You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

I've discovered I'm really lazy and can't be arsed to cook. It's a crushing blow as I thought I'd be really good at it.

As I am a bit of a health nut/gym rat... I eat pretty healthy which is great for not being arsed.

Grill a bunch(four or so) of chicken breasts, stick 'em in the fridge, chop up some veg, stick a breast(reheated) and the veg on a plate. Drizzle some olive oil and basalmic on 'em and voila!

A tasty and healthy meal.

edit: Oh right... To make it a bit less healthy but a bit more tasty. Crumble some feta cheese over it. :D

1. Get some huge field mushrooms or smaller portobello ones and place them upside down on a baking tray. Spread butter all over the underside of the cap and then top with a delicious cheese of your choice (blue works very well. Bake in a hot over until melty and delicious and serve with good bread, salad and wine.

Challenge accepted. I shall report back with my findings.

Mission 1.

I decided to have a cheesy mushroom on toast for a snack. Delicious. I had a fairly big field mushroom and used Brie (not a big fan of blue cheese) and was very suprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Mushrooms are one thing I've always disliked and I think it's to do with the way I've been served them. I always think of them as slimy additions to a fry up or on a crap pizza.

I'll be trying the fried with Worcestershire at some point this week too.

I've discovered I'm really lazy and can't be arsed to cook. It's a crushing blow as I thought I'd be really good at it.

I used to be like that (still can be at times) but I decided that if I was going to have to eat food all my life I may aswell get good at cooking it and enjoy it rather than it be a chore.

Mission 1.

I decided to have a cheesy mushroom on toast for a snack. Delicious. I had a fairly big field mushroom and used Brie (not a big fan of blue cheese) and was very suprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Mushrooms are one thing I've always disliked and I think it's to do with the way I've been served them. I always think of them as slimy additions to a fry up or on a crap pizza.

I'll be trying the fried with Worcestershire at some point this week too.

Guess what my next food challenge to you is, Karlos? Seriously, get onto my recipe using dolcelatte above. Mrs Paul hates blue cheese, but loves it in cooking. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Do you think you're in the "haven't re-examined my childhood food dislikes" phase of your culinary life? It seems to be quite strong flavours that you're not into. How about olives - do you like them?

Guess what my next food challenge to you is, Karlos? Seriously, get onto my recipe using dolcelatte above. Mrs Paul hates blue cheese, but loves it in cooking. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Do you think you're in the "haven't re-examined my childhood food dislikes" phase of your culinary life? It seems to be quite strong flavours that you're not into. How about olives - do you like them?

I'm definitely in that stage, I have the same dislikes (peppers, mushrooms, blue cheese) as my mum and as she did the shopping we never had the stuff in so I never ate it and when I did I dislike it.

I couldn't stand tomatoes until about 2 years ago when the missus made me eat some.I don't actually mind olives when cooked or in something, not a big fan of just eating them really.

I can't stand peppers either, again something with a strong flavour.

I'll try the blue cheese next time.

Paul i tried the big mushrooms but with stilton

I now know i cant stomache stilton , does that mean i wont like brie on shrooms also?:dunno:

I do like my cooking.

For a healthy dish I chop up the following and place in an overproof dish:

Peppers

Cherry Tomatoes

Red Onion

Mushrooms

Chicken Breast

Broccolli

Add in some sweetcorn and boiled potatoes then drizzle some Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar over it. Add in some mixed herbs and toss the mix so that it is evenly covered in herbs, Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar.

Put in the over on 200C for 20-25 minutes.

Delicious.

I also love Chicken Breast stuffed with Stilton and wrapped in smoked back bacon with fresh vegetables.

I bought a George Foreman rotisserie when the ex-girlfriend was living with me. Nothing beats chicken out of a rotisserie.

I've also been making this over the past few weeks.

Take some Chicken Breast and cut it into strips, place in a bowl and add three tablespoons of Soya Sauce and two tablespoons of Cornflower. Mix together and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Whilst this is going on boil some water, chop some Spring Onion and get a handful of Cashew Nuts. Once the water has boiled, turn it off and add some Egg Noodles - leave for 5 minutes.

Get your wok and put in three tablespoons of Sunflower Oil and one of Sesame, put on the stove to the maximum temperature.

Once it has heated up, get the Chicken out of the fridge and fry until golden brown, add the chopped Spring Onion and Cashew Nuts and fry for a further 2/3 minutes. Drain the Egg Noodles, place in the wok and mix together. Fry for a further 3/4 minutes.

Serve and garnish with some more Spring Onion.

Delicious.

A dead simple curry stir fry that I do is ace but simple.

Bake/Grill a chicken breast.

Chop up a large red pepper(or whatever colour you like)

Chop up a small onion.

Bottle of Curry Paste.

Put sunflower oil in frying pan or wok, when it gets hot... add the peppers.

Let them cook for about a minute then add the onions and a small spoonful of curry paste.

Let it cook untill the peppers and onions are soft(as desired) then throw in the chopped up chicken breast and another small spoonful of the curry paste.

You want to really mix it up so that the paste is evenly destributed over the stuff. Stir with heat for another two mintues or so then you're done!

Fast. Simple. Tasty.

I made soup for lunch today and it really was simple and ace.

Chuck some pancetta in a pan and add loads of chopped vegetables to fry in the fat that comes off it (I used spring onions, carrots, celery, sweetcorn and green beans). Then chuck in a tin or two of tomatoes, some Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, a squirt of Tommy K (but not too much) and a bit of water. Simmer for about 10 mins and then add small (or broken up) pasta. Keep simmering until the pasta is done and serve. Fucking tasty and the kids walloped it down.

