You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

Rumours we have offered him 100k a week.

Feels ridiculous posting this given how much money that is, but seems a bit low by standards of today......if mancs or someone come in and offer 200k a week even without european cup footy we might be vulnerable here....

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Feels ridiculous posting this given how much money that is, but seems a bit low by standards of today......if mancs or someone come in and offer 200k a week even without european cup footy we might be vulnerable here....

I'm sure it's more than that, but I'm also sure it's less than any usual 80m+ signing would have been on.

He's a good player, potentially a very good one, but I'm amazed that we haven't just held fire and looked around a bit. There are players with lower risk levels that we could have signed instead - you can bet that we would have insisted that he be willing to take a lower wage to mitigate the risks. If we pay 80m (and again, I'm still expecting it to be significantly lower than that), that's 16m/season on amortisation of the fee over 5 years.

So if we pay him 5m/season (100k/week), that comes to 21m/season total cost. Right now Virgil is our highest total cost/season player at 25m/season, so if we think Darwin is potentially a very good player, that would seem to be just about in the realm of reason. If he expected 200k/week it takes his total cost to 31m/season, probably too high for a player who hasn't proven himself at the highest level just yet. If he comes and scores 20/season, I'm sure that he'll get a raise to 200k/week, but I doubt we'd start him that high with that big of a fee.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'm sure it's more than that, but I'm also sure it's less than any usual 80m+ signing would have been on.

He's a good player, potentially a very good one, but I'm amazed that we haven't just held fire and looked around a bit. There are players with lower risk levels that we could have signed instead - you can bet that we would have insisted that he be willing to take a lower wage to mitigate the risks. If we pay 80m (and again, I'm still expecting it to be significantly lower than that), that's 16m/season on amortisation of the fee over 5 years.

So if we pay him 5m/season (100k/week), that comes to 21m/season total cost. Right now Virgil is our highest total cost/season player at 25m/season, so if we think Darwin is potentially a very good player, that would seem to be just about in the realm of reason. If he expected 200k/week it takes his total cost to 31m/season, probably too high for a player who hasn't proven himself at the highest level just yet. If he comes and scores 20/season, I'm sure that he'll get a raise to 200k/week, but I doubt we'd start him that high with that big of a fee.

Fair play for the effort but I'm more of a graphic person, what's there not to like?

Screenshot_20220610-073310_Sky Sports.jpg

5 hours ago, an tha said:

The reports out of Portugal say we’ve agreed to pay €6m per year nett (i.e. after tax). That’s over €115,000 per week after tax, more than £98k after tax in sterling. I reckon that’s about £150k per week before the tax is deducted. There will probably be bonuses on top of that for hitting certain targets as well, as that’s how we operate.

15 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Nunez looks exactly like the cunt my wife fucks on holiday when she was 22 and made her squirt for the only time in her life with his elite cock and chiselled tanned body, in the afternoon, on a lilo, and washed his cock off in the kiddies pool before going to play five a side playing skins.  

Have the Colonel and Alan Sex ever been seen in the same room together?

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Elliott looked very good until the injury but not sure how you can say Carvalho is ‘by far’ the best creatively when he’s played 1 full season in the Championship with 10 goals & 8 assists in 36 games for a promotion side & Mitrovic scoring for fun. Elliott played for a midtable Blackburn side at a younger age than Carvalho with 7 goals & 11 assists in 41 games.  By far? It’s totally unknown how Carvalho will adjust to the Prem too. 

Because I've watched them both play a fair bit. They are both young so you could be right, because they are still in their development phase so you can easily see improvements or regression in different attributes. But Carvalho is clearly superior technically, even though Elliott also has very good technique. But this kid is in the Coutinho stratosphere with his close control.

