You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nunez and Gakpo

johnsusername

All we've discovered so far this season is that Mane was the best and most important player of our famed front 3.

What we discovered last season was that replacing Wijnaldum with Thiago was a terrible idea.

What we need to rectify is a Midfield unti who press like hungry dogs and that will never happen while we play a kid learning his trade, a stylish, yet injury prone luxury player and Keita, a player who has been mostly useless since he arrived and that nobody else wants for any kind of fee.

There are layers of arguments here.

Is Klopp trustworthy in the transfer market?

Had we shifted no marks in the summer to reduce the wage bill would the owners have funded more signings?

Who is now making the decisions as far as recruitment goes?

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

yes to the first part Comrade, spot on and they need replacing with players of similar mentality.

BUT, all the evidence suggests that both Mane and Wijnaldum were Klopp signings as he tried to get both for Dortmund.

I agree with rest of your post that is the unknown - they were identified by Dortmunds structure with Zorc at the helm. Very much like we were structured for a few years. Apparently no longer.

New signings aren't ever useless on their own and they're only as good as how you plan to use them, but Nunez is trying hard to disprove that.

He at times just looks completely unsuited to a team that wants to have the ball and play on the front foot. There is so much growing up he needs to do.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I agree with rest of your post that is the unknown - they were identified by Dortmunds structure with Zorc at the helm. Very much like we were structured for a few years. Apparently no longer.

maybe mate, I have no idea.

All I do know is that for us...they were Klopp signings.

BUT as I said previously, so were Chamberlain and Keita.

So what you gain with one had, you lose with the other.

Klopp will obviously had a letter to Santa in the summer about who he wanted to bring in and judging by all the noise in the press, both local and European, Tchouameni was number one on the hit list, which means he knew then and now that a marauding, pressing, ball playing Midfielder was of immense importance.

But, just like any other list, there will be other players in different positions on there.

Chances are Nunez was 2nd. 

I'm only guessing here but chances are the owners have said something like "now we've renewed Milner, Henderson and Fabinho at your request, just how many midfielders is enough? You've got about 10, get rid of 2 or 3 and you can have a new one".

So, this Summer all of Milner, Keita and Chamberlain are out of contract, get rid of them, plus Jones, before the rest of the world realise he isn't actually of PL standard and you have space for 2 or 3 more.

Plus, if nobody has realised that Fabinho has had his legs replaced with Iron girders, we might be able to out him to Italy where football is at walking pace,

That means then that MF can be addressed this coming Summer (owners actually providing funds notwishstanding and we all know they get worried spending without major outgoings).

All I'm saying is, Klopp has probably got the players he wants, just in the wrong order, but that's no reason for us all to go running round public parks with our knobs out shouting "revolution"

We've all been around long enough to see how new players find it hard in struggling sides. And not just at Liverpool. Loads of good players have played at big clubs early in their careers and been fucked off only to come back years later with another side as a superstar.

I think the problem is the system. Liverpool's success under Klopp has been less to do with individuals and more to do with how they all work with each other, almost telepathically at times. For whatever reason that's completely and utterly gone.

All you see up front now are square pegs in round holes, snatching at chances and trying to figure out who's running where and why.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

maybe mate, I have no idea.

All I do know is that for us...they were Klopp signings.

BUT as I said previously, so were Chamberlain and Keita.

So what you gain with one had, you lose with the other.

Klopp will obviously had a letter to Santa in the summer about who he wanted to bring in and judging by all the noise in the press, both local and European, Tchouameni was number one on the hit list, which means he knew then and now that a marauding, pressing, ball playing Midfielder was of immense importance.

But, just like any other list, there will be other players in different positions on there.

Chances are Nunez was 2nd. 

I'm only guessing here but chances are the owners have said something like "now we've renewed Milner, Henderson and Fabinho at your request, just how many midfielders is enough? You've got about 10, get rid of 2 or 3 and you can have a new one".

So, this Summer all of Milner, Keita and Chamberlain are out of contract, get rid of them, plus Jones, before the rest of the world realise he isn't actually of PL standard and you have space for 2 or 3 more.

Plus, if nobody has realised that Fabinho has had his legs replaced with Iron girders, we might be able to out him to Italy where football is at walking pace,

That means then that MF can be addressed this coming Summer (owners actually providing funds notwishstanding and we all know they get worried spending without major outgoings).

All I'm saying is, Klopp has probably got the players he wants, just in the wrong order, but that's no reason for us all to go running round public parks with our knobs out shouting "revolution"

Completely agree. 

Mane and Wijnaldum epitomised this Klopp team. Real Talent aligned unbelievable work eithic.

If you remove them and add Thiago and Nunez your taking a big risk, tactically, formation and fitness wise.

Wijnaldum and Mane were both quality premier league performers before they arrived here. We let them play out their "potential"  years at other clubs before going for them.

I feel sorry for Nunez as he was still very much "potential"- in no way ready to start for a team with title winning aspirations, and not for the money we spent. An absolute fuck up of a signing at a pivotal time. People point to his age  

suggesting he will come good- Torres was the same age when he arrived having already netted 90 goals for Atletico- he dragged us up a level.

3 hours ago, aws said:

Far bigger problems in the team than those two. 

Totally. Our CBs today managed to hand two goals inside the first 12 minutes to a team that can’t score goals. 

We’re shit and low in confidence, and the last thing you need is to start a game like that.

Matip looked like he was shit scared to be out there, that first half from him is possibly the worst I’ve seen from a Liverpool CB, and I’ve been following this club since the 70s. Torben Piechnic was better than this.

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Totally. Our CBs today managed to hand two goals inside the first 12 minutes to a team that can’t score goals. 

We’re shit and low in confidence, and the last thing you need is to start a game like that.

Matip looked like he was shit scared to be out there, that first half from him is possibly the worst I’ve seen from a Liverpool CB, and I’ve been following this club since the 70s. Torben Piechnic was better than this.

Lovren at Tottenham takes some beating.

Agree though Matip looked so apprehensive I actually wonder if he was injured again but forced into action given our problems back there.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Lovren at Tottenham takes some beating.

Agree though Matip looked so apprehensive I actually wonder if he was injured again but forced into action given our problems back there.

Could be actually. What else could explain a performance like that from what used to be a very good CB.

He looked scared of the opponents, the ball, his team mates, the home supporters, the lot.

Only a prick would write these two off so soon.

Obviously, it takes a while to get up to speed and obviously it's harder when the rest of your team-mates are playing shit and the personnel are chopping and changing every week.  All of the new players (including Carvalho) should be behind Jota, Diaz and Firmino in the pecking order, at least until they're fully up to speed.  To judge them now is stupidly premature.