You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Very excited to be here can’t wait for the season to start and see you all at deepdale soon! @pnefc

Who's our backup RB now? Bradley? Gomez?

So when exactly are we going to start buying some fucking players. As of the end of this week, we could be looking like this:

OUT - 11 Players, 70M Sales & Mega Wages offloaded
  1. Fabinho 40m
  2. Hendo 20m
  3. Nat Phillips 10m
  4. Firmino Free
  5. Keita Free
  6. Ox Free
  7. Milner Free
  8. Carvalho Loan
  9. Ramsay Loan
  10. Rhys Williams Loan
  11. Sepp Van Der Breg Loan
IN - 2 Players, 85M Purchases
  1. Macca 35m
  2. Szobo 60m

Net: 9 players lost, 15M spent

Now we're at a point where it looks like we need two midfielders (one immediate starter), a LCB and maybe even RB cover. I'll be surprised if we do more than one more midfielder.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is pretty simple.

Hendo is finished at the level we need and i have zero desire to see him run past, by and through game after game after game again and fail to win challenge after challenge, be outmuscled etc etc.

Fabinho whilst not quite as bad isn't much better now.

So for me it is time (past time actually) to just say ta-ra and if we can get 10m for Hendo, 40m for Fabinho and clear 400k a week in wages and use all that towards bringing in players with all the attributes our midfield has been desperately short of for too long, then it is an absolutely terrific and exciting opportunity, we simply should not waste.

It of course means we have to act swiftly now and make sure we get it right and yeah it has probably accelerated a process we would have had a slightly slower/more measured plan for, and it can be argued there is risk in it - but for my money it is a golden opportunity to rid an area of the team that has been in terminal of the worst culprits for that decline and get good money for doing so....Money we can put to great use in injecting back into the team the sort of players, with the sort of attributes we need to look like a Jurgen Klopp team again and begin the journey back to the top - out with the old and in decline, we can't and we should not carry them any longer - it is time to be ruthless and it jsut so happens we have been offered the chance to get rid with pretty favourable benefits financially and in with the new - alongside the likes of Jones, TAA et al and the proven PL quality we have added in Mac Allister.

Yeah it is for me exciting.

Yeah, I get the part where both aren't good anymore. That was in the 2nd sentence. 

Just don't complain when the midfield is still bad because every player we have in there is new.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I get the part where both aren't good anymore. That was in the 2nd sentence. 

Just don't complain when the midfield is still bad because every player we have in there is new.

The chances of it being worse than last season are pretty low IMO.

An injection of legs, mobility, athleticism, the ability to win challenges, youth and hunger - will see serious improvement - and what we lose on the experience and continuity and knowledge of how we are supposed to play swings will be comfortably compensated for with what we gain on the having midfielders who are not shot to fuck roundabout.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:
Very excited to be here can’t wait for the season to start and see you all at deepdale soon! @pnefc

So when exactly are we going to start buying some fucking players. As of the end of this week, we could be looking like this:

1. Fabinho 40m
  2. Hendo 20m
  3. Nat Phillips 10m
  4. Firmino Free
  5. Keita Free
  6. Ox Free
  7. Milner Free
  8. Carvalho Loan
  9. Ramsay Loan
  10. Rhys Williams Loan
  1. Macca 35m
  2. Szobo 60m

Now we're at a point where it looks like we need two midfielders (one immediate starter), a LCB and maybe even RB cover. I'll be surprised if we do more than one more midfielder.

I wasn't too worried til I saw this. 

Just need to hope the club have something brewing behind the scenes, because otherwise we're about 2 injuries away from a repeat of the first half of last season. 

41 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

1. Fabinho 40m
  2. Hendo 20m
  3. Nat Phillips 10m
  4. Firmino Free
  5. Keita Free
  6. Ox Free
  7. Milner Free
  8. Carvalho Loan
  9. Ramsay Loan
  10. Rhys Williams Loan
  1. Macca 35m
  2. Szobo 60m

It's 95 million spent not 85 and you should also add Cody Gakpo list as he was a summer signing made earlier.

