You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

23 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Head of I think , not the whole team.

There’s a lot of cross pollination amongst some of the teams on this. The head of recruitment at Brighton went to Chelsea. I also read the other day, that one of the reasons Lavia decided Chelsea, bar our fuck ups, was that he was recruited at City, by someone who then went to Southampton and took Lavia there. The same guy has just this summer, in turn moved to Chelsea, so Lavia was recruited by the same guy for a third time.

someone commented about our seeming inability to deal with the other teams successfully in transfers and I wonder if this lack of cross pollination hinders us. Jorg on his sun lounger in ibiza is a bit isolated

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

someone commented about our seeming inability to deal with the other teams successfully in transfers and I wonder if this lack of cross pollination hinders us. Jorg on his sun lounger in ibiza is a bit isolated

You'll be eating your words when he signs the live sex show from Manumission as half-time entertainment.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was progressive and good on the ball when he was at Lens. There are loads of resources which confirms this.

He then played under two managers in Vieira and Hodgson who are as pragmatic as it gets. I dont think people know this in England because he was seen as having done a good job at Palace, but Vieira in France is seen as one of the most boring, defensive coaches out there. There is a decent possibility, that as good as he has been at Palace, and he has been very good, he was their player of the year and the fans love him, he would be even better at a big club that tries to play football. 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was progressive and good on the ball when he was at Lens. There are loads of resources which confirms this.

He then played under two managers in Vieira and Hodgson who are as pragmatic as it gets. I dont think people know this in England because he was seen as having done a good job at Palace, but Vieira in France is seen as one of the most boring, defensive coaches out there. There is a decent possibility, that as good as he has been at Palace, and he has been very good, he was their player of the year and the fans love him, he would be even better at a big club that tries to play football. 

This is good to know because press resistance and progressive passing were my two main reservations about him too. Based on everything I can see at Palace, he seems almost laborious on the ball.

Would you rather Doucoure or Palinha? The age factor is the main thing that swings it for the former, but the latter feels a bit more robust and dynamic (albeit not a supreme ball player). 

If we want Doucoure, we need to ask Palace what they want and just pay it, within reason, and announce his arrival.  A two-week campaign of leaks to club-friendly journalists would grate just a little at this stage. 

He looks tall, which would also be of benefit at set-pieces at either end. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

He is Palace s best player.

Thats not the barometer for a good player though. And he might have been stats wise but you only have to watch that video for 3 minutes to realise how bad he is on the ball. He's a yard dog, same as Hodjberg, there's a reason these types of players end up at clubs playing in defensive low block systems. 

He's not even close to being a Liverpool level player

6 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Thats not the barometer for a good player though. And he might have been stats wise but you only have to watch that video for 3 minutes to realise how bad he is on the ball. He's a yard dog, same as Hodjberg, there's a reason these types of players end up at clubs playing in defensive low block systems. 

He's not even close to being a Liverpool level player

He is not a yard dog whatsoever. If you want some source other than me, Google his name and see what is written about him.

13 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

This is good to know because press resistance and progressive passing were my two main reservations about him too. Based on everything I can see at Palace, he seems almost laborious on the ball.

Would you rather Doucoure or Palinha? The age factor is the main thing that swings it for the former, but the latter feels a bit more robust and dynamic (albeit not a supreme ball player). 

https://anfieldwatch.co.uk/analysed-cheick-doucoure-vs-joao-palhinha-who-suits-liverpool

This is a decent article that compares the two.

I prefer Doucoure because of his age and mobility, but the article actually does a good job of explaining why Palhinha's age might not be that big of a deal.

• Upvote 1

Dunno what happened to my reply before. What I said was, while he looks like he can pick a pass when he’s got time and space, that’s not the same thing as being able to do it under pressure. Can he take an underhit or slightly misplaced ball from the centre backs or goalie, hold off opponents, make it his and play it into space with someone hanging off him? I certainly didn’t see anything like that on the videos I saw.

