You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

2 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’m not convinced about De Zerbi, but am hopeful that Alonso would choose us over Bayern. That job comes up every season or two, whereas he might not get another opportunity to manage Liverpool.

In Brighton's last 19 games, they have won just 5, with 23 points.

For context in their last 19 games, Everton have won 7 games, with 26 points. 

Granted Brighton play better football than Everton but they also probably have better players than Everton and nobody, NOBODY is advocating Dyche. 

De Zerbi could very easily be a flash in the pan, the 2020s Owen Coyle

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Razoray said:

In Brighton's last 19 games, they have won just 5, with 23 points.

For context in their last 19 games, Everton have won 7 games, with 26 points. 

Granted Brighton play better football than Everton but they also probably have better players than Everton and nobody, NOBODY is advocating Dyche. 

De Zerbi could very easily be a flash in the pan, the 2020s Owen Coyle

Yep, absolutely agree - I don’t see anything in him that suggests there’s an extraordinary manager in there and strongly suspect we’d be looking at a Rodgers-esque outcome with him.

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep, absolutely agree - I don’t see anything in him that suggests there’s an extraordinary manager in there and strongly suspect we’d be looking at a Rodgers-esque outcome with him.

I was onto him last season, the little Everton enabling cunt. The only reason he's even remotely on Liverpool\s radar is because Lallana and Milner think he's amazing.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

Remember, these are the same planks that interviewed Roberto fucking Martinez.

We were fishing in a much smaller pond then though. It's not like we were the most attractive destination for any manager out there. Right now we are, everything is in place for someone to come in and win right away without having to oversee a rebuild on a budget.

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Xabi for me but I just hope the saga doesn’t roll on too long and we end up scratching around for a manager into the summer. Alonso will hopefully rule himself out sooner rather than later if he doesn’t fancy a return to Anfield 

It's going to roll on though isn't it? unless leverkusen want the process to start now, we're almost certainly going to need to wait until the summer. If we want Xabi (and I'm yet to be convinced that we do btw), we will have already contacted his people and told him so. Then it's let everyone finish the season - even if it's verbally agreed behind the scenes, it would be pretty unlikely we'd know about it. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Bayer Leverkusen director of sport Simon Rolfes says he is "sure" manager Xabi Alonso will stay at the club despite interest from Liverpool and Bayern Munich

Alonso is contracted at Leverkusen until 2026, I think this might be part of the reason that Ancelotti recently extended at Madrid until 2026. I still think Alonso's next move will be Madrid.

If we have no chance of getting Alonso, FSG and their chosen journalists need to get that story out sooner rather than later because he's clearly the overwhelming choice of the fans.

• Upvote 1

Don't these European clubs generally like their  summer buisness all done pretty early so everyone knows what's going on , If Xabi is the first choice to replace Klopp and I really hope he is it would be madness not to have had some sort of contact with at least his agent .

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

Alonso is contracted at Leverkusen until 2026, I think this might be part of the reason that Ancelotti recently extended at Madrid until 2026. I still think Alonso's next move will be Madrid.

If we have no chance of getting Alonso, FSG and their chosen journalists need to get that story out sooner rather than later because he's clearly the overwhelming choice of the fans.

Agreed - If it is not him the vast majority of the fanbase will be massively disappointed.

The job is going to be a minefield anyway - anyone other than Alonso will be immediately behind the eight ball.

The narrative has already started en masse that Klopp has set us up for someone to walk straight in and compete for the highest honors right away.

21 minutes ago, dave u said:

I was onto him last season, the little Everton enabling cunt. The only reason he's even remotely on Liverpool\s radar is because Lallana and Milner think he's amazing.

and sure what the fuck would they know?

The only way I'd be doing those off the record interviews if I was Bayern would either be with Xabi's consent (which I think is unlikely) or in the knowledge that it's a no lose way to destabilise Leverkusen.

I can only see them choosing the second option if they think getting Xabi is low percentage as they'd be trying not to piss him off otherwise.

As others have said, Alonso is absolutely the wrong choice for us if he sees Bayern as a better option for himself.

It would be impressive in a way if he stayed at Leverkusen with the options he probably now has. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

De Zerbi is pretty extraordinary in the sense that there are few managers like him who have a style of football unique to them. That's why people in the game rave about him.

The Rodgers comparison is unfair. Rodgers isn't a terrible manager but he is fly by night tactically. He will scramble when things are not working. De Zerbi will do what he does and his football is really good. 

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

To me, there's still a bunch of good candidates.

Alonso, Inzaghi, Amorim and De Zerbi are all quality choices for a number of reasons. I don't think there is a reason to panic over the Alonso love in from everywhere.

I think Inzaghi and Amorim would take quite a bit of time to adapt to the Premier League. Inzaghi especially, he's even worse than Arteta for touchline antics, he'd be universally hated by November. That stuff does matter to players. (And to refs.)

De Zerbi would be my pick and he'd be miles worse than Xabi imo.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

^^^^^I don't think anyone who has said that actually means it^^^^^^^

I do. 

If he doesn't want to come because he wants to do another year before a top job, he's not ready. 

If he doesn't want to come because he thinks Bayern is the more interesting job, it'll be because he doesn't much fancy his chances of success here for whatever reason, but fighting the cheats is probably one. Well we need a manager who like klopp thinks we can challenge despite the cheats. 

If he's just waiting for real Madrid, well he wants real Madrid and all we will ever get is destabilising noise from outside and he'll fuck off after a year or two anyway. 

Whoever we hire has to be someone who sees this job as something he's desperate to do. If that isn't the case for Alonso, he's not our man. 

• Upvote 2