You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gav (The man who can look Crouch in the eye)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked good yesterday after fir 15 mins. Heard the ref was bad and O'Brien shouldn't have been marched.

Fucking do those Faroese overfishing bastards for me.

Robbed NP mate , we were robbed .Worst ref ever ,but we cause it ourselves

Brian houllier ( as i like to call him) was the catylist for it, making defensive changes when we went 2 nil up

after that we pummelled em for 45 mins and 7 (SEVEN) minutes injury time.He gave them a nonsical penalty, a disgracefull sending off ,but we coulnd't finish.Their keeper was a joke ,went down 8 times

this morning I am ashamed to be Irish tho,after what went on last nite

The filth and abuse showered on fellow football supporters that travelled half the globe to be here was a disgrace

Outside the ground last nite and gangs of "Irish" fans hurling abuse at the passing isrealis.In fact ,at one point,a group of about 100 isrealis walked past ,me and my city mates(about 20-30 of us ) applauded them and shook hands,swapped scarves etc ,and the isrealis ,amazed at that started singing "we love you ireland we do", and then a fella thre a pint of beer over them

Palestine flag waving was bad enough,but chanting Murderers at them ( glass houses concept was lost on them ) but to have gangs of irish fans giving nazi salutes at them made me cringe

And as for our supposed "official supporters club", 2 of them ,dressed in their official black t-shirts ,hurling pints of stout at people walking past.I never came as close in my life to hitting someone at a game as I did at that moment

For years ,guys ike me,the away fan hardcore, have strived to show that we are the best fans to travel, we enjoy ourselves,have a party etc etc .A lot like Liverpool fans away really ,but Last night people claiming to be Irish fans detroyed that concept of Ireland fans being special.

We went to Isreal and were treated with respect ,had a great beach party and a enjoyable few days ,But last night shamed me.I have a isrealie scarf in my pocket at the moment and to be honest,it could well be the last international scarf I'll ever get by swapping with the opposition fans.I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether or not i will be attending home internationals in the future ,thats how upset i am.

on a plus point, met another tlw regular (Benirl) at the game last nite

Gav,

Listened to it on Five Live - sounded like you said. French are happy about the result, but they are in turmoil themselves. Plan to watch them on September 3rd against the Faroes and then go back home on the 7th.

Say, was it the D4 set who fucked it up last night or was it Dublin "scals"? Anti-semitism is cheap and misplaced: if every country did that - as Rashid seems to imply by talking about "government antics", then England fans, Irish fans and Danish fans (amongst others) could all be tarred with the same brush.

Don't give up going mate. It's the likes of you who will help to eradicate this. I realise it's difficult (DT and I saw many people reading 'The Sun' in Turkey, but I daren't do anything; is this cowardice?) but stick with it.

As for Houllikerr, I think the knives are going to be sharpened and if we fail to qualify (we'll never get a better chance), then questions will have to be asked.

Chin up mate.

Gav,

Listened to it on Five Live - sounded like you said. French are happy about the result, but they are in turmoil themselves. Plan to watch them on September 3rd against the Faroes and then go back home on the 7th.

Say, was it the D4 set who fucked it up last night or was it Dublin "scals"? Anti-semitism is cheap and misplaced: if every country did that - as Rashid seems to imply by talking about "government antics", then England fans, Irish fans and Danish fans (amongst others) could all be tarred with the same brush.

Don't give up going mate. It's the likes of you who will help to eradicate this. I realise it's difficult (DT and I saw many people reading 'The Sun' in Turkey, but I daren't do anything; is this cowardice?) but stick with it.

As for Houllikerr, I think the knives are going to be sharpened and if we fail to qualify (we'll never get a better chance), then questions will have to be asked.

Chin up mate.

John - it was everytype mate- to see those fans ,after travelling that distance,and the warm welcome and craic we had with them away ,to see people with PLO flags,making nazi salutes and throwing beer at women and kids hurt me badly last nite.There was dozens outside murrays at the north terrace, god only knows what it was like elsewhere- we applauded them ,and there was lots of people doing the same,shaking their hands ,swapping scarfs and pins etc ,trying to apologise for our fellow countrymen but people were protesting against something that they neither understand nor care about,it was just small mindedness to hurt the away fans ...disgusted mate, remeber the hurt you (and all of us ) would've felt when juve fans unveiled that sheffield flag !!!! thats what I felt last nite

