You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gav (The man who can look Crouch in the eye)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness,I've watched kerrs youth teams for years , an the likes of O'shea,duff,reid,partridge,and loads more , have only made it this far with the expertise kerr has ,and in fairness his record at that level as second to none,jesus we won the biggest tournament in europe

But at this level.........I want him gone.I'd take Aldo (who really wanted it badly ) over kerr at this stage

I agree, and if Kerr's rein comes to an end he should be re-offered that position, my concern at the time of appointment was his lack of top flight experience, I also thought that we had a real opportunity to push on as a host of top managerial names actually wanted the job, but the FAI would rather spend its money on executive salaries and junkets than on a really good manager, or indeed an actual football stadium.

Gav, why the are Isreal even playing Ireland? When did they join the European Continent? After their governments antics it is no suprise that the national team gets abuse - although I agree football fans are not to blame for it.

Rash...stay out of something you clearly have zero comprehension about.

Israel is made up of millions of ex-European immigrants. My parents are Russian, I was born in Israel, and thus consider myself part of the European continent.

I even have free liberty to visit any European country without needing a visa using my Israeli passport.

Either way, stay out of it. It's not your fight.

Rash...stay out of something you clearly have zero comprehension about.

Israel is made up of millions of ex-European immigrants. My parents are Russian, I was born in Israel, and thus consider myself part of the European continent.

I even have free liberty to visit any European country without needing a visa using my Israeli passport.

Either way, stay out of it. It's not your fight.

Shall we let the USA in too and Australia too because they are made up of millions of ex-Europeans?

Your arguments is pathetic, and blinded by your Jewish faith. Israel is not and never was part of Europe. This has nothing to do with your own backround either. Israel cannot claim to on the one hand claim to be European then on the other claim someone else's land as their own.

Anyway sorry Gav.

Shall we let the USA in too and Australia too because they are made up of millions of ex-Europeans?

Your arguments is pathetic, and blinded by your Jewish faith. Israel is not and never was part of Europe. This has nothing to do with your own backround either. Israel cannot claim to on the one hand claim to be European then on the other claim someone else's land as their own.

Anyway sorry Gav.

Lets agree to disagree. I regard u as a mate so wont get into any political discussions with you because you are on the complete opposite fence.

:dunno:

Without wanting to ignite trouble, but to be honest I can't see the point of starting a new thread on it now that it has been mentioned here, what is so wrong with carrying a PLO flag?

If people have strong opinions on israel then I don't see the issue with voicing them whilst over there, as long as it's not involving violence. For an occupied people to get so little backing from the globe in general is far more distasteful to me than going over there and voicing your support for the palestinians.

Lets agree to disagree. I regard u as a mate so wont get into any political discussions with you because you are on the complete opposite fence.

:dunno:

And our friendship will never suffer because of it mate. We just have different views of it.

Without wanting to ignite trouble, but to be honest I can't see the point of starting a new thread on it now that it has been mentioned here, what is so wrong with carrying a PLO flag?

If people have strong opinions on israel then I don't see the issue with voicing them whilst over there, as long as it's not involving violence. For an occupied people to get so little backing from the globe in general is far more distasteful to me than going over there and voicing your support for the palestinians.

Politics and football (and other sporting events) should never mix.

The Armenian Holocaust has never been fully recognized by the world. Should we wave Armenian flags when Turkey plays England? The Americans virtually wiped out the Red Man and still today occupy his land. Same with the Australian Aborigine.

Now, if I remember my colonial history correctly, it was the Balfour Declaration that set in motion the Israeli independant state. Was it not the British who originally sold out Palestine? Maybe the Irish are just pointing this out vicariously through the Palestinian conflict, as Home Rule happened during this period. Thank God Gandhi decided he wanted Indian salt and not blood. Of course, Kashmir lives on as another colonial legacy.

Is not Iraq an occupied country now? Occupied by British troops.

The Falklands?

To go to a football match involving Israel and voice support for the Palestine is wrong. Do we want to turn every footie match into political rallies? It'll be just like the Old Firm games, with union jacks and Irish tricolour.

Once again, Israel is not a part of Europe. They play in UEFA because it would be impossible for them to play in the MIddle East. Most Arab states do not recognize Israel as a state. In WC qualifiers they would just default because they would refuse to play them, as has happened in other competitions involving Israeli-Arab atheletes. Moreover, Israel is sensitive to sporting events being used for terrorist gain, as exemplified by Munich Olympics.

During the first 20 years of it's existence, surrounding Arab states tried to eliminate Israel through force. What Israel is now doing, building walls, occupying land and denying water rights, is of course wrong and should be criticized. From Oslo to Camp David the world has tried tp find a solution. I'm quite sure part of the solution does not involve waving Palestine flags at WC qualifiers.

