You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Their new album is for the masses. Radio friendly corporate rock, any radio station you turn on and they're on. Even City FM for christ sakes. I've no problem with a favourite band becoming more popular and loads of people jumping on the bandwagon (well yeah I have actually) but they've changed and it stinks of selling out.

Is it not just natural progression?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

superb gig, best live band i have seen. i dont get all the dickheads throwing bottles though. wankers

I was sat to the right in plum fucking seats, and I could see near the end I could see a load of scally's acting like dickheads and you could see the crowd moving away. Fucking arseholes everywhere. Especially when going for a drink, pissed me off the cunts smoking inside, now I smoke myself but have respect for those who don't. And the amount of skunk I could smell was unreal. I also like skunk but there is a time and a place to be smoking that gear, and in the bogs at echo arena is not the place.

I seen a bottle go on stage and luckily the KOL just brushed it off, but Axl in his prime would have jumped right in had a fight with everybody until he was satisfied he had got his revenge.

Some real idiots in this city. Cracking gig though. Well impressed with how they sound live.

Glad they put on a good show. I made a topic about the wankers at the concert the night before and got accused of expecting gentlemen in straight jackets. It seems that these type of dickheads are going to pop up at most concerts at the Echo arena and I will think about going the MEN next time.

A friend of mine made a similar U2 comparison recently, where are you goons borrowing this opinion from?

U2 comment comes from the fact that when they started they were a raw rock and blues outfit who played some great tunes. Listen to that first album and it is brilliant.

As the albums have gone on, they have become, in my opinion, more produced and they seem to be trying to create "anthems" and moved towards U2 style stadium rock tunes rather than Stones style blues based stuff. Thats why I much prefer their earlier work (although I am a big fan of Sex on Fire and Crawl - just dont like most of the new album).

Its nothing to do with not liking them now they've become popular as some said. I still love the band and went to watch them the other night as a fan. I just believe this so-called progression and more mature sound that I keep hearing about from the likes of Zane Lowe, is actually them moving away from the music that I loved towards what at times is fairly dull.

Not in my opinion no and their new album is actually their weakest. They should grow their beards back too.

Agreed, and I actually think the albums have got progressively worse (2nd and 1st are both brilliant but think I actually prefer the first)

Agreed, and I actually think the albums have got progressively worse (2nd and 1st are both brilliant but think I actually prefer the first)

Got to disagree with yourself and Joe there Bert, if you listen to the quality in production, the last album is far superior than the first two,.

Aha Shake Heartbreak, is a cracking album and very raw, but the production is very thin.

Because Of The Times is another cracking album, production is better, and the songs seem to still be in the young man having a grin mode.

Only By The Night is the sound of a more mature band, the production is superb, you can hear how each little section of each instrument is timed to perfection and why they sound the way they do live.

There is no way any band will make the same style of music each album, a good band will progress and be creative, KOL have a formula that is working and they are not straying from that sound too much, however they are refining it as opposed to being stuck in a rut. All good bands do it.

I do also believe they should grow back the beards.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd let you all know before you got carried away, that the Kings of Leon are shite, they aren't unique and are infact manufactured.

They only became famous because they had a song called 'Sex on fire', if they called it 'Love on fire' which would have been better, we wouldn't be subjected to their shite.

Fuck 'em

Just thought I'd let you all know before you got carried away, that the Kings of Leon are shite, they aren't unique and are infact manufactured.

They only became famous because they had a song called 'Sex on fire', if they called it 'Love on fire' which would have been better, we wouldn't be subjected to their shite.

Fuck 'em

I'm not their biggest fan, but you realise they've been around years, right?

Fuck 'em

shipment_of_fail1.jpg

Their first three albums were quality, the latest one is pretty poor.

They're more famous now because it wasn't until they gained more commercial success with their third album, and got to headline festivals and gig in bigger venues, so they built up a bigger fanbase. They have been a great band for years though.

But saying they're manufactured is a load of bollocks.

They're a decent band but their earlier stuff is better,

Unfortunately their latest album seems to have attracted the scally element. Take my mate's bird, for example. She thinks she knows all about modern rock music now she owns the album (yet had never heard of them up until then) and yet proclaims Kanye West as the gretaest musician alive.

The U2 comparisons are very unoriginal. Get your own opinion instead of NME's.

I don't think he was trying to be original, just accurate - and if the NME (heaven forfend) occasionally get it right then so be it.

Just to check I wasn't being too hasty, I listened to some more of their stuff this morning and it left o impact on me whatsoever - not musically, melodically or memorably - like the sound track to a film you'd forgotten you'd even seen as soon as you'd finished watching it.