You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa in for Mancini

The Acolyte

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the sensible thing to do is see how Kewell plays up until Christmas. If he isn't good enough ship him out and go for Mancini. If he has a blinder then we won't need him. Maybe this is Rafa's thinking. Sex.

"Once Malouda opted for Chelsea, Benitez chose between Mancini and Babel and finally decided the rich potential of the 20-year-old was more attractive than the Roma winger who, at previous clubs, has shown a tendency to tell his manager what position he’ll be playing rather than the other way around."

echo

Seems legit.

The agent of Roma wideman Mancini claims Liverpool have made contact regarding a move for the Brazilian star.

Gilmar Veloz told Italian radio that Reds boss Rafa Benitez has enquired about the possibility of bringing Mancini to Anfield, but he insists Liverpool must negotiate with Roma first.

Mancini caught the eye during last season's Champions League campaign, scoring a quite sensational goal to see the Italian giants past French champions Lyon.

However, Veloz revealed he is still waiting on a new contract offer from Roma, prompting the 26-year-old to consider his future.

"There has been interest from Liverpool for Mancini," Veloz told Radio Centro Suono Sport.

"I have spoken with Benitez and but I have answered that they must deal with Roma.

"If the Giallorossi find an agreement with the English club, we would need to meet to discuss the player's future.

"I still do not know the offer of Roma."

Liverpool have made their intentions clear in the transfer market this summer, bolstering their attacking options with the captures of Fernando Torres, Yossi Benayoun, Andriy Vorinin and Ryan Babel.

Benitez has always stated his desire to bring in two wide players though, and with Babel the only recognized touchline-hugger in the quartet, the Anfield coffers could be called into action one last time to secure Mancini's services.

http://gb.setanta.com/portal/article/football::england?open&articleid=ab68cd594002b108802573170055c8b6

Don't know how reliable this site is just thought you'd be interested.

Getting the general gist from everyone else, there doesn't appear to be much love for Mancini. Porto's Quaresma seems to be the poster boy but I'm not sure.

Is it me or do we not have much luck with Portuguese teams. maybe we should take a leaf out of Taggarts book!

It sounds to me he's just trying to use our interest to get an improved contract out of Roma.

I reckon his agent is using the fact that Rafa contacted him about Mancini a while back before we snapped up babel, so he can get the new contract at Roma he wants.

Thats exactly how I see it this was before we moved on to Babel, Rafa doesnt have that money available now should he become availabe IMO

We'd also have to sell at least one player or loan somebody out, the squad of 25 is already too big IMO

Selling Kewell now would be madness, with only one year left on his contract we'll only get 2-3 mill for him. In other words we don't have to sell him to finance the Mancini-deal. It seems pretty obvious that we need him as cover if Babel and possibly Mancini need time to settle.

Kewell is fantastic player, and he has finally got himself fit. Give him a chance Roffa.

Kewell would refuse to leave anyway, he's made it clear he has every intention of having his best ever season for Liverpool

he won't be able to do that if he's not picked. if rafa doesn't want him he'll go.

Kewell would stay for sure IMO and fight for his place and then get himself a free transfer next summer.

Kewell has publicly stated he is fighting to win a new contract and basically saying its downhill after Liverpool and he intends to pay Rafa back for all his support.

Its all rather meaningless as Rafa has no intention of selling him anyway

I reckon it would be very frustrating for the fans if Kewell was sold now after he has picked up his massive wage for the last couple of years without playing very much at all. It would make a lot more sense to offer him another contract when this one runs out but offer him less wages with an appearance fee or assist/goal bonus or something so he wont be able to sit on the bench and milk £50 grand a week or whatever he's on.

Its better than paying his fuckin wages while his 99% of the time on the treatment table.

Quaresma or Mancini is a pretty easy thing really. What a lot of people don't realise is that Quaresma isn't a true winger. He goes through the middle or plays off the striker. We're not going to be signing him.

Mancini would be another great signing, be nice if we could box him off and sign a left back or a centre half.

We have heard that before

Its become a joke now.

So its ok to abuse certain LFC players and not players such as Kuyt,

I really hope he has a great injury free season, be very interested to see if he's playing to top form if Rafa sees him as an automatic choice or not

So its ok to abuse certain LFC players and not players such as Kuyt,

I really hope he has a great injury free season, be very interested to see if he's playing to top form if Rafa sees him as an automatic choice or not

Not abuse mate Iam just stating the facts.

Is right. I'd hate to see Kewell go somewhere else now and produce his best.

I've said that a few times now, but after each and every one he's stayed here and either produced nothing like his best, got injured or developed ever-more esoterical medical conditions. This season, I predict a groin strain and beri-beri.

Sunday Mirror are reporting this again. Still smells of the agent pushing for a better deal or a move, but intresting he says we have approached him, no time scale for that approach though.

Sunday Mirror - 15/07/2007

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/07/15/benitez-in-man-hunt-98487-19458386/

RAFA BENITEZ is set to continue his spending spree by making a move for Roma's £15millionrated Brazilian Alessandro Mancini.

The Liverpool boss took his buying through the £50m barrier by bringing in Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun last week.And according to Mancini's agent, the Reds still haven't finished.

Gilmar Veloz said last night: "There has been interest from Liverpool and I have spoken with Benitez. I replied that they must talk with Roma, but if Roma were to sell him I'd have no trouble striking a deal."

Mancini is involved in a money dispute with Roma and is refusing to extend his contract beyond 2009 unless he is offered a major pay rise.