I blame the French and the Treaty of Versailles and their demands to bring Germany to her knees economically. That and the Dardanelles. If only Admiral de Robeck had sailed further, the TUrkish guns were out of ammuinition, Constantinople was in panic, but he turned and fled at the first sign of trouble. Years later, after the war when he sailed through the Dardanelles he wept at how close he was and how many lives were lost because of his pussilanimility.

Gav,

Excellent reply mate. Thanks for that. Difficult to get a feeling for the sentiment from over here, but I think that could soon be a universal view. The phrase "finding one's level" comes to mind for Kerr. Shame to miss out on Germany because of one man's shackling principles. Thing is, even if we do, he won't go!

All fair comment NP.

I don't think for a second the world is trying to solve the problem, least of all the Americans. They seem to think that chasing terrorists all ove the planet is more important than dealing with a major cause of the problems - Palestine.

If going to a WC Qualifier and waving a Palestinian flag gets publicity and brings the issue to the eyes of a public who mostly don't care and would rather all these "liberal types" shut up about the issue, then how can it be a bad thing? If israeli's are angered by this then they should sort thier shit out and put pressure on thier own government to look for a solution and take the moral high ground in the affair.

The Iraq situation is a disgrace, don't for a second think i'm backing our forces over there.

We cannot influence the past NP, only the present. If you see a wrong then add your voice, it is surely the least you can do? Just be careful voiving them over in Palestine, free speech is met with tanks and guns.

Gav,

Excellent reply mate. Thanks for that. Difficult to get a feeling for the sentiment from over here, but I think that could soon be a universal view. The phrase "finding one's level" comes to mind for Kerr. Shame to miss out on Germany because of one man's shackling principles. Thing is, even if we do, he won't go!

Just saw the incident between O'Brien and the GK. Absolutely shocking- he looked like he'd been shot in the face Tom Ross style. AND the GK punched O'Brien in the chest!!

btw, Kerr during the interview was wearing a tie from the 70's. He looked like a football manger from the 70s and was well pissed off about the incident, didn't hold back. FIFA are letting the card stand, but that was a disgrace and they should at least ahve the balls to discipline the Israeli GK. What he did was even worse than Rivaldo against the Turks.

Stu, good points as well. The past cannot be undone, but I think the nations that have been imperialist (and this inlcudes Japan, America as well as the traditional colonial powers from Europe) should recognize their role in history and make amends by actively encouraging peaceful solutions achieved through economic development and increases in the standard of livng. No one with a decent roof and a full belly is going to blow themselves up or bomb targets.

Funny how the Americans are chasing terrorists all over the world, but turn a blind eye to the goings on in Uzbekistan (pipeline, logistics base for Afgan war). Funny how it took the McCArtney murder to snub Adams and company from the annnual St PAtrick's Day White House party. The Americans had no problem supporting Pinochet and his lovely 'democracy'. Same thing will happen in Venezuela soon, as the fella there is mates with Fidel and is actually, horror of horrors, using the oil money to help the poor (Chavez I think).

Just saw the incident between O'Brien and the GK. Absolutely shocking- he looked like he'd been shot in the face Tom Ross style. AND the GK punched O'Brien in the chest!!

btw, Kerr during the interview was wearing a tie from the 70's. He looked like a football manger from the 70s and was well pissed off about the incident, didn't hold back. FIFA are letting the card stand, but that was a disgrace and they should at least ahve the balls to discipline the Israeli GK. What he did was even worse than Rivaldo against the Turks.

Stu, good points as well. The past cannot be undone, but I think the nations that have been imperialist (and this inlcudes Japan, America as well as the traditional colonial powers from Europe) should recognize their role in history and make amends by actively encouraging peaceful solutions achieved through economic development and increases in the standard of livng. No one with a decent roof and a full belly is going to blow themselves up or bomb targets.

Funny how the Americans are chasing terrorists all over the world, but turn a blind eye to the goings on in Uzbekistan (pipeline, logistics base for Afgan war). Funny how it took the McCArtney murder to snub Adams and company from the annnual St PAtrick's Day White House party. The Americans had no problem supporting Pinochet and his lovely 'democracy'. Same thing will happen in Venezuela soon, as the fella there is mates with Fidel and is actually, horror of horrors, using the oil money to help the poor (Chavez I think).

In "The best democracy money can buy" by Greg Palast he says to keep an eye out for that Venezuelan guy because he is keeping national borders tough for multinationals to cross, keeping industries nationalised and they don't like it. I feel a terrorist threat coming on.

In "The best democracy money can buy" by Greg Palast he says to keep an eye out for that Venezuelan guy because he is keeping national borders tough for multinationals to cross, keeping industries nationalised and they don't like it. I feel a terrorist threat coming on.

