You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

41 minutes ago, dave u said:

I mean, fair play for somehow making a Nunez thread into a jibe at Robertson by claiming that Mané was better than John Barnes.

That's serious dedication to the cause.

not a jibe at Robertson - Mane would have made any left back in the world better.  But he was the full back in possession at the time.  I'm old enough to have seen more or less every home game Barnes played for us, and while Barnes had more frequent access to sublime skill, he definitely wasn't as effective overall as Mane.  

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

not a jibe at Robertson - Mane would have made any left back in the world better.  But he was the full back in possession at the time.  I'm old enough to have seen more or less every home game Barnes played for us, and while Barnes had more frequent access to sublime skill, he definitely wasn't as effective overall as Mane.  

Could not disagree more. I love Sadio, he was boss. But John Barnes was supreme. Defo top five all time.

And it so was a dig at Robbo, you can't help yourself!

I'm not even mad, I'm impressed!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Could not disagree more. I love Sadio, he was boss. But John Barnes was supreme. Defo top five all time.

Don't get me wrong, I love John Barnes - I don't think we'd seen anyone as good with the ball at his feet when he arrived, and I still think he was the best winger we ever had.  I do rate Robertson as a left back when he's on his game, but I'm irked by his limitations.

Mane signed for us when he was 24 (Nunez was 23?)and instantly lifted us a level. Spreadsheet numbers may not stack up but he joined a side in its very early stages of developing with some pretty average players and was one of the major catalysts to our success in the years to come.

Nunez doesnt compare despite the fact he joined a far better Liverpool team.

I want Nunez to be the top scorer in Europe because he plays for my club and seems a thoroughly decent lad but to suggest he gets 3 years (from the age of 23/24) to hit decent heights is 3 years we havent really got

Lines have deffo been drawn now. 

His goals/assists/contributions are comparable/better than Mané but he’ll never be as good as Mané. 

Ok. 

I’ve never known a Liverpool player split the fan base opinion like Darwin has. Some have been willing him to fail since he missed a chance in pre-season training when he arrived, I guess just so they could say they were right on the internet.

It’s actually quite mad. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

His goals/assists/contributions are comparable/better than Mané but he’ll never be as good as Mané. 

Ok. 

I’ve never known a Liverpool player split the fan base opinion like Darwin has. Some have been willing him to fail since he missed a chance in pre-season training when he arrived, I guess just so they could say they were right on the internet.

It’s actually quite mad. 

I don't think for anybody that's reasonable, there is anything being drawn. 

There's people who clowned him when he first signed, so the reaction to that by some was to pretend he is basically the perfect footballer. And given the fact he is the type of player who is very visible when he fails and succeeds, you get this cycle of people feeling the need to defend him.

The reality is that he has shown enough to think he could be a world class player, but he is not close to that level. I think that's the most fair way of describing how he's done so far, but even that would get the people who couldn't get over the initial internet trolls to say believing he could be world class is an unfair expectation compared to other players.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Ok. 

It’s actually quite mad. 

You haven't quite grasped this internet thingy just yet!

11 hours ago, Dave D said:

Mane signed for us when he was 24 (Nunez was 23?)and instantly lifted us a level. Spreadsheet numbers may not stack up but he joined a side in its very early stages of developing with some pretty average players and was one of the major catalysts to our success in the years to come.

Nunez doesnt compare despite the fact he joined a far better Liverpool team.

I want Nunez to be the top scorer in Europe because he plays for my club and seems a thoroughly decent lad but to suggest he gets 3 years (from the age of 23/24) to hit decent heights is 3 years we havent really got

The team Nunez joined was completely on its arse as we saw all last season.

Whether or not it was better than the one Mane joined is debatable but it wasn't particularly good & the midfield in particular, was awful.

Having said that, the whole Mane/Nunez debate is fucking infantile.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Ok. 

It’s actually quite mad. 

Seriously? I think we all want him to succeed- the problem is he misses sitters regularly - that costs the team. That’s why he never holds the position. It cost us 2 points at Luton and only other players (Trent) prevented it from costing more against Fulham. (And I’m aware it can’t all be laid at his door.) 

Teams winning titles are efficient - Nunes, for all his qualities, is inefficient. 

21 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

Seriously? I think we all want him to succeed- the problem is he misses sitters regularly - that costs the team. That’s why he never holds the position. It cost us 2 points at Luton and only other players (Trent) prevented it from costing more against Fulham. (And I’m aware it can’t all be laid at his door.) 

Teams winning titles are efficient - Nunes, for all his qualities, is inefficient. 

It’s roughly:

1% want him to fail because they are gloomy masochists

1% want him to fail so they can be right on the internet

88% want him to succeed and just score a few more golas

10% “you don’t have to score lots of goals to be a good striker but he is a good striker”

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The team Nunez joined was completely on its arse as we saw all last season.

Whether or not it was better than the one Mane joined is debatable but it wasn't particularly good & the midfield in particular, was awful.

Having said that, the whole Mane/Nunez debate is fucking infantile.

The team Nunez joined was coming off the back of challenging for the quadruple and beat City comfortably in the Charity Shield.

None if us could have seen the debacle to come. 
Your right though, it’s daft to debate it at all really 

We're a better side with him in, that's the top and bottom of it for me. He didn't always start matches, he hasn't always had runs of games and the coaching staff have clearly been trying to back engineer his style behind the scenes. If anybody ever needed a break, it's a new Klopp striker.

5 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

You. 

I want him to fail so badly I've suggested how we can get more out of him, where I think he needs to improve, how he needs to improve (you know like Klopp has also said) and how the team need to change to meet him half way.

Ironically those who want him to fail are those who think he can do know wrong and kill him with kindness sycophantically protecting him over everything he does and over praising him for the slightest action. If some had their way the day he signed would have been the best version of him.

Honesty and tough love is the best policy, 

15 hours ago, dave u said:

Mane was a fantastic player for us.

Peak John Barnes, and that’s was probably only 2 or three seasons to be fair, was possibly the best player in the world at the time, and a different level to peak Mane.

Barnes was completely unstoppable for a pretty long spell, he was an vital part of one of the best teams I ever saw, and in addition could win games through his individual excellence. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Mane was a fantastic player for us.

Peak John Barnes, and that’s was probably only 2 or three seasons to be fair, was possibly the best player in the world at the time, and a different level to peak Mane.

Barnes was completely unstoppable for a pretty long spell, he was an vital part of one of the best teams I ever saw, and in addition could win games through his individual excellence. 

Barnes was a very capable central midfielder let down by a series of poor to average partners.

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Shouldn’t be starting. Much more effective off the bench for the most part.

Not saying this is false, but this is the ironic part; you have people who think we are definitively a better team with him on the pitch, and others who think he is better off the bench. 

What that really says is theres a consistency issue. But as Ive said loads of times, he is not the only one. All the forwards except Salah are like that. 

• Upvote 2