This makes the 2023 spend close to 150 million if you include the add ons.

At this point I'm still worried about the lack of centre backs being mentioned. We need at least one capable of being ready for the first team.

If we sell Phillips and Fabinho that's two players capable of doing a job there.

I'd argue that we need a first team centre back and ideally a longer term player too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I still really like the 2 French lads, especially Kone, but as a replacement for Henderson, I reckon Thuram's pace, power and raw athleticism could be a sensation.

Klopp could hone that lad into a monster.

I personally think Thuram absolutely happens now. He was off because Szoboszlai, Hendo and Elliott was a lot of depth for that RCM role. Now he comes in and takes Hendo's spot but also does bits in 6.

The question is who replaces Fab.

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

1. Fabinho 40m
  2. Hendo 20m
  3. Nat Phillips 10m
  4. Firmino Free
  5. Keita Free
  6. Ox Free
  7. Milner Free
  8. Carvalho Loan
  9. Ramsay Loan
  10. Rhys Williams Loan
  1. Macca 35m
  2. Szobo 60m

Well we haven’t actually sold Fabinho and Henderson yet. So probably when they actually go we’ll sign someone.

And you’re really counting Ramsay, Rhys Williams and van den Berg?

How many games did they play for us last season?

40 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

It's 95 million spent not 85 and you should also add Cody Gakpo list as he was a summer signing made earlier.

This makes the 2023 spend close to 150 million if you include the add ons.

My bad on the poor math (I was typing half asleep!) but not including Gapko for me, as the point is we went into this summer talking bit about a rebuild and have barely built a thing. If we read my post as a criticism of owner spending I would also go back the last two years because they spun us that long on the Jude stuff.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Well we haven’t actually sold Fabinho and Henderson yet. So probably when they actually go we’ll sign someone.

And you’re really counting Ramsay, Rhys Williams and van den Berg?

How many games did they play for us last season?

Ah yes we haven't sold them so in that case let's all make sure we pick them in our fantasy football teams for next year.

I was just listing the incomings and outgoings based on transfer market for fucks sake. Are those three leaving? Yes. So is it more accurate to leave them out? 

Fucking hell

5 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Ah yes we haven't sold them so in that case let's all make sure we pick them in our fantasy football teams for next year.

I was just listing the incomings and outgoings based on transfer market for fucks sake. Are those three leaving? Yes. So is it more accurate to leave them out? 

Fucking hell

Ah so you were just listing some outgoings of players that have and haven’t happened for some players who would be in the first team squad and some who wouldn’t and some incomings that have happened just for factual reference?

You weren’t making any point whatsoever. Good to know.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure Dave U said in one of the podcasts something along the lines of Thuram didn't really look like a number six based on the stats as he struggled in a lot of the key areas required for the role?

I think it was either Thuram or Szoboszlai, so I think that ship has sailed now anyway.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Permanent damage.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Transitional damage.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sorry but for someone who is negative pretty much all the time, you're way too positive about this and I don't really get it.

It doesn't matter that Hendo and Fabinho might not be good anymore, we are caught flat footed by these offers and they would have been important players this season. Selling players is fine if you plan for it. We're now forced to wing a midfield rebuild that is probably way too big.

I'm not sure flat footed is the right word. We supposedly have data, scouting and analysis 2nd to none in world football. Our players all have numbers on their heads, so I'm sure at any given time, we have continuity plans in place should someone hit that number. I'll give you it's not ideal to lose both of them. But having watched klopp spend most games on the touchline screaming at fabinho last season, I would hazard a guess he's not devastated by the outcome. I'm sure he'd have probably preferred to keep henderson in that light, but it's not like Henderson will make or break our season. He's gone and doesn't seem to have the game smarts and tactical brain that milner had to keep him relevant in his later years. 

The only thing I would say about being caught flat footed, is I imagine had we known back in April or whenever that these two were going, we'd have probably given milner a little more of what he wanted and tried harder to keep him around. Despite not being able to play as much as those two, he was head and shoulders better than either last season. 