As for the game, kerr is houllier ,its no coincidence that gh wanted him in the academy.I officailly now want him out,and nothing he can do will change that opinion.The sooner he's gone the better .His negativity cost us 2 points last nite, as well as 2 in isreal,2 in france and 2 in switzerland

He took of keane,and brought on kav, and thus mde our most effective attacker,play with his back to goal,allowing the isrealis back in .Given must've been in swords afew more nites this week cos he was off the boil as were most of the players ,ref was a disgrace but the points dropped could've been prevented .To make things worse,kerr realised he fucked up by taking off our next best threat for doherty and made us go route one to get duff back out on the wing .The pen and sending off were a joke , but their goal led a charmed nite .We now HAVE to bet the french to qualify

The thing is tho ,first 25 mins we played some scintilating football

Rash - politics has NO place in football.Every nation has blood on its hands,none of us have a right to feel superior ans some like Ireland or isreal have suffered at the hands of others - none of that matters when 3000 football supporters come to watch a game -

We should have won, a bit gutted but it is still in our hands, 7 points from the Faroes, Switzerland and France should see us through. Referee last night was probably the worst that I have ever seen, and the gamesmanship that he allowed to go on was just wrong, and played its part in inciting the crowd. Have been to a lot of Ireland games over the years and there is typically no crowd issues it is a pity that this is seeping into our game, I hope that people catch themselves on before our reputation is sullied.

Gav,

There's not much I want to say on the political side of the debate, other than that I agree with all you've said. Some of it is small-mindedness, some of it is Republicanism, some of it is the liberalism anti-Israeli sentiment prevalent in Ireland and largely promulgated by the media, I suppose. In any of the cases, it's disgusting and the FAI - if it were any good - would root it out and ban these people. Fat chance.

Very interested on your view on Kerr (I've known it for a while). Surprised you want him out mate. Is it like me with GH? Is it based on what you think (know ;)) may happen in the future or on his record so far? I suspect it's largely the former and in part the latter. I took plenty of grief (from you and others) for my (some would say) pre-eminent invective against GH, so I am intrigued to know if you've changed views on "outing" managers too quickly or if there's a deep-rooted belief that tells you we will go nowhere under him.

Nothing would have convinced me to keep Gérard from roughly December 2002 (the Anfield derby which we drew 0-0). The League Cup win in 2003 brought him time with many and most felt he deserved 2003-04 to put it right. Obviously that proved unfounded. Is it the same with you are Kerr?

Gav,

There's not much I want to say on the political side of the debate, other than that I agree with all you've said. Some of it is small-mindedness, some of it is Republicanism, some of it is the liberalism anti-Israeli sentiment prevalent in Ireland and largely promulgated by the media, I suppose. In any of the cases, it's disgusting and the FAI - if it were any good - would root it out and ban these people. Fat chance.

Very interested on your view on Kerr (I've known it for a while). Surprised you want him out mate. Is it like me with GH? Is it based on what you think (know ;)) may happen in the future or on his record so far? I suspect it's largely the former and in part the latter. I took plenty of grief (from you and others) for my (some would say) pre-eminent invective against GH, so I am intrigued to know if you've changed views on "outing" managers too quickly or if there's a deep-rooted belief that tells you we will go nowhere under him.

Nothing would have convinced me to keep Gérard from roughly December 2002 (the Anfield derby which we drew 0-0). The League Cup win in 2003 brought him time with many and most felt he deserved 2003-04 to put it right. Obviously that proved unfounded. Is it the same with you are Kerr?

It's a bit less black and white tbh.You came to a point and said enough is enough,and some agreed ,others (of which I was one) wanted to wait.I eventually fell from the dark side after 10 or 12 games into his last season.

Forr me tho I never wanted him (kerr) in there in the first place.I wanted dalglish or Hiddink,or the german fella that was with bayern ,hitzer or summit.

To me kerr is,like brian kidd,while he's coaching under age kids,or while he's even coaching players he's outstanding,but theirs a big step up from that to full manegment and I think,like kidd, is seriously lacking the know how to deal with the european game.He's more defensive than houllier,and what showed it all to me was one of my city mates tappin me on the shoulder when harte scored last nite and said ,only 85 mins defending to go!!!

We havn't beaten a serious team ,in competition,since he took over.Ahh sure we scrap 1or2 nils against the minnows but not any of the big teams.You were in paris,you saw first hand what he's like .

