You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 2nd half of the season

an tha

Although some posters are more down on our performances than others, ultimately, we’re in the top 2 without really hitting top gear yet.

I know you can say the same about Arsenal or City, but fuck them, IMO, it’s all about us.  

Despite VVD allegedly being past it, Konate / Matip / Gomez being crocks, Tsmiskas not being good enough and Robertson being injured, we’ve somehow managed the best defensive record in the league. 

Despite a brand new midfield, it feels like we’ve contributed more goals from these positions than we have done in years. 

Despite our attackers not really firing so far (I’ll excuse Mo & Jota), we’re the 3rd top scorers in the league.

And finally, despite some poor performances earlier this month, we somehow keep winning (I always thought the sign of a good team was winning and not playing well?). 

I’m not saying we’re perfect at the moment, we’re not. There is still definitely room for improvements. We need to control games better (maybe this comes with newness / inexperience of the midfield) and we need to be more clinical in front of goal (the forwards do need to score more).

We’re still very much a work in progress and very much competing with the City & Arsenal. If we can get it all to “click”, we’ll take some stopping. This season might be a step too far, certainly feels like we won’t be falling away again in the next couple of years. 

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Egypt were shit in the last Afcon but somehow spawned their way to the final after three 0-0 draws and winning on pens. They were genuinely fucking awful just relying on Salah to do anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully they go out early this time.

You're looking at Mo only missing one league game then. Bournemouth away, that would be ideal.

Just now, Scott_M said:

We could absolutely do with Mo being back for Chelsea and, especially, Arsenal.

They'd have to bomb out in group realistically for him to make Chelsea - group B winners or runners up play last 16 on 29th or 28th Jan - Chelsea is 31st

Last 16 exit for Arsenal.

On 25/12/2023 at 06:35, Scott_M said:

A minimum of 3rd in the league.

Win the League Cup.

Win the UEFA Cup.

I don’t see us progressing in the FA Cup.

We’re in the same boat.

Win two trophies and keep City honest in the title race.

Did you manage to get a ticket for Arsenal away? I was only notified it went down to all members, while far too comprised to act.

Unfortunately, City have a favourable run coming up where they will likely rack up the points and goals…

Sheff Utd - H

Newcastle - A 

Burnley - H

Brentford - A

Everton - H

…maybe Newcastle & Brentford will be tricky (depends who Newcastle have back, I think Brentford have a few away at the AFCON) those home wins will likely be cricket scores.

What I would say that isn’t in our favour, like the 18/19 season, is having to go to Woodison and Old Trafford in the second half of the season.

Historically, very tough games for us, even if our recent records at both grounds are improved. 

Even Forest will be tougher for us than the other 2 sides.

Only Arsenal going to Spurs will have any similar sort of hostility. Nobody cares about City. 

There's no way Egypt won't qualify from their group, it's the same format as the Euros where 4 of the 6 third place teams qualify. At best they will get knocked out in the last 16 or QF.

If we sign two players in January we've got a chance of having a really good season. We have to sign somebody though, we won't get very far only having four senior defenders, two of which are injury prone.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

City will be top in a few weeks. Cunts.

They’ll still need to come to Anfield, if we keep pace with them, that will be the most difficult game any of their players will ever have to play in. 

Keep our defensive record and be a bit more clinical in front of goal (which we should) and the onus will very much be on City will need win it, not on others falling away (like last season or 20/21).