long term future of our club is in jeopardy? The players are not going to get downhearted on the pitch if they hear anti-Hicks songs are they? Most of the foreigners probably wouldn't even understand what we are singing anyway, most of them say they can't understand a word of scouse! ;)

It really irritates me when apathetic pricks say that voicing our discontent about the current owners is not "the Liverpool way". The only reason I can think why people would say such a thing is because we've never had to do it before because the owners/ chairmen have never tried to jeopardise the club's future in the past.

I wish some people would stop worrying about how we come across to other people and just do what's right. Basically, if Hicks and Gillett get this loan, another Leeds United is on the cards, in my opinion.

What a wanker that fella is.

Agreed, as far as the liverpool way is concerned, if Shankly was still alive he'd be wearing war paint right about now.

Perhaps once the owners run Our club into the ground and Liverpool Football Club no longer exists, Andy Proudfoot can walk down that small path where Our club used to stand called "the Liverpool Way" and feel proud of "the Liverpool Way".

So Dave gets his own path now, as part of the refinancing deal? Does it come with a shelter so he doesnt get wet selling TLW?

So Dave gets his own path now, as part of the refinancing deal? Does it come with a shelter so he doesnt get wet selling TLW?

Yes... but remember the TLW fanzine will be all about the gravel path "the liverpool way" and not the way of Liverpool Football Club...

instead of captions about moneyball, or Crouch's height- they'll be about the pigeons and squirrels who are embroiled in a vicious gangwar over who the Liverpool Way tree belongs to...

Dark days indeed...

Yes... but remember the TLW fanzine will be all about the gravel path "the liverpool way" and not the way of Liverpool Football Club...

instead of captions about moneyball, or Crouch's height- they'll be about the pigeons and squirrels who are embroiled in a vicious gangwar over who the Liverpool Way tree belongs to...

Dark days indeed...

Will there still be T-shirts and mousemats with squirrels and pigeons on them?

Guest The Chimp
Scousers are reknown for not taking any shit. Why should we make an exception now, when the long term future of our club is in jeopardy? QUOTE]

It's time to close ranks. It's OUR club, let's fucking fight for it. (6)

As a city we've gone against more powerful people than these couple of chancers. I truly believe the fans can see these two off. We've just got to be organised and a show a bit of nouse.

Scousers are reknown for not taking any shit. Why should we make an exception now, when the long term future of our club is in jeopardy? QUOTE]

It's time to close ranks. It's OUR club, let's fucking fight for it. (6)

As a city we've gone against more powerful people than these couple of chancers. I truly believe the fans can see these two off. We've just got to be organised and a show a bit of nouse.

Think we'd need a full scale boycott or fans strike. Can't see that happen. I'll support anyone who tries though.

Empty Anfield for Inter match might do it, but it ain't gonna happen mate.

Think we'd need a full scale boycott or fans strike. Can't see that happen. I'll support anyone who tries though.

Empty Anfield for Inter match might do it, but it ain't gonna happen mate.

There's always some little wanker waiting for your seat. Fact.

Guest The Chimp

There's always some little wanker waiting for your seat. Fact.

I didn't post that, but nevertheless you're right. Maybe a few lads before the game advising people of the score and why they shouldn't be handing over money to the Americans.

I do actually think his point about supporting the team when the game start is right, theres no need for some of the chants the other night like the big fat head one - the only way you hurt these fuckers is finnancially but as pointed out there always one fan to replace another

I do actually think his point about supporting the team when the game start is right, theres no need for some of the chants the other night like the big fat head one - the only way you hurt these fuckers is finnancially but as pointed out there always one fan to replace another

Why? Are we just supposed to sit there and take all this shit? Actually the team did get very good (by recent standards) support. There were as many airings of songs/chants in support of the team as there were against G+H.

that article couldn't be more wrong

Disagree - a lot of sense in article - now starting to wonder if some fans enjoying all the controversy - " hey look at us we care for our club more than any other supporters". Protests starting to sound silly - Look what happend when Glaziers bought Manx - Owners will ignore protests and wait it out till team imoroves or they get an offer they like/ All whinging in world wont make them change their minds.

Simple explaination given in article and by Crouch - that players and by association the manager have let us down - dropping 15 points at home already is a disgrace and bugger all to do with owners bearing in mind size and cost of squad.

Nearly every fan mystified by inclusion of Kewell then the standard subsitution after 65minutes for Babel regardless of whats happening on pitch - or the continued use of Kuyt or Voronin - and they managers decision

Very little atmosphere at Wigan game or Villa (except anti owners ranting) - seems support only vocal on european nights or when manx visit.

Time to stop the so called protests and just cheer on the lads - your supporters not directors or shareholders