My current favourite.

Put 2 (4 if theres two of you) chicken thighs in a casserole dish, cover with ground black pepper and a knob of butter on each. Next, cut the end off a lemon and squeeze the juice over the chickens before putting a slice on each chicken.

Cook in the oven for about an hour, turning over once, and serve with jacket potato and salad.

I've just read through this thread and there's loads of recipes that would seem to float my boat as they contain a lot of ingredients I like.

The only issue i've got with cooking in general and recipes particularly, is the complex nature of them.

If you were to have all of the ingredients available at any one time it would cost you a fucking fortune!

For instance, i'll look at a recipe and think it's definitely worth a go, but at closer inspection there's too many random ingredients to take into account. It's not just pepper you need, it's cayenne pepper! It's not just oil, it's olive oil! It's not just balsamic vinger, it's red wine vinegar and so on....

I just can't afford to constantly have these ingredients in the flat and I don't like planning ahead too much.

That's where the problems come from for me. I tell you what would be a great thread for me, just a general 'sauce' thread, i.e. pasta sauce, curry sauce, casserole etc.

If I could master the sauces i'd be able to add my own ingredients and experiment etc.

I've just read through this thread and there's loads of recipes that would seem to float my boat as they contain a lot of ingredients I like.

The only issue i've got with cooking in general and recipes particularly, is the complex nature of them.

If you were to have all of the ingredients available at any one time it would cost you a fucking fortune!

For instance, i'll look at a recipe and think it's definitely worth a go, but at closer inspection there's too many random ingredients to take into account. It's not just pepper you need, it's cayenne pepper! It's not just oil, it's olive oil! It's not just balsamic vinger, it's red wine vinegar and so on....

I just can't afford to constantly have these ingredients in the flat and I don't like planning ahead too much.

That's where the problems come from for me. I tell you what would be a great thread for me, just a general 'sauce' thread, i.e. pasta sauce, curry sauce, casserole etc.

If I could master the sauces i'd be able to add my own ingredients and experiment etc.

Bollocks to all that rubbish.

There are things that you should ALWAYS have on hand. Spices(I tend to always keep: Cumin, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Cayenne Pepepr, crushed chili pepper, crushed chipotle, coriander, and cardamon), Red wine vinegar, basalmic vinegar, olive oil, sunflower oil, and seasoning(salt and black pepper).

These should ALWAYS be available in your home. They don't spoil and they have infinite uses.

Bollocks to all that rubbish.

There are things that you should ALWAYS have on hand. Spices(I tend to always keep: Cumin, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Cayenne Pepepr, crushed chili pepper, crushed chipotle, coriander, and cardamon), Red wine vinegar, basalmic vinegar, olive oil, sunflower oil, and seasoning(salt and black pepper).

These should ALWAYS be available in your home. They don't spoil and they have infinite uses.

It's more a case of the fresh herbs that i'm getting at. The fresh stuff is so much better than the dried variety but it doesn't keep very well.

That's mainly what I was talking about, although the balsamic and red wine vinegar I don't usually have.

I had some pasta before using the tips from this thread: Chopped tomatoes, bit of olive oil, ketchup and some Worcestershire sauce.

Added some peas to the pasta when boiling it and also grilled some Irish sausages.

It was pretty damn lovely TBH. I've got some left over and that will be wellied later when i'm watching the Cowboys...

It's more a case of the fresh herbs that i'm getting at. The fresh stuff is so much better than the dried variety but it doesn't keep very well.

That's mainly what I was talking about, although the balsamic and red wine vinegar I don't usually have.

I had some pasta before using the tips from this thread: Chopped tomatoes, bit of olive oil, ketchup and some Worcestershire sauce.

Added some peas to the pasta when boiling it and also grilled some Irish sausages.

It was pretty damn lovely TBH. I've got some left over and that will be wellied later when i'm watching the Cowboys...

Grow it lad. I know you haven't got a garden but you can get plants and keep them in the kitchen.

Grow it lad. I know you haven't got a garden but you can get plants and keep them in the kitchen.

Good tip, that. Buy the pots from the supermarket and they keep really well, giving you loads of fresh herbs.

On the other stuff Ian, you can build up your store cupboard over time. Buy the stuff for one recipe and then you've got it for the next time. Oils, vinegars and sauces keep for years.

Right, i've taken this advice into consideration and today with the normal food shopping i've purchased a few different condiments.

I've got Cayenne Pepper, Red Wine Vinegar, Balsamic Vinegar and Italian Mixed Herbs.

Any recipes where I could use this new stuff would be super.

• 4 weeks later...
Distinct lack of puds on here, so:

Throw some cherries in a frying pan with some sugar, water and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Cook until the liquid turns into a syrup then serve with some Greek yoghurt.

Alternatively, take one fifty pence piece (new pence).

Go to Sainsbury's.

Purchase cherry yoghurt.

Deneeeer!!

• 1 month later...

Last night I made burgers with some minced lamb, Worcestershire sauce, mint and onion. I fried them for a couple of minutes each side then threw in some bacon and put the pan in a pre-heated oven for about 8 minutes. Then turned the oven off, put some cheese on the burgers and spinach in the pan and put it back in for 2 minutes before piling it all into a couple of buns with some relish.

Tonight I'm going with tofu and vegetable stir-fry. First time cooking tofu, I'll report back later.