But to be honest Stacksy will have seen a lot more of him than me so his judgement will be a lot better than mine.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Blows my mind there are people who watch enough football to know stuff like this when it's not their full time job.

Yeah I absolutely can't be arsed watching anything aside from us, not enough bloody time, being a grown up sucks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

Also @3 Stacks who would you rather have out of Doucouré and Fofana?

Easily Doucoure. Fofana is bang average, in my opinion, and he's not very bright either. Gets a lot of stupid bookings.

The only plus with Fofana is that Deschamps started picking him and usually once he starts picking players for the national team, it indicates those players have reached a certain level. And he is quite good at discerning this.

4 hours ago, Burgess said:

I can only think that Chelsea know there’s a way out of these deals if they need it. 
Selling/ loaning  to clubs they have an agreement with - this is potentially very murky and only in years to come will we see the full plan. 

Weird, thought I had posted this ages ago, but still on my phone in the reply box.

Saudi has to be the path. Loans don't help them as the assets remain on their books. And it would feel pretty unlikely smaller clubs will be able to afford the wages, despite these claims of them being smaller than before, they're enourmous. 

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’m shocked. Are you shocked? Because I’m shocked.

Liverpool is set to acquire a new Sporting Director, as it's believed that Jörg Schmadtke will not continue in his current role beyond this summer.

To be honest, I never thought for a second he would last beyond the summer. If they believed in him, they'd have given him the job. We're not going to do a try before you buy imo. It was simply we were unable to find the right person and rather than hire the wrong one, we took a temporary one to be Gordon's PA. 

4 hours ago, No2 said:

That's back dating, Chelsea have made these signings based on current rules, any contract extensions will be based on current rules. Changing the rules is fine, you catch up but you can't move the goal posts. For example if the PL said all deals must be amortisatised over 1 year, probably only Everton would pass that one.

Things do change though. Uefa are doing away with ffp from this season and replacing it with new P&S rules. But the final destination is getting eased in across 3 seasons like @TD_LFC is suggesting with amortisation rules. So spending on wages, amortisation and agent fees is directly linked to turnover. This season at 90%, next 80%, then finally 70% which will be the path going forward. 

9 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Dunno what happened to my reply before. What I said was, while he looks like he can pick a pass when he’s got time and space, that’s not the same thing as being able to do it under pressure. Can he take an underhit or slightly misplaced ball from the centre backs or goalie, hold off opponents, make it his and play it into space with someone hanging off him? I certainly didn’t see anything like that on the videos I saw.

But to be honest Stacksy will have seen a lot more of him than me so his judgement will be a lot better than mine.

He's not Verratti in terms of press resistance, but the part about him playing for Palace is important. And this is for @Mil-ing Around as well.

The coach he played under at Lens is absolutely excellent. He is Klopp esque in style. They play(ed) a very high tempo and high intensity attacking game. And in that style, he flourished and showed some variety and ability on the ball. So that indicates there is some suitability to a team that plays on the front foot.

That's more what I mean. At Palace, Vieira and Hodgson would have just told him to play it simple. And yet, he has still looked good at Palace.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's not Verratti in terms of press resistance, but the part about him playing for Palace is important. And this is for @Mil-ing Around as well.

The coach he played under at Lens is absolutely excellent. He is Klopp esque in style. They play(ed) a very high tempo and high intensity attacking game. And in that style, he flourished and showed some variety and ability on the ball. So that indicates there is some suitability to a team that plays on the front foot.

That's more what I mean. At Palace, Vieira and Hodgson would have just told him to play it simple. And yet, he has still looked good at Palace.

If we sign him and it doesn’t work out, it’s on you. 

• Upvote 1

Mali qualified for the African Cup of Nations who Doucoure plays for. The tournament starts on the 13th of Jan and finishes Feb 11th. This time the league has a two week break after the away game at Bournemouth on the 13th of Jan for two weeks. If Mali are shit he could be back for the Arsenal and Chelsea games. If they are good then he could end up missing 4 games including Burnley.