You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

COnfession time. I picked up 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.' My wife bought it and read it and then passed it to me. I read the first chapter then didn't read any more. She asked me whether or not it gripped me and I had to be honest and say 'no'. I found it to be formulaic claptrap and not especially well written. This, of course, made me sound a bit snobbish, so we exchanged words. The irony is that she is much better read than I and is well able to appreciate good writing. Still, I've made my stand. I'm not reading it.

I suppose I've just answered the question "What are you currently not reading?"

Not a bad review, though. Well, it is a bad review, like, but you know what I mean.

1983 - David Peace. The final book in the Red Riding Hood quartet, it's like James Ellroy writing about Yorkshire when the Ripper was on the rampage.

That said, he's not a patch on James Ellroy, and he seems overreliant on gratuitous nastiness in a lot of places.

Heading on holidays next week, and looking forward to reading

A Prayer for Owen Meany and a few more.

Any ideas on some telephone book sized tomes worth ploughing through?

Sometimes a Great Notion! Just don't expect Waterstones to have it in stock, because of their policy that most authors get their best-selling titles only.

Just used this and the other thread to put in a summer reading order to Amazon. I'm going for this little lot:

The Dark Tower: Gunslinger - Stephen King

The Long Firm - Jake Arnott

Hombre - Elmore Leonard

The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell

Speaker for the Dead - Orson Scott Card

The Power of the Dog - Don Winslow

So, the verdict's in:

The Dark Tower: Gunslinger was a struggle. I fully accept aws' point about it being the weakest (and King says as much in his introduction), but I'm umming and ahhing over whether I can be arsed buying the second one.

The Long Firm is fucking brilliant. Very readable and pacey, with highly believable characters and plenty of grittiness in what seems to be a very realistic evocation of 60s London. I've ordered the sequel.

Hombre was a bit of a disappointment, really. I did enjoy it, but after reading so many positives opinions about it, both on here and on Amazon, I just felt it was a bit thin. Plot, character and pace were all fine, but none was genuinely gripping.

The Winter King was very good and I've since ordered the other two in the trilogy. It made the Arthur stories seem highly plausible and was a cracking read.

Speaker for the Dead was ace. The first one was really good, but this was brilliant - and such a different novel, too. I've never read a science fiction novel like it, to be honest. The SF was almost incidental to the story. I've ordered the next one now.

The Power of the Dog was a real find. Don Winslow was a name I'd not heard before, but I'll be rattling through his stuff now. Quite Ellroy-esque, but with a less terse prose style and characters who are more morally ambiguous as opposed to Ellroy's morally ambivalent ones. It deals with America's war on drugs from the 60s through to the 90s, following five or six very different characters. Great crime fiction.

Overall, I was very pleased with my order and finished them all quickly - which is a good sign. Can't wait for the next lot to arrive now.

So, the verdict's in:

The Dark Tower: Gunslinger was a struggle. I fully accept aws' point about it being the weakest (and King says as much in his introduction), but I'm umming and ahhing over whether I can be arsed buying the second one.

The Long Firm is fucking brilliant. Very readable and pacey, with highly believable characters and plenty of grittiness in what seems to be a very realistic evocation of 60s London. I've ordered the sequel.

Hombre was a bit of a disappointment, really. I did enjoy it, but after reading so many positives opinions about it, both on here and on Amazon, I just felt it was a bit thin. Plot, character and pace were all fine, but none was genuinely gripping.

The Winter King was very good and I've since ordered the other two in the trilogy. It made the Arthur stories seem highly plausible and was a cracking read.

Speaker for the Dead was ace. The first one was really good, but this was brilliant - and such a different novel, too. I've never read a science fiction novel like it, to be honest. The SF was almost incidental to the story. I've ordered the next one now.

The Power of the Dog was a real find. Don Winslow was a name I'd not heard before, but I'll be rattling through his stuff now. Quite Ellroy-esque, but with a less terse prose style and characters who are more morally ambiguous as opposed to Ellroy's morally ambivalent ones. It deals with America's war on drugs from the 60s through to the 90s, following five or six very different characters. Great crime fiction.

Overall, I was very pleased with my order and finished them all quickly - which is a good sign. Can't wait for the next lot to arrive now.

Stick with the Dark Tower. If you're not hooked after the second one give it up then. Each book is better than the last one (except for 4 maybe) as King adds depth and characterisation. Gunslinger is just an early intro.

Just finished Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom.

The cover blurb compares it to Birdsong, which is why I bought it.

Suckered again!

It’s about 3 ex-public schoolboys in Spain shortly after the civil war.

One is a commie, one a spiv and the other a spy.

The characters are clichéd reflections of the id, ego and super-ego with disappointingly described active sex-lives.

It’s a decent page-turner but, in common with so many modern novels, the ending is poor.

In this case, bloody naff.

It’s an ok read but not one I would highly recommend.

Paul - there are some well written westerns around, but they aren't always easy to find. In fact, Bernard Cornwell has written a series based on the American Civil War. I think the first one is called 'Rebel' and there are three more. They're pretty good. Also Larry McMurtry has written some great westerns. Not so keen on Lonesome Dove, but Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon are very good. I absolutely loved St Agne's Stand and the Last Ride by Thomas Eidson. There's also quite a good series 'The Plainsman Series' by Terry C.Johnston. You've probably gathered, I read quite a few westerns....

Paul - all the Harry Starks novels are fucking awesome. It actually gets even better after The Long Firm.

It was your straight-to-the-point initial recommendation that sold me on The Long Firm, Christian.

Paul - there are some well written westerns around, but they aren't always easy to find. In fact, Bernard Cornwell has written a series based on the American Civil War. I think the first one is called 'Rebel' and there are three more. They're pretty good. Also Larry McMurtry has written some great westerns. Not so keen on Lonesome Dove, but Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon are very good. I absolutely loved St Agne's Stand and the Last Ride by Thomas Eidson. There's also quite a good series 'The Plainsman Series' by Terry C.Johnston. You've probably gathered, I read quite a few westerns....

Cheers. I've started to realise that I'm a bit of a genre fan. Mainly crime and the less nerdy SF, but also now getting into some historical stuff and westerns, too.

Ace. I really liked Streets of Laredo, as well. Have you read Fraser's Flashman and the Redskins? In fact, the whole Flashman series are well worth a look - a really good spin on the Victorian gentleman adventurer.

Hombre is a trashy novel - you don't really read westerns for the literary credentials (although Thomas Berger's Little Big Man is quite outstanding).

I don't read anything forits literary credentials, to be honest mate. I just want to be gripped. My critique of it was an attempt tro explain why I wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I did like it, but I just didn't see it as the five star read that nearly 50 Amazon reviewers did.

Cheers. I've started to realise that I'm a bit of a genre fan. Mainly crime and the less nerdy SF, but also now getting into some historical stuff and westerns, too.

Try Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser. There's about thirteen of them and not a bad'un amongst the lot.

Im reading the Game by Neil Strauss - bought it as a tonic to splitting with the missus

Its very good - quite cheesy like but still a good laugh and one id recommend to the people who may well have split up with their better halves lately.

Dont be an AFC!