You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Film Sequels That Beat the Originals

AngryOfTuebrook

Toy Story 2 and 3

Logan, miles better than the earlier Wolverine films

The later Bourne films improved on the original no end, as did the Harry Potter ones and there are plenty of Bond films that are better than Dr No, including From Russia With Love, its direct sequel 

The first John Wick is infinitely better than any of the sequels, a solid tight action flick that got bogged down in extended, convoluted, lore and back story the more the franchise went on.

Should have been a one and done and placed alongside other schlocky, fun, one off action flicks like ConAir and The Rock, 

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

Toy Story 2 and 3

Logan, miles better than the earlier Wolverine films

The later Bourne films improved on the original no end, as did the Harry Potter ones and there are plenty of Bond films that are better than Dr No, including From Russia With Love, its direct sequel 

Can't agree there, not one bit. The original was outstanding. 

Always preferred Lethal Weapon 2 to 1. 

8 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

The first John Wick is infinitely better than any of the sequels, a solid tight action flick that got bogged down in extended, convoluted, lore and back story the more the franchise went on.

Should have been a one and done and placed alongside other schlocky, fun, one off action flicks like ConAir and The Rock, 

I don't think you've understood the thread properly 

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Well my answer to this thread was Blade Runner 2049 and Empire.....

Finding an original that's better than a sequel is about as difficult as finding a Moanero post about biscuits or kids toys of the 80s

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

Finding an original that's better than a sequel is about as difficult as finding a Moanero post about biscuits or kids toys of the 80s

I'm not sure if it's you or me that's confused, it's probably me.

My John Wick post was in response to the suggestion of John Wick sequels being better than the original when I think they get bogged down on overly expansive convoluted law. It wasn't me advocating for it as an answer to the question in this thread.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm not sure if it's you or me that's confused, it's probably me.

My John Wick post was in response to the suggestion of John Wick sequels being better than the original when I think they get bogged down on overly expansive convoluted law. It wasn't me advocating for it as an answer to the question in this thread.

If it helps I haven't seen any of the John Wick films

It does...

Anyway, everyone knows Highlander 2 is better than Highlander 1 and is the only real answer.

An ancient Egyptian katana carrying swordsman with a Spanish name and Scottish accent travels to the Highlands via feudal Japan, Spain, Babylonia, Greece and China where he's killed by a Slavic swordsman in the 1500's, he then re-appears 500 years before 2024 in space where it's revealed that he isn't an ancient Egyptian katana carrying swordsman with a Spanish name and Scottish accent but an Alien Katana carrying swordsman with a Spanish name and Scottish accent who comes back to life in Glencoe after dying in space  and travels to New York to carry on his adventures.

Until John Boorman makes a sequel to the red bondage gear classic Zardoz it'll remain the greatest sequel and Sean Connery's greatest work.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

It does...

Anyway, everyone knows Highlander 2 is better than Highlander 1 and is the only real answer.

An ancient Egyptian katana carrying swordsman with a Spanish name and Scottish accent travels to the Highlands over via feudal Japan, Spain, Babylonia, Greece and China where he's killed by a Slavic swordsman in the 1500's, he then re-appears 500 years before 2024 in space where it's revealed that he isn't an ancient Egyptian katana carrying swordsman with a Spanish name and Scottish accent but an Alien Katana carrying swordsman with a Spanish name and Scottish accent who comes back to life in Glencoe after dying in space  and travels to New York to carry on his adventures.

Until John Boorman makes a sequel to the red bondage gear classic Zardoz it'll remain the greatest sequel and Sean Connery's greatest work.

I usually refer to Highlander as the benchmark of how not to do a sequel; absolute dreck, too shit for just one film, it reverse-shits over the original.

53 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I liked the original, but thought it was a little dull. The final one of the three was the pick for me.

You’ll love the fourth one then.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I usually refer to Highlander as the benchmark of how not to do a sequel; absolute dreck, too shit for just one film, it reverse-shits over the original.

There's an alternative cut of the film (multiple cuts) called the Renegade Cut or something that removes refence to immortals being Aliens and instead being time traveling Earth bound types. Doubt any of them help the film in the slightest though.

The filming of it was all a bit mental, they filmed in Argentina during an economic collapse and hyper inflation and the financiers behind it held the film hostage turfing out the producers/director (who disowned the film anyway).

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

The Terminator debate is very much a contentious topic in our household. I'm firmly in the Terminator camp, but she prefers Terminator 2.

Expected from a bird.

The first one is infinitely superior, not least because it doesn't have that fucking teenager in it.

56 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The Before trilogy is supposed to be very good (Sunrise, Sunset and Midnight)

I've only seen the first 2 and the first is much, much better. 

Not that I watch romantic movies, I'm well hard me, in fact do you want a fight? 

53 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Terminator 2 is the better film, in my opinion. Robert Patrick makes it.

It was also one of those films that advanced advanced film making off the back of it specifically in VFX/CG.

Whether now that's considered a good thing is up for debate.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Terminator 2 is the better film, in my opinion. Robert Patrick makes it.

Yep. He's the best villain in film history for my money. 

I'd never noticed before but he'd practiced not flinching when firing his gun and not breathing when he runs to make him seem more like a machine.

As well as him though, it's also got the best action scene in film too, the Cyberdine shootout.

Two bits of trivia. The head of the swat team that raids Cyberdine is uncle Hank from Breaking Bad.

And the original actor Cameron wanted to cast as the T-1000 was Billy Idol. They'd actually made production sketches of him but he had a motorbike accident so couldn't do it.

• Upvote 3