As for the creativity part, what Elliott did at a younger age was super impressive, but he played on the wing basically the entire season, and Blackburn played through him pretty heavily. He was averaging close to 70 touches per 90. Carvalho played a lot as a number 10 in the most compressed areas of the pitch, and a position a lot of teams don't even use in their formation because it's so much easier to mark those players out of the game unless they are quality. Carvalho was getting around 48 touches per 90 because of that, despite playing for a better team. We will see what happens with them developmentally, but purely in an attacking sense, I think Carvalho talent wise is a level above.

• Upvote 1

My personal thoughts are presumptions we havent looked at other players are misplaced. The people involved in our transfers would, I think, have run the rule over the lad from Red Bull and the other lad, David etc.

In fact, Im pretty confident they've been tracking all these players including Nunez via their analytics software. But the added importance and critical thing for me is, under Jurgen's new contract, he now has greater influence on who we sign over and above his 'last word on who comes in and who goes out.'

It seems to me Jurgen is fully onboard with Nunez being his number one transfer target this summer. If the Nunez deal was to fall through, heaven forbid, maybe we would turn our attention to the two mentioned and others, who knows?

As for Nunez's wedge, even if we're giving him £100k a week after tax, that is probably 4 or 5 times what he's likely getting at Benfica so a massive increase. Yeah, newcastle could blow us out of the water on wages if they wanted to just like chelsea did with Werner.

End of the day, it comes down to the player and his agent: money or playing here under Klopp.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

My personal thoughts are presumptions we havent looked at other players are misplaced. The people involved in our transfers would, I think, have run the rule over the lad from Red Bull and the other lad, David etc.

In fact, Im pretty confident they've been tracking all these players including Nunez via their analytics software. But the added importance and critical thing for me is, under Jurgen's new contract, he now has greater influence on who we sign over and above his 'last word on who comes in and who goes out.'

It seems to me Jurgen is fully onboard with Nunez being his number one transfer target this summer. If the Nunez deal was to fall through, heaven forbid, maybe we would turn our attention to the two mentioned and others, who knows?

As for Nunez's wedge, even if we're giving him £100k a week after tax, that is probably 4 or 5 times what he's likely getting at Benfica so a massive increase. Yeah, newcastle could blow us out of the water on wages if they wanted to just like chelsea did with Werner.

End of the day, it comes down to the player and his agent: money or playing here under Klopp.

I think the club will look at things like big game performance, work rate and mentality, and have those things elevate a player over another identified player who might technically have a superior more well rounded game. But there is no question this is a much much bigger risk than any other player in this price bracket. Do we get a faster Cavani, or a taller Werner? This would be Klopp backing in his developmental abilities to develop him into the former, which is plenty reason to be optimistic even though he shouldn't really cost more than what we paid for Diaz.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, M_B said:

Got a bad feeling about this. Was expecting an agreement by now. Might just be negative fantasy, but it feels like Benfica are playing hardball with Man Utd in the frame. 

United almost definitely aren't getting into a bidding war. I'd be more worried if City, Newcastle or one of the other European clubs with mega money were involved. Look at the prices Benfica have sold their stars for. It would have been done by now if it was Porto, but Benfica are in a much better financial situation and are used to extracting inflated fees for players.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

I think the club will look at things like big game performance, work rate and mentality, and have those things elevate a player over another identified player who might technically have a superior more well rounded game. But there is no question this is a much much bigger risk than any other player in this price bracket. Do we get a faster Cavani, or a taller Werner? This would be Klopp backing in his developmental abilities to develop him into the former, which is plenty reason to be optimistic even though he shouldn't really cost more than what we paid for Diaz.

Yeah, fair point that the club undoubtedly analyse a vast range of esoteric variables that most of us wouldn't even think of. Why wouldn't they with the amount of money being bid? 

If he's a faster Cavani, we're going to need a bigger trophy cabinet. 

Overall, I think the fact that he clearly wants to come here will be decisive in getting this one over the line. 

28 minutes ago, M_B said:

Got a bad feeling about this. Was expecting an agreement by now. Might just be negative fantasy, but it feels like Benfica are playing hardball with Man Utd in the frame. 

That's like saying my wife is playing hardball with the Elephant Man in the frame.