You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monster.co.uk

Slam Daniels

Anybody posted their CV on there yet? Just done it myself. Would be interesting to see if anybody's had any job offers through them.

Yup just before christmas I signed up.. Got about 5 interviews out of it between Dec and Mid Feb!

Yup just before christmas I signed up.. Got about 5 interviews out of it between Dec and Mid Feb!

That's bloody good going! It would save me having to do the 'layabout slalom' down at the local Jobbie. They say that all the jobs are online, but the latest ones are always on those computers that they have inside.

Anybody posted their CV on there yet? Just done it myself. Would be interesting to see if anybody's had any job offers through them.

I used to work for Monster a few years back. It's worth having your CV on there and also setting up the job search filters, so appropriate jobs get emailed to you. I got quite a few calls from prospective employers, some worthwhile, some pointless. I think that having your CV on there is great for quickly attaching when applying online too.

Good luck...what line of work you looking at?

I would love to get a job in IT - the only trouble is i my qualifications are all 10 years old and i aint got the time or money to redo them to a modern standard.

Scored 95% on a recent CISCO test but the fuckers wanted £3500 for me to do their course.

I would love to get a job in IT - the only trouble is i my qualifications are all 10 years old and i aint got the time or money to redo them to a modern standard.

Scored 95% on a recent CISCO test but the fuckers wanted £3500 for me to do their course.

Why don't you get into contracting mate?

A mate of mine does that and nobody has ever asked him for his qualifications, or contacted his past employers, he gets around 25 quid an hour for most things.

Judging by your photoshop skills mate you should deffo get that sorted!

Only ever got offered one job on Monster and it was a good one, Business analyst, unfortunately it was for a company called Opal which i'd walked out on after four days in a call centre job. Gutted

Why don't you get into contracting mate?

A mate of mine does that and nobody has ever asked him for his qualifications, or contacted his past employers, he gets around 25 quid an hour for most things.

Judging by your photoshop skills mate you should deffo get that sorted!

Only ever got offered one job on Monster and it was a good one, Business analyst, unfortunately it was for a company called Opal which i'd walked out on after four days in a call centre job. Gutted

Never even thought about contracting mate and wouldnt even know how to start.

How does your mate go about getting contracts ?????????? Is he advertised somewhere or is he on a database ?????????????

Cheers for any help you supply mate.

Never even thought about contracting mate and wouldnt even know how to start.

How does your mate go about getting contracts ?????????? Is he advertised somewhere or is he on a database ?????????????

Cheers for any help you supply mate.

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/?DCMP=A_SE_GOT07_Generic_Brand_cw+job_Broad_def&WT.srch=1

CW Jobs is good, you can do a search for contract jobs. They're usually posted by agency's who ring you up panic stricken because they need someone asap. As long as you can get the job done they're happy.

I think he gets most of his jobs through contacts now, once you've done good work for an agency they'll phone you up and meither you all the time.

You can post your CV as well, just put down your skills as the agency's do a skill search, say 'Java' 'Photoshop' 'C#' etc and your CV comes up on a shortlist for them to contact.

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/?DCMP=A_SE_GOT07_Generic_Brand_cw+job_Broad_def&WT.srch=1

CW Jobs is good, you can do a search for contract jobs. They're usually posted by agency's who ring you up panic stricken because they need someone asap. As long as you can get the job done they're happy.

I think he gets most of his jobs through contacts now, once you've done good work for an agency they'll phone you up and meither you all the time.

You can post your CV as well, just put down your skills as the agency's do a skill search, say 'Java' 'Photoshop' 'C#' etc and your CV comes up on a shortlist for them to contact.

Cheers mate - will have a look into that and see if i can get into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Put me CV onto that website and an Agency rang me this morning - i know its agency work but if i can still clear £15+ an hour its worth me looking into it.

From my own experience I posted mine before Xmas and I had lots of recruitment companies calling on the back of it, I found it well worth while.

If you dont mind me asking mate did you actually get a contract and did you have to mess about making yourself a company or just PAYE.

Would love a contract where its design work and im working from home but doubt getting anything like that.

If you dont mind me asking mate did you actually get a contract and did you have to mess about making yourself a company or just PAYE.

Would love a contract where its design work and im working from home but doubt getting anything like that.

If you need any mspaint tips don't hesitate to ask.

To be honest mate it was new ground for me, I had gone from working for a big company to being a self employed financial adviser, the people who were contacting me from Monster were a mixture. Some of the agencies were offering interviews with companies who wanted you to come in as self employed and some were not. I ended up going back to my own company because self employed was far to hard with a nipper to look after, However they did put me in for shit loads of interviews.

Put me CV onto that website and an Agency rang me this morning - i know its agency work but if i can still clear £15+ an hour its worth me looking into it.

Nice one fella! Nah agency work is how it starts, once you get a rep and a portfolio together your laughing.

My mate who has his own business (but also contracts) started from one contact he made, then people saw his work in a publication (a legal brochure for Lees Loyd Whitley solicitors) and he kept getting calls after that.

If he's stuck for work he goes on the web and hunts down contract work and has a portfolio of work to prove he can do what they want (they never ever ask to see it anyway)

15 quid is very good money for design work, he moved into multimedia programming and gets around 20-25. If your into 3DS Max or Maya that would be a real money spinner, another mate designs guitars and they contract 3D designers out at stupid stupid money!

Nice one fella! Nah agency work is how it starts, once you get a rep and a portfolio together your laughing.

My mate who has his own business (but also contracts) started from one contact he made, then people saw his work in a publication (a legal brochure for Lees Loyd Whitley solicitors) and he kept getting calls after that.

If he's stuck for work he goes on the web and hunts down contract work and has a portfolio of work to prove he can do what they want (they never ever ask to see it anyway)

15 quid is very good money for design work, he moved into multimedia programming and gets around 20-25. If your into 3DS Max or Maya that would be a real money spinner, another mate designs guitars and they contract 3D designers out at stupid stupid money!

Cheers mate.

Anything like 3DS Max or Maya is out of my league mate.

Coreldraw and PhotoPaint are my main field of expertise.

At the moment im self employed and can come and go as i please so i can attend a contract and take it from there.

I'm employing at the moment, and am using a few channels to advertise the positions. I got a call from Monster, and they started asking me if I had employed anyone yet, how many I was looking for etc (they had read my non-monster ads). I didn't have the time to chat with the seller so I told her to hurry up and get to the point. She then said they were the biggest blah blah blah etc, and I told her to send me a mail with an offer. She asked me if she could call me back the day after to confirm my interest, and I told her no; I will call you. She called me the next day.*

*I know I know, an extremly boring story, but be honest with me now. Am I a weird twat when I'm turning down their offer on the basis of her calling me back, and on that basis alone (well, and the fact that I'm already advertising in 3 different medias)? I did afterall tell her not to call me, and that I would call her back. I hate it when sales persons are to pushy, that's a reason alone for not buying in my opinion.