9 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

1. Fabinho 40m
  2. Hendo 20m
  3. Nat Phillips 10m
  4. Firmino Free
  5. Keita Free
  6. Ox Free
  7. Milner Free
  8. Carvalho Loan
  9. Ramsay Loan
  10. Rhys Williams Loan
  1. Macca 35m
  2. Szobo 60m

I would say it looks like we go into the season without a right back at all because of the new shape. I think backup to Trent will be someone who can do the midfield stuff and get over and do a bit of covering when we lose the ball. I have said before, I think on occasion that would be bajcetic. Gomez covers konate. We need another lefty sided one as I don't think Kostas can do what robbo can at left centre back and we need vvd cover. Time for matip to go as I'm not sure he has a role in this new shape and he looked way if it anyway last season and if Kostas and matip go, we should bring in 2 defenders. And if we do decide to play a flat back 4, there's Trent, Gomez, plus any of the kids who don't go on loan. 

6 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'm sure Dave U said in one of the podcasts something along the lines of Thuram didn't really look like a number six based on the stats as he struggled in a lot of the key areas required for the role?

I think it was either Thuram or Szoboszlai, so I think that ship has sailed now anyway.

That's mainly because he's been played as an attacking mid or even on the left wing under a succession of managers so isn't being asked to do as much of the defensive work that would give him those numbers.

He started as a 6 and sees himself as a 6, If you look at two games against PSG from a season or so back there's one where he played as a 6 and one where he played as a more progressive 8 and he looks to have the tool to do both.

Whether you want to have him as your main 6 going into the start of the season is another matter.

7 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

My bad on the poor math (I was typing half asleep!) but not including Gapko for me, as the point is we went into this summer talking bit about a rebuild and have barely built a thing. If we read my post as a criticism of owner spending I would also go back the last two years because they spun us that long on the Jude stuff.

Negged for "math"

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

1. Fabinho 40m
  2. Hendo 20m
  3. Nat Phillips 10m
  4. Firmino Free
  5. Keita Free
  6. Ox Free
  7. Milner Free
  8. Carvalho Loan
  9. Ramsay Loan
  10. Rhys Williams Loan
  1. Macca 35m
  2. Szobo 60m

Of the 9 players who have actually left, how many started more than 5 games last season?  How many would we have wanted to start more than 5 next season?  

We've made two big signings already, as we've needed to. I still think we could do with a 19-21 year-old DM (Lavia?) and a similarly aged CB, as part of the evolution of the squad. Any other signings are entirely contingent on whether anyone else actually leaves.

I've lost track of whats happening. Have we sold 2 of our senior players or not? It always seems to be happening.

When has it done did happened? 

I hope we sign Lavia he's boss. If we do we'll have two of the best Wonderkids in international football. Like when we signed Pongolle and Le Tallec but for real real. 

Hasn't jones been playing a 6 type role for England. Could we have him and Trent as a double pivot with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai the other two box midfielders then its just a case of who your front 3 are. We would really need a left sided CB though. 

The squad seems really unbalanced.

9 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I've lost track of whats happening. Have we sold 2 of our senior players or not? It always seems to be happening.

When has it done did happened? 

I hope we sign Lavia he's boss. If we do we'll have two of the best Wonderkids in international football. Like when we signed Pongolle and Le Tallec but for real real. 

"It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that."

Rimmer, Arnold J.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Hasn't jones been playing a 6 type role for England. Could we have him and Trent as a double pivot with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai the other two box midfielders then its just a case of who your front 3 are. We would really need a left sided CB though. 

The squad seems really unbalanced.

I really do hope that we aren't pinning our hopes on Jones being the player who becomes our star this season. I don't think he's top quality. Good player, not great.

No doubt the Echo will be running headlines about how he can save Liverpool millions and be like a new signing while Pearce is sat, bursting transfer bubbles, in his Curtis Jones bed-set.