You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Names for Hurricanes

clare

the names change letter and sex each time. Whenever a hurricane is formed it is given a name. As hurricanes form over sea, often they do not ever make it to land before they are disrupted and break up, therefore algthough they have been named officially, we will not have heard about it.

you might notice, as i just have that if they changed sex each time, it should be a male beginning with R, but i imagine that 'O' is ignored as both 'I' and 'O' are not usually used in science as references, due to the possibility of confusion with numbers 1 and 0. This however is a guess.

The Q, has been left out, as is U, X, Y and Z. Below is the full 6 year list that tropical storms/hurricanes are named from:

Arthur

Bertha

Cristobal

Dolly

Edouard

Fay

Gustav

Hanna

Isidore

Josephine

Kyle

Lili

Marco

Nana

Omar

Paloma

Rene

Sally

Teddy

Vicky

Wilfred Ana

Bill

Claudette

Danny

Erika

Fabian

Grace

Henri

Isabel

Juan

Kate

Larry

Mindy

Nicholas

Odette

Peter

Rose

Sam

Teresa

Victor

Wanda Alex

Bonnie

Charley

Danielle

Earl

Frances

Gaston

Hermine

Ivan

Jeanne

Karl

Lisa

Matthew

Nicole

Otto

Paula

Richard

Shary

Tomas

Virginie

Walter Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Dennis

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katrina

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rita

Stan

Tammy

Vince

Wilma Alberto

Beryl

Chris

Debby

Ernesto

Florence

Gordon

Helene

Isaac

Joyce

Kirk

Leslie

Michael

Nadine

Oscar

Patty

Rafael

Sandy

Tony

Valerie

William Andrea

Barry

Chantal

Dean

Erin

Felix

Gabrielle

Humberto

Ingrid

Jerry

Karen

Lorenzo

Melissa

Noel

Olga

Pablo

Rebekah

Sebastien

Tanya

Van

Wendy

Are they neamed after women because they go from calm to angry in no time at all, constantly change direction to confuse you, and smash things up?

something like that , plus the fact that all you get is one good blow job ,then they fuck off with yer house

Best thing is that it isn't my answer, I asked a mate of mine who monitors storms for the MET office a similar question to that at the start of the thread about a week ago and he emailed me an answer, I borrowed from it for the above answer, only included the full list as I thought that some of the names were unusual, and I was amazed at the length of the list, ie how well prepared they were.

I found out that before 1978 hurricanes were given only women's names but some women complained that that was sexist so now they alternate. Also that:

"Six lists are now used in rotation, and are maintained by the World Meteorological Organization. The list changes only when a storm is so deadly that it is deemed inappropriate for the name to be used again. Any country affected by such a storm can ask that the storm name be retired. For example, this year's list of names was first used in 1986, though in that year the first storm was Andrew. After Hurricane Andrew devastated South Florida in 1992, it was retired."

http://sptimes.com/2004/06/06/Hurricaneguide2004/Hurricanes_moved_from.shtml

who decides?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Has all you need to know.

But each season they start from a and go through the alphabet. Hurricanes themselves dont get named, but the tropical depression, the first signs of a weather front gets named, then that depression may or may not become upgraded to a tropical storm and after that to a hurricane, of which there are 5 categories.

Anyway, a right riveting read ! O_o