You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2001: A Space Odyssey - I've fallen asleep in this film more than any other, but I think I finally get it on the third viewing. The imagery and effects still hold up well.

OK, i've never quite got the ending - he travels through some mad Dr Who style tunnel for about 20 minutes, ends up all aged in some regency style bedroom where the obelisk is, and then a baby is in space.

And this means??? 

I don't think you are supposed to "decode" it, it can refer to Nietzche and eternal recurrence, or cyclical nature of life, or wormhole and time and space continuum... it's supposed to be a mystery open to interpretation. 

OK, i've never quite got the ending - he travels through some mad Dr Who style tunnel for about 20 minutes, ends up all aged in some regency style bedroom where the obelisk is, and then a baby is in space.

And this means??? 

It's probably bollocks, but the way I read it, the obelisk transports him through space and time to a point where both no longer conform to our laws and time is no longer a linear, hence why he can see himself aged, and then he's the older version of himself, for a moment seemingly inhabiting both positions. It will happen, so it has happened. I assumed the regency styling of the room was just what was considered fashionable in the future, as the floor is still made of light panels. The baby is his rebirth, now that time and space no longer constrain him, he's transcended to something else.

Still not sure why HAL malfunctioned though.

Anyone else hungry?

I thought the styling of the room was the way the monolith envisaged his room would look, that's why it's slightly unnerving and there's something off about it. When Dave points at the monolith i'm pretty sure that's meant to symbolise the painting of god and Adam in the Sistine Chapel. It's a metaphor for Dave being the first person to populate the planet (the child floating in space) and the monolith being god itself.

It's probably bollocks, but the way I read it, the obelisk transports him through space and time to a point where both no longer conform to our laws and time is no longer a linear, hence why he can see himself aged, and then he's the older version of himself, for a moment seemingly inhabiting both positions. It will happen, so it has happened. I assumed the regency styling of the room was just what was considered fashionable in the future, as the floor is still made of light panels. The baby is his rebirth, now that time and space no longer constrain him, he's transcended to something else.

Anyone else hungry?

That's a lot better than the majority of nonsense i've read previously about the ending, to be fair. 

And this means???

The monolith is the spark for intelligent life.

Anyone else hungry?

HAL malfunctioned because of an intervention by the omnipotent monolith, which is Kubrick's interpretation of Clive Sinclair.

Logan - 8/10. Great premise, looks great, good action scenes & a satisfying way for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine to bow out. And yet I was still a little disappointed. I thought it had 10/10 potential but it left a couple of bits undercooked and the pacing was variable.

Baby Driver. Really good film. Drove over to the Vue cinema in Cheshire oaks for a change of scenery and gotta say, the VIP section pisses all over the odeon's premier seats. The seats were amazing and the sound was incredible.

8/10 Michael Myers masks for the film

10/10 for the pics

Do they actually make any films for grown ups any more? Don't get me wrong some of that animated ones are superb but what happened to spy films,fim noir,great comedies,superb thrillers and crime films? I've just started to avoid English speaking films as they are so samey and unoriginal.

Do they actually make any films for grown ups any more? Don't get me wrong some of that animated ones are superb but what happened to spy films,fim noir,great comedies,superb thrillers and crime films? I've just started to avoid English speaking films as they are so samey and unoriginal.

Seen a trailer last night for a film called Atomic Blonde that looks like it ticks a few of those boxes