You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

I'm not suggesting I couldn't follow the straightforward recipes on here, but it's hardly what I would call simple food. Simple food to me is egg and chips.

Ah, I'm with you. I suppose I interpreted simple as meaning quick and easy, rather than plain/ordinary/reliable/no frills. For example, egg and chips takes at least twice as long to make as half the things on this thread.

Ah, I'm with you. I suppose I interpreted simple as meaning quick and easy, rather than plain/ordinary/reliable/no frills. For example, egg and chips takes at least twice as long to make as half the things on this thread.

Fair enough.

My favourite of the moment is chicken cacciatora (I think), nicked from a Jamie Oliver book...

Get a big fuck off casserole dish, and tip in:

half a dozen chicken thighs

3 cloves of crushed garlic

4 bay leaves

2 sprigs of rosemary

4 anchovie fillets

a couple of handfuls of pitted black olives

half a bottle of red wine (a decent merlot being my choice)

a couple of tins of decent quality chopped tomatoes.

200 degree oven for 1 hour. Serve with rice.

Yummy.

Muffins as in the bread versions, sliced in half and smothered in a tomato sauce and cheese on top make ace mini pizzas. You can also add toppings if you can be arsed. Good for the kids too

There is nothing simple about most of the dishes described on this thread. It reads like a foodie wank-off.

Eh?

The missus' mum did this the other week as a side dish to roast chicken, it was the business:

Put some sliced aubergine (I guess you could use potato) in the bottom of a shallow roasting dish, then a layer of (tasty homegrown) tomatoes then top with some creme fraiche and season with whatever you fancy (I think she used basil, season-all (?) and obviously salt and pepper). Stick in the oven for an hour, eat, enjoy.

The missus' mum did this the other week as a side dish to roast chicken, it was the business:

Put some sliced aubergine (I guess you could use potato) in the bottom of a shallow roasting dish, then a layer of (tasty homegrown) tomatoes then top with some creme fraiche and season with whatever you fancy (I think she used basil, season-all (?) and obviously salt and pepper). Stick in the oven for an hour, eat, enjoy.

I've got a love/hate relationship with aubergine. When done right, it's delicious. However, it can also be hard and inedible. It needs plenty of salting and draining first, which I can rarely be arsed with.

• 3 weeks later...

AUBERGINE AND TOFU SATAY

Vegan - Serves 4

For the green curry paste*:

1 shallot, finely chopped

1 stalk lemon grass, chopped

2 small red chillies, chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated

1 lime zest only

15g/1tbsp fresh coriander leaves and stalks, chopped

For the skewers:

1 packet firm, regular tofu, drained and pressed

1 aubergine

30ml/2tbsp groundnut oil

12 short wooden skewers

For the satay sauce*:

30ml/2tbsp groundnut oil

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 large red chillies, deseeded and chopped

5ml/1tsp ground cumin

5ml/1tsp ground coriander

75g/3 oz crunchy peanut butter

200g/7 fl oz coconut milk

1 lime, juice only

to taste salt

1. To make the green curry paste: grind all the ingredients together in a pestle and mortar until you have a paste. Store in the refrigerator in a screw top jar for up to 2 weeks.

2. For the skewers: Mix 45ml/3tbsp green curry paste together with 15ml/1tbsp groundnut oil. Cut the tofu and aubergine into 1.25cm/1/2 inch cubes and thread onto 12 short wooden skewers. Lay flat on a plate and pour over the paste mixture to coat well, rubbing the aubergine and tofu all over. Leave for 30 minutes minimum (or overnight), covered in the fridge to marinade.

3. Brush the vegetables with a the remaining oil and grill under a medium heat until golden.

4. Make the satay sauce: Heat the oil in a small saucepan and fry the shallot, garlic, chillies and spices for about 5 minutes until tender. Mix the peanut butter with a little warm water to make a thinner paste and add to the pan, together with the coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the sauce thickens. Season with lime juice and salt to taste. Divide between 4 small bowls.

5. Serve the skewers on individual plates with a small bowl of satay sauce.

* If preferred you can buy ready made Thai Green Curry Paste and Satay Sauce.

Do check that the ingredients are suitable however, as many brands of paste contain fish sauce.

AUBERGINE AND TOFU SATAY

Vegan - Serves 4

For the green curry paste*:

1 stalk lemon grass, chopped

2 small red chillies, chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated

1 lime zest only

15g/1tbsp fresh coriander leaves and stalks, chopped

For the skewers:

1 packet firm, regular tofu, drained and pressed

1 aubergine

30ml/2tbsp groundnut oil

12 short wooden skewers

For the satay sauce*:

30ml/2tbsp groundnut oil

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 large red chillies, deseeded and chopped

5ml/1tsp ground cumin

5ml/1tsp ground coriander

75g/3 oz crunchy peanut butter

200g/7 fl oz coconut milk

1 lime, juice only

to taste salt

1. To make the green curry paste: grind all the ingredients together in a pestle and mortar until you have a paste. Store in the refrigerator in a screw top jar for up to 2 weeks.

2. For the skewers: Mix 45ml/3tbsp green curry paste together with 15ml/1tbsp groundnut oil. Cut the tofu and aubergine into 1.25cm/1/2 inch cubes and thread onto 12 short wooden skewers. Lay flat on a plate and pour over the paste mixture to coat well, rubbing the aubergine and tofu all over. Leave for 30 minutes minimum (or overnight), covered in the fridge to marinade.

3. Brush the vegetables with a the remaining oil and grill under a medium heat until golden.

4. Make the satay sauce: Heat the oil in a small saucepan and fry the shallot, garlic, chillies and spices for about 5 minutes until tender. Mix the peanut butter with a little warm water to make a thinner paste and add to the pan, together with the coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the sauce thickens. Season with lime juice and salt to taste. Divide between 4 small bowls.

5. Serve the skewers on individual plates with a small bowl of satay sauce.

* If preferred you can buy ready made Thai Green Curry Paste and Satay Sauce.

Do check that the ingredients are suitable however, as many brands of paste contain fish sauce.

You lost me at Tofu.

Pumpkin Scones

Half a cup of sugar

Tablespoon of Butter

Pinch (not a punch) of salt

1 Egg

A cup of mashed pumpkin

2 and a half cups self raising flour

Squash butter into suger, add egg, mix, add salt, then flour, then pumpkin. Roll out doughey mixture and cut cirles out. Stick in fucking hot oven while you go for a nice shit. By the time you are done, so are they. Tasty and pretty easy really.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Tin of chooped toms in a pan with 1 tin of water over a medium heat. Add about 100g of chopped chorizo, the same of shredded savoy cabbage, a tin of chickpeas and a few chilli flakes. Season to taste. 10 minutes - done. Mega.