You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English language thread

Captain

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that would be a period before the parenthesis, then? (Like this.) Sorted.

Next question; when you use abbreviations, are you required to put a period before a question mk.? (Or a period, exclamation mark etc.?) See, I'm fucked already!

I know the above is a shite example, but bear with me.

Actually no. It depends whether we're talking British English, or American English.

Actually no. It depends whether we're talking British English, or American English.

A-fucking-hem? American english? It's english english. Any other version is incorrect. Just because people take our language and simplify it for their less well developed foreign brains does not make it correct.

Eh? What is that? Spockspeak doesn't count.

What it says on the tin. Common Language Data Repository. It is what decides whether yoiur computer speak British English, Australian English, American English, whether the standard English currency is USD or AUD or GBP. What decimal delimiters are to be used etc. I work with this each day.

What it says on the tin. Common Language Data Repository. It is what decides whether yoiur computer speak British English, Australian English, American English, whether the standard English currency is USD or AUD or GBP. What decimal delimiters are to be used etc. I work with this each day.

pfft. If computers had any balls they'd make everyone speak english english.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there an English word for the Norwegian term morrabrød? Morrabrød basically describes the situation when males wake up in the morning with a boner.

And is, if I may add, directly translated as 'Morningbread'.

Looking forward to the noumerous English versions of the condition.

• 7 months later...
Guest Dog Chaser
Are there no circumstances you can say "I were"?

Beyonce 'If i were a boy'

In the ordinary past tense of the verb to be, was is the first and third person singular: I was late and were is the second person singular and the plural: You were right. It is not acceptable in standard English to use were for the first and third person singular: I were late, and was for the second person singular and the plural: You was right.

In the past subjunctive, however, the situation is more fluid. Historically the past subjunctive of be is were for all persons, singular and plural: I wish she were here; Suppose I were rich; If only they weren't so expensive. It is quite common, though, to use was instead of were for the first and third person singular: I wish she was here; Suppose I was rich. This is perfectly acceptable in colloquial English, but in formal writing it is better to stick to were. Remember that the fixed phrase as it were cannot be changed – never as it was

I was is correct, I were isn't. I think.

That's what I thought aswell, but I heard that latest Beyonce-song on the radio and it got me thinking. "If I were a boy". "If I were a rich man" is another. I'm not saying we should use singers as proof of anything gramatically though.

Beyonce 'If i were a boy'

In the ordinary past tense of the verb to be, was is the first and third person singular: I was late and were is the second person singular and the plural: You were right. It is not acceptable in standard English to use were for the first and third person singular: I were late, and was for the second person singular and the plural: You was right.

In the past subjunctive, however, the situation is more fluid. Historically the past subjunctive of be is were for all persons, singular and plural: I wish she were here; Suppose I were rich; If only they weren't so expensive. It is quite common, though, to use was instead of were for the first and third person singular: I wish she was here; Suppose I was rich. This is perfectly acceptable in colloquial English, but in formal writing it is better to stick to were. Remember that the fixed phrase as it were cannot be changed – never as it was

That's a very good answer, thanks.