You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jude Bellingham Welcome to Liverpool…

Why would Bellingham want to come here in Summer 24 if we've fucked him off now? He'll move this summer, it'll be for £120m+ to a Manchester team.  Meanwhile we won't spend close to what Bellingham goes for which will demonstrate that it was never on the cards.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm about 15 pages behind on this thread.... But for what it's worth a buddy of mine (not a red but hears stuff,.I've mentioned him before), says bellinghams family still believe he'll end up here. Can't see it myself, but this lad is usually spot on. 

image.gif

• Haha 8
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Moo said:

Why would Bellingham want to come here in Summer 24 if we've fucked him off now? He'll move this summer, it'll be for £120m+ to a Manchester team.  Meanwhile we won't spend close to what Bellingham goes for which will demonstrate that it was never on the cards.

Big part of me thinks you are spot on as there has been no evidence of FSG spending big in the past. 

However, I still cannot get my head around the coordinated leak to various journos that we are pulling out of the race. Cannot understand why we would do that unless the player wants to come here and we are forcing Dortmund to drive the price down. 

49 minutes ago, Moo said:

That's if we have fucked him off. The dialogue between LFC and the Bellingham's seems to have been consistent, and it's not impossible they are step-in-step on this - letting Dortmund know that their pricing is massively reducing Bellingham's options. Maybe he sees right through the City project, also PSG, Newcastle etc - the only clubs that could afford Dortmunds demands. That is, assuming Man Utd and Chelsea have been discounted due to their general fuckwittery in ownership. Another season closer to a Bosman makes Dortmund's position a little less secure. 

I know, assumptions galore, and clutching at straws. It's the hope that kills you.

45 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Big part of me thinks you are spot on as there has been no evidence of FSG spending big in the past. 

However, I still cannot get my head around the coordinated leak to various journos that we are pulling out of the race. Cannot understand why we would do that unless the player wants to come here and we are forcing Dortmund to drive the price down. 

I said similar myself when this first broke, it was all so odd it seemed like it could not be a true reflection of the situation, so I still don't think last week's developments change much.

But that's from my point of view that the signing was never happening.  FSG have "spent" big and what was £75m for VVD five years ago is not hugely far off what would be £120m for Bellingham this year.  BUT the VVD signing only came about as a result of a big sale so to my mind we would only sign Bellingham if it was funded by the sale of Salah.  I don't think that will happen but it's not impossible.

43 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

That's if we have fucked him off. The dialogue between LFC and the Bellingham's seems to have been consistent, and it's not impossible they are step-in-step on this - letting Dortmund know that their pricing is massively reducing Bellingham's options. Maybe he sees right through the City project, also PSG, Newcastle etc - the only clubs that could afford Dortmunds demands. That is, assuming Man Utd and Chelsea have been discounted due to their general fuckwittery in ownership. Another season closer to a Bosman makes Dortmund's position a little less secure. 

I know, assumptions galore, and clutching at straws. It's the hope that kills you.

Indeed, if we have fucked him off.  But the reports that this was definitely happening are from similar/the same sources that are now saying we have fucked him/the deal off.  If the earlier reports are to be believed then why not the latest ones? 

I think it's human nature to make the stories fit into what we want to happen.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm about 15 pages behind on this thread.... But for what it's worth a buddy of mine (not a red but hears stuff,.I've mentioned him before), says bellinghams family still believe he'll end up here. Can't see it myself, but this lad is usually spot on. 

Don't do this to me!

2 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Yes, if he stays at Dortmund another year, there's a chance he could end up here next summer when he will only have a year left on his contract and presumably therefore would be cheaper, especially if, as my gut instinct has always been, this is his preferred destination. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. The thing that bothers me a bit about that is that, if it were the case, we'd essentially be deferring a major signing for another year, which presumably would impact on who we buy this summer, again meaning we're "waiting" for another player when we arguably don't have the luxury of waiting.

Possibly, but signing Bellingham now would have a far bigger impact on who else we bring in this summer. If anything, him staying put is probably our ideal situation - rebuild with numbers now and he slots in next summer at a lower price. 

2 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Yes, if he stays at Dortmund another year, there's a chance he could end up here next summer when he will only have a year left on his contract and presumably therefore would be cheaper, especially if, as my gut instinct has always been, this is his preferred destination. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. The thing that bothers me a bit about that is that, if it were the case, we'd essentially be deferring a major signing for another year, which presumably would impact on who we buy this summer, again meaning we're "waiting" for another player when we arguably don't have the luxury of waiting.

For the signing to still be possible, the only scenario that makes sense in the timeline that has run since last week:

Bellingham only wants to come here. We bid approx £80m and were told we'd need to improve the offer to £130m as they feel they can get that in an auction. We said no, we were out, sending the message to journalists immediately. We informed Bellingham's team that we couldn't match Dortmund's valuation. He has told his club that he will stay for another year rather than join anyone else, run his contract down to it's final year, resulting in the price reducing by up to 30%. Dortmund probably had plans for this summer's transfers which are now on hold, so the ball is in their court if they want to reduce the asking price. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Moo said:

I said similar myself when this first broke, it was all so odd it seemed like it could not be a true reflection of the situation, so I still don't think last week's developments change much.

But that's from my point of view that the signing was never happening.  FSG have "spent" big and what was £75m for VVD five years ago is not hugely far off what would be £120m for Bellingham this year.  BUT the VVD signing only came about as a result of a big sale so to my mind we would only sign Bellingham if it was funded by the sale of Salah.  I don't think that will happen but it's not impossible.

Indeed, if we have fucked him off.  But the reports that this was definitely happening are from similar/the same sources that are now saying we have fucked him/the deal off.  If the earlier reports are to be believed then why not the latest ones? 

I think it's human nature to make the stories fit into what we want to happen.

I think Razoray explains it better than I!

30 minutes ago, Razoray said:

For the signing to still be possible, the only scenario that makes sense in the timeline that has run since last week:

Bellingham only wants to come here. We bid approx £80m and were told we'd need to improve the offer to £130m as they feel they can get that in an auction. We said no, we were out, sending the message to journalists immediately. We informed Bellingham's team that we couldn't match Dortmund's valuation. He has told his club that he will stay for another year rather than join anyone else, run his contract down to it's final year, resulting in the price reducing by up to 30%. Dortmund probably had plans for this summer's transfers which are now on hold, so the ball is in their court if they want to reduce the asking price. 

This might possibly be the only way we get him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Given the progress players seem to make whilst playing in the bundesliga, perhaps offering Elliott on loan for a season may be of interest to both parties….

Jones, Carvalho and/or Kelleher are also possibilities for that. 

55 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Didn't we announce ourselves as no longer interested in VVD when we got caught talking to him too? Different scenario, but a slight precedent. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Pretty much, the only reason for us to increase the bid is the assumption that there will be an auction. Doesn't make sense to increase it until the summer when, as you say, the impact on both teams' plans become more pressing.

Yes, exactly. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that that's the case. Saying that, I'm certainly not getting used to the idea that that is actually the case, but if he doesn't move this summer, then I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest we could move for him next summer.

23 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Didn't we announce ourselves as no longer interested in VVD when we got caught talking to him too? Different scenario, but a slight precedent. 

We did the exact same with Alisson and Roma too.

I think the difference this time is that Alisson and Roma obviously didn't have any other big clubs interested so it was in their best interests to negotiate a deal with us.

• Upvote 1

So you’re saying there’s still a chance?

(For the record this is the gambit I think FSG are playing. We’re only out to get the price down).