You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

There are deffo questions that need to be asked.....you'd like to think Klopp et al see the problem/s and get them fixed.

OK some of it is bad luck, and you can't do much about that - but repeated bad luck, over and over again? Hmmm.

I mean take Firmino 'a kick in training' above and how he is a doubt for probably at least 3 games - what sort of kick is that in a training session FFS....

There is so much like that going on at the club at the moment and a lot of it is difficult to fathom. 

Gomez didn't look great before his extension and generally looked worse since. Naby can barely stay fit and yet still we seem to want to extend. 

Jurgen is a guy of marginal gains so I cannot imagine for 1 second he doesn't see all this and so it's puzzingly as to why it continues on. 

Worst case he is steadfastly loyal and doesn't see it. Best case is that all this takeover stuff has been going on for far longer than we know and it's been a case of mend and make do (generally) until new owners are in place. I am not sure how Jürgen stands it otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, HBenn said:

There is so much like that going on at the club at the moment and a lot of it is difficult to fathom. 

Gomez didn't look great before his extension and generally looked worse since. Naby can barely stay fit and yet still we seem to want to extend. 

Jurgen is a guy of marginal gains so I cannot imagine for 1 second he doesn't see all this and so it's puzzingly as to why it continues on. 

Worst case he is steadfastly loyal and doesn't see it. Best case is that all this takeover stuff has been going on for far longer than we know and it's been a case of mend and make do (generally) until new owners are in place. I am not sure how Jürgen stands it otherwise. 

Deffo a tricky period.

Klopp is the best man we could hope for to oversee it all, I just hope the support he needs is there and by that i am not just talking transfer funds....it is more than that. We feel not as well organised/run as we could be at moment and even Klopp can't cover everything, he needs all the areas of club to be as effective as possible to support him and the team.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Deffo a tricky period.

Klopp is the best man we could hope for to oversee it all, I just hope the support he needs is there and by that i am not just talking transfer funds....it is more than that. We feel not as well organised/run as we could be at moment and even Klopp can't cover everything, he needs all the areas of club to be as effective as possible to support him and the team.

Agree. 

Hopefully the doctor's appointment will have a quiet and positive impact on the medical side.

On the footballing side it feels like we need an injection of positive energy - a bit like Diaz last season. It would be nice to see the club make a positive statement of intent in the market. 

Coupled with a quietening down of uthe injury situation would hopefully allow us to build real momentum in the 2nd half of the season. 

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

Agree. 

Hopefully the doctor's appointment will have a quiet and positive impact on the medical side.

On the footballing side it feels like we need an injection of positive energy - a bit like Diaz last season. It would be nice to see the club make a positive statement of intent in the market. 

Coupled with a quietening down of uthe injury situation would hopefully allow us to build real momentum in the 2nd half of the season. 

On top of all the support function stuff - we all know the desperation of the midfield situation....the forward situation is also a real concern IMHO.

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody Firmino's 'minor' issue sees him miss at least 3 games.

Roberto Firmino and James Milner are set to miss Liverpool's next couple of games, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.

The former was absent for Thursday night’s Carabao Cup defeat at Manchester City due to injury and the latter was forced off with a hamstring complaint shortly before half-time.

Both will be sidelined for the Reds’ forthcoming fixtures, which see Klopp’s men travel to Aston Villa on Boxing Day and then host Leicester City on December 30.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, an tha said:

Firmino's 'minor injury' has now seen him miss:

Man City 22nd Dec

Villa 26th Dec

Leicester 30th Dec

Brentford 2nd Jan

That says more about the number of games you have to play in a short space of time than whether Firmino's injury is minor or not.

That's still less than two weeks.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

That says more about the number of games you have to play in a short space of time than whether Firmino's injury is minor or not.

That's still less than two weeks.

It is still nigh on 2 weeks - to me a minor injury is a few days, a week max.

He was supposedly fit last Thursday, yet he does not even make the bench today. I remember discussing it with someone in here - i said i would be surprised if he played today and the other person quoted Firmino as saying he was 'fit' and although not ready for Leicester ready for Brentford (or words to that effect)

Just seems our injuries always linger longer than first thought/returns end up delayed.

Classic Liverpool and injuries this.

Klopp after Brentford game:

“Virgil felt a little bit the muscle and said it is fine, and he is a very good judge of these kinds of things. But I didn’t want to take any risks. The physios looked quite happy when I said we don’t take risks. It’s not an injury, he just felt the intensity"

Reports today:

Virgil van Dijk facing spell on sidelines for Liverpool. Hamstring injury sustained in defeat to Brentford is worse than first feared.

It's true that we've played poorly gor large parts of the season. Tactics, selections and transfer decisions haven't been great. But no one can tell me that having 21 players injured before the halfway point of the season isn't also a crucial factor in all of it.

21!!

Screenshot_20230105_001937_Chrome.jpg

Why does the club insist on uploading training photos? All it achieves is to induce panic in the fans when they can't see a player in the photos. Often, that apprehension seems to transit amongst the crowd at homes games. We know by now that, regardless of how strong our team is, their performances are elevated by a raucous Anfield.

Absolutely staggering from "not an injury" to this:

"Virg was a surprise for us and a big blow. The diagnosis was pretty harsh. It's more than a month, but I hope it goes quick. It's hard, but for him he has played an incredible amount of games in recent years."

Not sure what this means for Firmino as no mention...

Klopp on if any other players are close to returning from injury...

"Hendo. He did exactly what he was allowed to do yesterday and from today he is allowed to do everything. I think that's it."