He constantly nullifies our most offensive options during games ,Duff last night being a example.Duff tore em apart in the first 25 mins,the first goal came from Duff beating 5 (FIVE) men !!!when keane got injured,we should've kept the momentum by bringing on a striker,instead he shuffled the whole midfield when he brought on another defensive midfielder.Duff now was up front where he played with his back to goal,the switching wings between him and rid were gone,kilbane was shoved wide and all o a sudden the isrealis over ran the middle .Morrisons running was now ineffective as there was no one cutting back and getting him ball

It then took him 50 minutes and 2 goals to switch duff back again and by then it was us against 10 man defence

Thats happened in every game of note so far and its not gonna change now.Germany is pipe dream at the moment unless we have another lucky dutch style performance against france.

Thats me finished with him now tho , last nite was my Derby if you like .All along I wasn't anti or anything but wasn't in his camp like the rest of the Eircom leaguers, last night I became anti Kerr

Should've seen keane last nite .If he was on the pitch he woulda killed someone .He walked out of the stand like a man about to line do a postal

Let me know if you're stuck in september, should be able to swing 1 for you

Sad to hear that, Gav. It really is the idiots that ruin it for those of us that celebrate football in a proper manner.

The reputation (over here in N. AMeirca) is that the Irish fans are right up there with the Brazil fans when the WC rolls around.

Rashid, yes Mugabwe and NK are rogue states and play in their respective geographical groupings but there are extenuating circumstances with Israel. MAny of the Israeli neighbors are sworn to destroy the state, either in their constitutions or religious edicts laid down. Munich '72 involved a asporting event and murder of Israeli atheletes. If Israel played in Asia there would be mayhem. Israel is not a rogue state and the politics of the Middle East are complex. Like johnb, I won't go into my own views on Israel as that is another debate not for a football forum.

Israel is not a rogue state

What the fuck? Patrick - what are you on? Define Rogue?

They are sitting on someone elses land, regularly bomb their neighbours "in self defence" and are currently violating about loads of UN Resolutions and are illegal occupants under International Law.

They are not Rogue because they are friends of America I take it?

Israel is not a rogue state

What the fuck? Patrick - what are you on? Define Rogue?

They are sitting on someone elses land, regularly bomb their neighbours "in self defence" and are currently violating about loads of UN Resolutions and are illegal occupants under International Law.

They are not Rogue because they are friends of America I take it?

Rash - lets cut this shit out now .If you want to peddle your political opinions start some other thread on the GF , this thread was a question from a mate, about what a football match was like last nite ....end of story OK

Rash - lets cut this shit out now .If you want to peddle your political opinions start some other thread on the GF , this thread was a question from a mate, about what a football match was like last nite ....end of story OK

Sorry mate, I just responded to Patrick but the issue of fan problems in Ireland last night was in part due to Israels foreign policy.

As for Brian Kerr, who would you replace him with?

Gav - I agree about Kerr, I did not want him as manager, but I remember when the interviews were done the feedback from those coming out was that the most important question was how much will you do the job for? Brian Kerr had the lowest demands and he got the job.

Sorry mate, I just responded to Patrick but the issue of fan problems in Ireland last night was in part due to Israels foreign policy.

As for Brian Kerr, who would you replace him with?

No it was to do with small mindedness and illeducated opinions -end of

And I answered that question already in a reply to John, I wanted hitzer or hiddink ,or that lad that was on charge or Japan,or kenny obviously

Hiddink left the Korean job because he missed the day to day running of a club. A good shout would be Terry Venables I think. Some may laugh but he has a good record at International level, would understand the tactics very well and has great man management skills.

Gav - I agree about Kerr, I did not want him as manager, but I remember when the interviews were done the feedback from those coming out was that the most important question was how much will you do the job for? Brian Kerr had the lowest demands and he got the job.

Can't disagree with that tbh .its exactly how I felt.I had the joy in knowing that mccarthey was gone,and that a new era was going to begin ,and the fai shot the arse out of it by giving it to someone without experience when the list of posshibilities and opertunities was beyond my wildest dreams

In fairness,I've watched kerrs youth teams for years , an the likes of O'shea,duff,reid,partridge,and loads more , have only made it this far with the expertise kerr has ,and in fairness his record at that level as second to none,jesus we won the biggest tournament in europe

But at this level.........I want him gone.I'd take Aldo (who really wanted it badly ) over kerr at this stage