No doubt. He'll be linked with leftist Columbian rebels who traffic cocaine...and presto...cue regime change. If you can't lik them witrh al-Qeda link them with drugs that will corrupt the soccer moms little darlings. Cue panic, more gated communities to keep out the Tony Montana's that will np doubt be taking over and an increase in Hummer sales.

I give the Yanks another five years at trying to run the world as the only superpower before it all goes bad because they;ve stretched themselves to thin and they run out of poor white trailer trash and minorities to send off to foreign lands to fight for Halliburton. Too much on their plate.

Stu ,as a staunch anti racist (on here ) ,would you not accept that a bunch of dumb paddies singin "where's yer foreskin gone" is racist ???

or Singin 6 million to nil ??? or singin Hitler had the right idea???

And wheres the sense in Irish people weraring a celtic shirt,and what that represents,and bearing in mind our own terrorism factions ,holding PLO flags and screaming abuse at these people based on waht their governement has done ....it kinda smacks of double standards

I mean we played russia 2 years ago ,none of these morons had a chechnian flag

same when we played Nigeria or Croatia, when we played canada there was none of these fools holding anti seal clubbing badges ;)

Theres a scummie element breaking out of society and in to football that was never there before.This was the best way they could think of to trry and abuse opposition flags.none of this was political, these people aren't intelligent enough to understand why they were holding up flags ,they just did it after reading some dumb article,or cos a few palestinians were handing out free cardboard flags

Thing is tho ,football isn't a place for this shit.And Another thing, we could be in serious trouble if Irish tv had scanned the crowd and focused on the hand signals being made

So ashamed of these people,so ashamed

Israeli keeper, accused of foul play, attacked by fan

Gerry McDermott and Ben Quinn

06 June 2005

Israeli goalkeeper Dudu Awate was attacked in the team's hotel after Saturday night's World Cup qualifier in Lansdowne Road.

A man poured the contents of an ice-bucket over the back of the 27-year-old-goalkeeper as he walked through the lobby of Dublin's Burlington Hotel.

The incident followed a controversial 2-2 draw which angered Irish fans who claimed that the goalkeeper's overacting resulted in defender Andy O'Brien being sent off.

Israel security staff intervened after the player was attacked and it is claimed that punches were thrown in the ensuing melee.

"It was a lunatic who doesn't have anything to do with his life but attack me," journalists were later told by Awate.

It is believed that an Israeli TV crew may even have captured the attack on camera.

A contingent of gardai stationed at the hotel over the weekend as part the security operation are thought to have spoken about the incident with Awate andIsraeli officials.

However, a Garda spokesperson said that there was no record or a complaint being lodged, while a spokesperson for the hotel was also unaware of any complaints.

During the match, which saw Israel come back from two goals down, Awate was both the hero and villain.

He produced a string of saves to prevent Ireland scoring the winning goal but was booked for time-wasting and was involved in the controversial sending off, which the FAI are to appeal.

Television replays showed Awate throwing a punch at O'Brien and then feigning injury when O'Brien turned around to see who had struck him. But Awate, who was booed off the pitch at the end, claimed he was more sinned against than sinner.

"I don't know what the Irish are complaining about. I was the victim. I was punched all through the game," he said.

The President of the Israeli Football Association, Itzhak Menahem, said that they would not be filing an official complaint with soccer's world governing body FIFA. "The Irish people have treated us very well and this was only one supporter," he said.

Meanwhile, political tensions also led to scuffles on Saturday between Israeli fans and some participants in a pro-Palestinian march in Dublin city centre. There was a heavy Garda presence around Lansdowne Road in the run-up to the game

Stu ,as a staunch anti racist (on here ) ,would you not accept that a bunch of dumb paddies singin "where's yer foreskin gone" is racist ???

or Singin 6 million to nil ??? or singin Hitler had the right idea???

And wheres the sense in Irish people weraring a celtic shirt,and what that represents,and bearing in mind our own terrorism factions ,holding PLO flags and screaming abuse at these people based on waht their governement has done ....it kinda smacks of double standards

I mean we played russia 2 years ago ,none of these morons had a chechnian flag

same when we played Nigeria or Croatia, when we played canada there was none of these fools holding anti seal clubbing badges ;)

Theres a scummie element breaking out of society and in to football that was never there before.This was the best way they could think of to trry and abuse opposition flags.none of this was political, these people aren't intelligent enough to understand why they were holding up flags ,they just did it after reading some dumb article,or cos a few palestinians were handing out free cardboard flags

Thing is tho ,football isn't a place for this shit.And Another thing, we could be in serious trouble if Irish tv had scanned the crowd and focused on the hand signals being made

So ashamed of these people,so ashamed

All that hitler bollocks is well out of order Gav, completely not on. You can't really compare the Ireland situation as the treatment that the Palastinians are getting at the moment is a fucking disgrace. Think how desperate they are, in a battle against tanks and helicopter gunships, that they have to blow themselves up on buses to take the fight to the israeli's. If I were part of an occupied people then i'd be out trying to get un-occupied you can bet your ass on it.

