You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Airline Chaos/Cancelled Flights

We are in Crete, came through Manchester airport on Friday morning.  Checking in bags took 10 mins max and security was fine.  Flight was delayed maybe 30 mins as getting the baggage on was slow.  

(Crete is nice by the way, never been before.  We are right opposite Spinalonga). 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

We are in Crete, came through Manchester airport on Friday morning.  Checking in bags took 10 mins max and security was fine.  Flight was delayed maybe 30 mins as getting the baggage on was slow.  

(Crete is nice by the way, never been before.  We are right opposite Spinalonga). 

We visited Spinalonga and had to leave pronto because of a massive storm, I was shitting myself in the boat whilst the kids happily ate Magnums.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Flying to the States from Dublin on Thursday, worried about the queues and delays there recently. @JohnnyH What you hearing? 

You’ll be fine. It’s improved considerably and even at that it’s the weekends that are the big problem. A Thursday is not bad.  What time is your flight?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carradona said:

Flying to the States from Dublin on Thursday, worried about the queues and delays there recently. @JohnnyH What you hearing? 

Fly through Cork instead. We're going this weekend. I might have to be there as early as an hour before to feel really sure we'll get on board...

7 hours ago, Carradona said:

7 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

You’ll be fine. It’s improved considerably and even at that it’s the weekends that are the big problem. A Thursday is not bad.  What time is your flight?

This morning was around 50 mins to get through security at T2 (where US flights go from). I assume you’re not flying in the morning “first wave” but later in the morning/afternoon so you’re not in the busiest part of the day. But don’t forget that you clear US Customs in Dublin and when I went to Washington recently that was the biggest queue by a long distance. So I’d not be getting there any later than 2.5 hrs before. Better to be hanging around having a coffee airside, then panicking in the CBP queue 20 mins prior to departure. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DJLJ said:

Fly through Cork instead. We're going this weekend. I might have to be there as early as an hour before to feel really sure we'll get on board...

Mind yourself there. Cork Airport have quietly been having pretty big queues at pinch points too recently and now recommend turning up to a minimum of 1.5 - 2 hours before weekend fights. 

The only airport untouched by all this is Shannon. Where I’ll be in about 3 hours. 

Flew out to Malta from Manc T1 Friday before last, check in and security was 2 3/4 hours, flight was 2 1/2 hours late out, so the first bit wasnt as bad as some horror stories but the delay I guess I expected.

Coming back last Friday through Malta airport in about 20mins but flight again delayed so did a walk in booking to their very nice VIP lounge and got stuck into the complimentary bar. Bags were an hour to arrive back at Manc T1, so again, not as bad as some horror stories. As a comparison I flew back from Cologne in April and bags were 2 1/2 hours.

4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

This morning was around 50 mins to get through security at T2 (where US flights go from). I assume you’re not flying in the morning “first wave” but later in the morning/afternoon so you’re not in the busiest part of the day. But don’t forget that you clear US Customs in Dublin and when I went to Washington recently that was the biggest queue by a long distance. So I’d not be getting there any later than 2.5 hrs before. Better to be hanging around having a coffee airside, then panicking in the CBP queue 20 mins prior to departure. 

Cheers, Johnny. Heading to Washington around midday on Thursday. I have an evening and a day to do touristy stuff before the wedding party begins. Any suggestions? 

Cheers, Johnny. Heading to Washington around midday on Thursday. I have an evening and a day to do touristy stuff before the wedding party begins. Any suggestions? 

I had two mornings available so I just walked the length of the place.  I started at Capitol Hill (and was amazed with the amount of tourists with MAGA hats on and not an ounce of shame) literally and walked towards the Lincoln Memorial which means you take in the Whitehouse, Washington Memorial, WW2 memorial, reflecting pool, Vietnam wall etc.  A longish walk, but good. I did the National History Museum which I think would be really good with kids if you have yours with you.  If not, then the Holocaust museum is sobering and worth it.

If you get the time then cross the bridge behind the Lincoln Memorial and walk up to Arlington cemetary.  I loved that. 

• Upvote 2

I was on that Washington flight and there's a good few US flights at that time, so allow time to get through CBP.  However, the do call forward in that queue, so you won't miss your flight. 

• Upvote 1