You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

Just now, Mook said:

It was me who stated the reported cost of the entire thing over the official mourning period would be around £6 billion of public money. I read it in one of the broadsheets last week.

This would include policing, security, shutting down two capital cities over a period of days, the funeral & an unscheduled bank holiday amongst other things. 

It could well be a bit off but the whole farce is certainly going to cost the country an awful lot of money at a time when it's in short supply for a lot of us.

If it didn't go ahead, that money wasn't going to be given to anybody else. This isn't a 'oh well, seeing as the Queen hasn't died, have all this money'. It's the cost of having a head of state, and one which has been there for 70 years over 32 countries during her reign. 8m for the funeral, the cost of a bank holiday is bit different and it's not really something I'd put in with the cost, but I guess it's associated. I dunno, seems a bit strange to blame the cost of a loss of McDonald's taxable profits for a day is somehow thrown in with the cost of this whole thing. Just instinctively feels off. 

I dunno, I'd like the royal family gone but if you're going to do it then you might as well do it right. 

2 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Not really selling it to me. A circus is still a circus.

I get that lots of people (not necessarily here) are living for this today or even just have a general interest from the point you raise, or even from the perspective of history. But its been ten days of constant, almost unavoidable drivelled in grief at unforeseen levels of saturation, that it can almost drive someone insane. It almost feels like lockdown today and that fucked people up. Regardless of whether she was queen of Slough and Windsor or a good wedge of the planet.

I'm honestly not trying to sell it to you, I've avoided this entire thing really, with the exception of today which I thought I'd watch from a historic perspective. Again, it just instinctively seems like this is a once in 7 decades, and when that shit happens you might as well give it both barrels. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

If it didn't go ahead, that money wasn't going to be given to anybody else. This isn't a 'oh well, seeing as the Queen hasn't died, have all this money'. It's the cost of having a head of state, and one which has been there for 70 years over 32 countries during her reign. 8m for the funeral, the cost of a bank holiday is bit different and it's not really something I'd put in with the cost, but I guess it's associated. I dunno, seems a bit strange to blame the cost of a loss of McDonald's taxable profits for a day is somehow thrown in with the cost of this whole thing. Just instinctively feels off. 

I dunno, I'd like the royal family gone but if you're going to do it then you might as well do it right. 

I'm honestly not trying to sell it to you, I've avoided this entire thing really, with the exception of today which I thought I'd watch from a historic perspective. Again, it just instinctively seems like this is a once in 7 decades, and when that shit happens you might as well give it both barrels. 

Fair dues. I cannot really argue that view.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

And the taxpayer footed the bill for the rebuild/refurb because Betty didn't have it insured.

It was then she started paying tax for the first time after the publics disdain over it.

Yep, i didn't want to remind the Darren Grimes lovefester of that. They blamed Fergie for forgetting to post the insurance renewal form, she was busy sucking an American freinds toe. It's what they do.

4 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

And the taxpayer footed the bill for the rebuild/refurb because Betty didn't have it insured.

It was then she started paying tax for the first time after public disdain over it.

Yep I think so.

I think major came to an agreement with them

They should be paying for this

There is no excuse why not

Ok. I have switched on. Im doing some admin on the computer (which includes arsing around here), so will have it on in the background for a bit.

Charlie looks knackered. Also doesnt look that well to me, but he has done a bit of walking this afternoon too. Regardless of the system he is part of, to have your personal grief played out in front of a nation will take its toll