I can imagine the kind of person that was doing it though Gav and I imagine it wasn't the human rights violations and dead western journalists in the west bank that they were thinking of when they were giving the israeli's shit. Morons who want trouble and a scrap i'd imagine, and a shame.

I think any anti israeli chanting is a bit stupid in general as a lot of the fans might be liberal isreali's who agree, but I think that a PLO flag, or a banner of some sort is appropriate if you have an issue with what is going on over there, which I personally do.

Celtic fans are fond of bringing the Palestinian flag and the Basque flag to their matches, especially against Rangers. I believe it is in solidarity with two other occupied sections of society, similar to the British having a hold over the 6 counties of the North that republicans believe should be part of a united Ireland. I don't know if this was the reason the Palestinian flags were at the Ireland game. I agree completely that these flags have no place at a football match, and like Gav says it was especially wrong to bring them along to the match against Israel.

Also, if we are questioning why Israel play in European football, then the same question needs to be asked about why Turkey plays in European football too.

I'd just like to point out that I am half Irish, my mother comes from a village just outside Dundalk and I've always been a big follower of the Irish team. I am over this summer for my cousin's wedding in Dundalk. I've got loads of family over there and love heading over for what always turns into a big shin dig.

Wasn't there a big press campaign to get Kerr in Gav? I seem to remember the papers being very supportive just before his appointment. Bringing Gary Doherty on to lump high balls towards him are the tactics of a clueless manager aren't they?

Everybody has the right to protest. Just because it is a football game we should not turn a blind eye to human rights abuse. During the Israeli national anthem I held up a Palastine falg and did not have any second thoughts about doing it. I did not shout any obscenities. I seen a couple of guys giving nazi salutes before the game, this I put down to being "thick micks". The "were's you foreskin gone" song I laughted at, it was just dumb.

Gav cheers for the tickets.

Everybody has the right to protest. Just because it is a football game we should not turn a blind eye to human rights abuse. During the Israeli national anthem I held up a Palastine falg and did not have any second thoughts about doing it. I did not shout any obscenities. I seen a couple of guys giving nazi salutes before the game, this I put down to being "thick micks". The "were's you foreskin gone" song I laughted at, it was just dumb.

Gav cheers for the tickets.

No worry's mate, good to put a face to the name ...seats weren't too bad either ,pity bout the ineptitude of the performance tho

Will let you know closer to the date about France

Re protests: I agree ,everyone has that right,but inside a football stadium with making nazi salutes and singin "7 million to 1 " or is not a protest

Neither is members of a official "irish supporters club" showering passers by ( incl women and kids) with stout

All those people were trying to do was to intimadate and provoke a response.There's been numerous reports of what went on afterwards in town,1 isreali gl;assed and a gang of tree huggers posing as people who care about the middle east jumped a few isreali fans in town...none of thats football related ,its just scum being scum

Wasn't there a big press campaign to get Kerr in Gav? I seem to remember the papers being very supportive just before his appointment. Bringing Gary Doherty on to lump high balls towards him are the tactics of a clueless manager aren't they?

Not really a campaign but some sections of the media in the pocket were bangin on about him to sway public opinion and the League of Ireland hard liners were pushing for "one of our own", but as dermot alluded to earlier , the main deciding factors was money and less demands.

Docherty did well when he came on ,won a lot of headers etc but havin him on killed morrisions ,up to then ,good performance .......

Not really a campaign but some sections of the media in the pocket were bangin on about him to sway public opinion and the League of Ireland hard liners were pushing for "one of our own", but as dermot alluded to earlier , the main deciding factors was money and less demands.

Docherty did well when he came on ,won a lot of headers etc but havin him on killed morrisions ,up to then ,good performance .......

I remembered the campaign and my feeling at the time was that the media was preparing us for Kidd being unveiled as manager, there was a real feeling that the next manager should be Irish, which I thought was a touch unfair on McCarthy who was good for the Republic as a player, and had his successes as manager.

I remembered the campaign and my feeling at the time was that the media was preparing us for Kidd being unveiled as manager, there was a real feeling that the next manager should be Irish, which I thought was a touch unfair on McCarthy who was good for the Republic as a player, and had his successes as manager.

Don't mention the McC name ...Tomorrow is 10 years to the day since the macedonia match ;)