You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My understanding (and I'm not a theoretical physicist, so bear with me) is that the universe was originally a perfect vacuum and that all matter was created from the expansion of space after the Big Bang.

Does anyone know for sure how anything happened? Not yet. What an atheist won't do is make up explanations for it. If you want to introduce the concept of God as the originator of the universe, then you need to explain the origins of God.

I think you need to explain the origins of Big Bang since you are introducing this concept as the originator of the universe.

I do believe in a God of sorts, but it certainly isn't a big white beared man sitting on a cloud.

Your sitting their now looking at your monitor, seeing images that have been creating using millions of bits of information that have been stored on tiny microchips. You can speak to anyone in the world through this machine, little bits of information flying at the speed of light backwards and forwards through cables and through the air. It really is a fucking astonishing piece of kit, but it took a lot of intelligent people to create it. And its things like this that make me sure that it took a great deal of itelligence to create us aswell.

Now, I know your going to through 'evolution' into my face on this one, but hear me out. I have no doubt that we have evolved into the forms we take today, but I also believe that evolution has been assisted by an itelligent force that exists throughout nature. Its like your computer, it cant create itself or evolve into a better machine, it takes us to make that happen. The world just seems to much of complex place for me to believe that there is no god.

That sounds very magical!

:D

When the Big Bang was first taught to me (Humanities - age 11/12) my first question was:

"This Cosmic Egg, where did it come from?"

No one has ever answered that one. I will be 39 in a few weeks time.

Indeed Rev, creating matter out of nothing sounds suspiciously like the actions of a 'magical' being.

That sounds very magical!

Only to those of us who explain the things we don't understand with magic.

I think you need to explain the origins of Big Bang since you are introducing this concept as the originator of the universe.

I'm not theorising that the beginning of the universe was a deliberate act caused by an intelligence though. Nobody even knows if anything caused the Big Bang. God however, as a being of presumably infinite understanding with a specific purpose, requires some kind of explanation, since intelligences don't simply appear fully-formed out of thin air.

"This Cosmic Egg, where did it come from?"

No one has ever answered that one. I will be 39 in a few weeks time.

Don't expect it to ever be answered either, given that time as we know it started with the Big Bang. These are quite possibly things beyond our understanding, although there are dozens of theories around, many of them not even involving invisible sky wizards.

Indeed Rev, creating matter out of nothing sounds suspiciously like the actions of a 'magical' being.

I suppose it does, if you don't understand physics. Might I suggest you cure your ignorance with a book or two?

I suppose it does, if you don't understand physics. Might I suggest you cure your ignorance with a book or two?

I don't understand Physics. I never studied and indeed never claimed to do so. I suspect you don't either without searching for it on Google, and then copying & pasting it without fully understanding the concepts involved.

However your response above is clear evidence of your "debating style". You simply can't debate without resorting to pathetic jibes.

You simply can't debate with you without some pathetic jibe. Grow up.

Pointing out a lack of knowledge is not a jibe, nor is it pathetic. In any case, you weren't debating with me, you were snidely agreeing with Graham's snide post about theoretical physics being like magic.

Physics tells us that something can be created from nothing?

Not quite what I said, but never mind. Matter as we know it originated at the Big Bang.

I'm not theorising that the beginning of the universe was a deliberate act caused by an intelligence though. Nobody even knows if anything caused the Big Bang. God however, as a being of presumably infinite understanding with a specific purpose, requires some kind of explanation, since intelligences don't simply appear fully-formed out of thin air.

Where DOES intelligence come from then.