You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Yeah mate but this is going to die and in a rapid tail spin. Its built on consumers spending £100 a month on TV to watch Bournemouth vs Brentford. Tech is advancing. My 70 year old mum now streams and we are considering 100m + on a 19 year old. It is an unsustainable business model. The emperor is naked and its coming. It will eat itself.

Can't say i'd be sad if and when it does to be fair.

25 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I can still see City catching Arsenal. 

Arsenal have dropped 7 points so far this season. I am actually pretty pleased  United didn’t beat them today. I thought they would, but pleased to be proven wrong.

They’ll drop more points, I think. So will City. It will be close and I don’t believe the Gunners will get 100

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Arsenal were good to watch but the exaggeration by Neville about the quality of the game was absurd. 1st half was ok but the 2nd half United just volleyed the ball 30 yard in the air and forward for most of it. They were putrid. 

If that was Arsenal v Southampton, there would have been no big fuss apart from a late winner and 3 very good goals

Arsenal’s biggest problem might be their manager.

Arteta is almost combusting in every game I’ve seen them in this season, and the closer they get to the end of the season, the more the pressure will build, especially on him.

His mentor has a history of bottling the big games by over analysing and changing his team around, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Arteta followed suit.

Also, if Odegaard gets injured for any length of time, that’ll be massively bad for them, as he makes them tick.

City will prioritise the CL but should be able to keep it going in the league given their squad and it’s strength in depth.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Arsenal were good to watch but the exaggeration by Neville about the quality of the game was absurd. 1st half was ok but the 2nd half United just volleyed the ball 30 yard in the air and forward for most of it. They were putrid. 

If that was Arsenal v Southampton, there would have been no big fuss apart from a late winner and 3 very good goals

I know it was a good game because I managed to ignore most of the shite from the commentary cunts and suspend my loathing of Utd and dislike of Arsenal , Just enjoyed a really competitive game with some great goals and a late winner.  

9 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Arsenal’s biggest problem might be their manager.

Arteta is almost combusting in every game I’ve seen them in this season, and the closer they get to the end of the season, the more the pressure will build, especially on him.

His mentor has a history of bottling the big games by over analysing and changing his team around, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Arteta followed suit.

Also, if Odegaard gets injured for any length of time, that’ll be massively bad for them, as he makes them tick.

City will prioritise the CL but should be able to keep it going in the league given their squad and it’s strength in depth.

I genuinely think he's actually going to spontaneously combust at some point this season.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

Be two games in hand over next couple of "gameweeks" (hate that phrase) but clubs above us have rearranged games scheduled - we as yet do not.

Might not be a bad thing we don't given current state - but when it comes to pts on board versus games in hand i have always been a pts on board man.

yeah me too. Just looking for those little ‘breaks’ that might, with luck, help us edge up the table.

2 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

yeah me too. Just looking for those little ‘breaks’ that might, with luck, help us edge up the table.

Yeah...actually a bit concerned we haven't got either of the 2 games we have to rearrange set - we clearly lost a potential window when we drew with Wolves in the cup and had to play a replay - but it could get messy and create a problem if we don't do something soon - other clubs already have and are, I don't understand why we aren't....things could become more complicated too if we progress in the cup and or europe.

Here explains how it could get messy...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-postponed-fixtures-league-cup-25951091

I don't think we will catch Arsenal. Offer my dad a bet on it 2 weeks ago, wouldn't be as generous again. City will still win it but Arsenal will be second.

Nice to see Utd drop 3 points in Fergie time this week. Title challenge lasted about 4 days.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah...actually a bit concerned we haven't got either of the 2 games we have to rearrange set - we clearly lost a potential window when we drew with Wolves in the cup and had to play a replay - but it could get messy and create a problem if we don't do something soon - other clubs already have and are, I don't understand why we aren't....things could become more complicated too if we progress in the cup and or europe.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-postponed-fixtures-league-cup-25951091

Given our current form, Im quite happy we havent arranged those fixtures. Unless of form does improve, Im not optomistic about getting past Real so that could potentially free up some midweek slots later in the season.

If our form is still rank, it wont really matter when the games are played.

That was a very interesting game to watch. What impressed me was Arsenal’s mentality. They come out of the blocks real quick, like we used to do, with their intensity and super high press, and usually, as we used to be, they are rewarded with an early goal. Didn’t happen today. No reward for the effort. Arsenal’s intensity can’t be sustained over long periods. (They couldn’t revert to it after the halftime break, I noticed...I was expecting it again, but it didn’t happen.)

Anyway at the start they threw everything at Utd for 15 minutes, but Utd got them on the counter and went 1 up.

From that point on, it was a different game, when either team, using different tactics, could have gained the upper hand, but Arsenal had the gas in the tank, and skill set to find that winning (possibly offside) goal.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Given our current form, Im quite happy we havent arranged those fixtures. Unless of form does improve, Im not optomistic about getting past Real so that could potentially free up some midweek slots later in the season.

If our form is still rank, it wont really matter when the games are played.

There is deffo an argument for not playing them given state we are in - but if we do progress in europe and the cup it could get bad and knowing our luck we will end up somehow getting ourselves in with a shout of top 4 and end up having something stupid like 3 games in 5 days or something daft at a really crucial time.

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't think we will catch Arsenal. Offer my dad a bet on it 2 weeks ago, wouldn't be as generous again. City will still win it but Arsenal will be second.

Nice to see Utd drop 3 points in Fergie time this week. Title challenge lasted about 4 days.

If we could get back to even say 75-80% of our best i'd still fancy us to catch the red mancs - I still don't think newcastle are all that either...but the problem is of course us!

That is my one bit of hope - we are not chasing a good chelsea side for example for 4th a side who are experienced in getting the job done - we are chasing a pretty ordinary side in newcastle, a side who have never been here before and who are very very dull and who IMHO have got results so far above their true current level.

That said Chelsea fans are probably thinking same as us and are not much worse off than us and Tottenham as flaky as they are are better off than us and must fancy job too.

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

That is my one bit of hope - we are not chasing a good chelsea side for example for 4th - we are chasing a pretty ordinary side in newcastle, a side who are very very dull and who IMHO have got results so far above their true current level.

You could say the same about us. We were lucky to win some games this season. 

49 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Arsenal have dropped 7 points so far this season. I am actually pretty pleased  United didn’t beat them today. I thought they would, but pleased to be proven wrong.

They’ll drop more points, I think. So will City. It will be close and I don’t believe the Gunners will get 100

Arsenal will finish somewhere between 83-89 points. 

30 minutes ago, an tha said:

Very messy. Doesn’t look good. To be honest, even though we’re the holders and back to back FA Cup wins is an achievement, if we’re knocked out by Brighton I can live with that. The key to this whole season, is Europe. After a poor start, we got our shit together and we look a different team

I know this is a long shot, but I just wonder if the players have an eye on the Real Madrid tie. The irony of the final being in Istanbul is not lost on the club nor we, the fans.

We had a shitty league season in 2004-5 and finished too low to qualify, but we won the bloody thing against  all the odds, completely nullifying our league results.

If we can put 2 performances together against Real, and we sneak it, the confidence gained will be season changing (in Europe at least) and I’m not going to apologise for having a strong imagination here, but I’m already walking around visualising that very situation. More than anything, I know I’m hurting from the Paris battle, and I’d say the players feel the same.

I suspect they want to right that wrong. As Jurgen says....doubters to believers.